"longstring"
Author Message
 "longstring"

Ok, haven't used TurboPascal in.....well, a long long time.....but have a
bit of old code I need to revamp in something newer.

Can someone tell me what the properties of a "longstring" variable are?

That is to say, how long is a longstring?

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:49:50 GMT
 "longstring"

Quote:
> Ok, haven't used TurboPascal in.....well, a long long time.....but
have a
> bit of old code I need to revamp in something newer.

> Can someone tell me what the properties of a "longstring" variable
are?

> That is to say, how long is a longstring?

There is no such thing as longstring in turbo pascal.
The two types available are
- string i.e. an array [0..255] of chars. The 0^th char is used to store
the length of the string.
- null terminated string, (only in version 7.0x) maximum length is 65535
chars, the last one is a chr(0)

If you use a lot of strings in your program it is wise to shorten the
length of the strings used.

e.g.

type TString12: string[12];
Const mytext:Tstring12='Hello World';

In order to find what longstring is you'll have to search your source
code to see how it is defined.

--
Femme

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:46:16 GMT
 "longstring"

Quote:

> Ok, haven't used TurboPascal in.....well, a long long time.....but have a
> bit of old code I need to revamp in something newer.

> Can someone tell me what the properties of a "longstring" variable are?

> That is to say, how long is a longstring?

Longstring is a Delphi type, not a Turbo Pascal type.

Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:24:23 GMT
 "longstring"
On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:49:50 -0400, "Algomeysa"

Quote:

>Ok, haven't used TurboPascal in.....well, a long long time.....but have a
>bit of old code I need to revamp in something newer.

>Can someone tell me what the properties of a "longstring" variable are?

>That is to say, how long is a longstring?

What version of TP? In Borland Pascal I think it was the equivalent of
a max longint (2 billion), but in TP I don't think it was quite that
large.

Mon, 28 Nov 2005 04:48:19 GMT

1. The keys "-"/"+"/"*"

2. ""256 Color Mouse""

3. What are "Denormals" and "Nans"

4. Utility to convert "asm" to "inline( )"

5. "delete from" followed by "insert into" = AV

6. "Replace Connection", "Unable to connect to: PARADOX".

7. HELP!!: "Multiple net files","Lock file has grown too large"

8. A problem in creating equal sized "packets" from a set of "packages".

9. How to make a "xxx.EXE" from the "xxx.PAS"???

10. "blob" and "DBT" file errors

11. ComboBox that shows "Name" and returns "Value"?

12. "Backup/restore" and "save" procedures for delphi/paradox