What is ERROR 215
Author Message
 What is ERROR 215

Quote:

>A programe that is written in Pascal and has been running for years
>has now started stopping with error 215
>Can anyone tell me what this error is.

For Borland (Turbo) Pascal it is:

*
Run-time error 215: Arithmetic overflow error
This error is reported by statements compiled in the {$Q+} state when
an integer arithmetic operation caused an overflow, such as when the
result of the operation was outside the supported range.
*

Bob Ferguson

--
J.R. Ferguson, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

Quote:
>Subject: What is ERROR 215

>Date: Thu, Oct 30, 1997 00:13 EST

>A programe that is written in pascal and has been running for years
>has now started stopping with error 215
>Can anyone tell me what this error is.

It's the arithmetic overflow error.

However, since you said it only happened recently, I suspected that this is
 probably due to a problem in the CRT unit with high speed machines (such as
 Pentium 200 mHz).  The link for the patch for this problem has been posted
 somewhere here but I don't have it.  Hopefully someone reading this will give
 you that link(s).

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

Quote:

>A programe that is written in pascal and has been running for years
>has now started stopping with error 215
>Can anyone tell me what this error is.

Have received this arithmetic overflow error when the calculation usually
resulted in a value less than 32,767 into an integer variable, but now
results in some value greater than 32768, with a program that was originally
complied with the {$Q+} directive set.

The program should be re-compiled with the variable in question typed as a
longint.

If working with record numbers or index files be thankful that the data
hopefully isn't corrupted, and the error message shut things down before
data loss.

TGA

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

A programe that is written in pascal and has been running for years
has now started stopping with error 215
Can anyone tell me what this error is.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

Quote:

>A programe that is written in pascal and has been running for years
>has now started stopping with error 215
>Can anyone tell me what this error is.

From Pascal Help File:

  +---------------------------+
  | Arithmetic overflow error |
  +---------------------------+

 Reported by statements compiled with {$Q} when
 an integer arithmetic operation caused an
 overflow or the result was outside the
 supported range.

Dennis D. Powers
PC/POLL SYSTEMS

Support the anti-Spam amendment
Join at http://www.cauce.org/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

Quote:

>A programe that is written in pascal and has been running for years
>has now started stopping with error 215
>Can anyone tell me what this error is.

  +---------------------------+
  | Arithmetic overflow error |
  +---------------------------+

 Reported by statements compiled with {$Q} when
 an integer arithmetic operation caused an
 overflow or the result was outside the
 supported range.

(extracted from BP 7.0 help on run-time error messges.

Peter de Jong

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

Quote:

>>A programe that is written in pascal and has been running for years
>>has now started stopping with error 215
>>Can anyone tell me what this error is.

>Have received this arithmetic overflow error when the calculation usually
>resulted in a value less than 32,767 into an integer variable, but now
>results in some value greater than 32768, with a program that was originally
>complied with the {$Q+} directive set.

>The program should be re-compiled with the variable in question typed as a
>longint.

Yeah, and if you burn a fuse, you should replace it with a bigger one.
Debugging is not that easy as mechanically replacing integers with
larger ones. Instead one should check what the actual cause is and
correct it.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

Quote:

>A programe that is written in pascal and has been running for years
>has now started stopping with error 215
>Can anyone tell me what this error is.

Sure, it's an 'arithmetic overflow'.
Perhaps after running for years something has grown
too large?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 What is ERROR 215

If you didn't write the program why not just take some money out of the bank
 and then the value of the integer will be less.  If you want to know what to
 do with the excess call me!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. runtime error 215

2. FPC: runtime error 215 - lack in documentation....

3. RunTime error 215?

4. runtime error 215

5. What is DOS ERROR 215

6. STR procedure and runtime error 215

7. Runtime Error 215 : What is it?

8. Error #215 Arithmetic overflow, where it shouldn′t occur(?)

9. DBLookupCombo - Documentation/Am I mad?

10. I am really sorry

11. What am I doing wrong...

12. I am stuck - TDecisionQuery AV in SQLORA8.DLL