Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C
Author Message
 Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C

Do you know where can I find a  free translator to change a Turbo Pascal
program in a C program?
If yes let me know please, I'm desperate!!!!!
 Thank you
Sim

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C

Quote:

> Do you know where can I find a  free translator to change a Turbo Pascal
> program in a C program?
> If yes let me know please, I'm desperate!!!!!

Do you really need this ? There could be other solutions.
A Turbo Pascal -> C translation is non trivial - roughly
a leap of 15 years backward. C has no nested procedures,
same variable visibility as fortran 66, etc. People trying
these sorts of translations, even using known tools, have
very BAD experiences!
Good luck...
Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C

Quote:

>> Do you know where can I find a free translator to change a Turbo Pascal
>> program in a C program?

There are a number of these available; for example, "p2c", which came with
my distribution of Linux. I don't have a URL for it, but I do have an email
address (probably outdated): daveg at csvax.cs.caltech.edu (Dave Gillespie)

Quote:
> A Turbo Pascal -> C translation is non trivial - roughly
> a leap of 15 years backward. C has no nested procedures,

C bashing? Please. How often have you used nested procedures, anyway?

--
"Wow!  Virtual memory!  Now I can have a REALLY big RAM disk!"

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C

Quote:

>> A Turbo Pascal -> C translation is non trivial - roughly
>> a leap of 15 years backward. C has no nested procedures,
> C bashing? Please. How often have you used nested procedures, anyway?

Was that "C bashing? Please be realistic" or "C bashing? Please continue"?
<grin>

In any case, I at least make moderate use of nested procedures - most
reasonably complicated programs I write have one around somewhere. It's not
too infrequent to have a task that's deserving of its own procedure, but is
only going to be used in one other procedure.

Quote:
> "Wow!  Virtual memory!  Now I can have a REALLY big RAM disk!"

<grin> I like that one.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C

Quote:

> > A Turbo Pascal -> C translation is non trivial - roughly
> > a leap of 15 years backward. C has no nested procedures,
> C bashing? Please.

Not at all. C has plenty of interesting qualities, but it is also
a macro-assembler designed in the 1960s - don't ask too much of it!

Quote:
> How often have you used nested procedures, anyway?

Each time I need it - where the procedure has sense in a certain
context, with certain types, variables, and it would be useless
not to nest it !

A colleague tried to translate a big project in Modula-2 to C++,
with plenty of usefully nested procedures, using an automated
translator and it didn't succeed. Meanwhile a translation to Ada
with only search & replace did.

It does not mean that a translation is impossible. There even are
Ada95 compilers that produce C code as intermediate language -
but the C code is not meant to be read or re-worked.

Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C

Quote:
> > A Turbo Pascal -> C translation is non trivial - roughly
> > a leap of 15 years backward. C has no nested procedures,

> C bashing? Please. How often have you used nested procedures, anyway?

I use them often. If I have a (large) procedure which uses some code
that
is duplicate (same code, other variables), I use nested procedures.

--

Pascal page on www.stack.nl/~marcov/xtdfpc.htm
Fortuneclone (written in Pascal with humor archive ) on

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Do you know where can I find a translator from Turbo Pascal to C
Hi,

[Nested subroutines]

Quote:
> I use them often. If I have a (large) procedure which uses some code
> that
> is duplicate (same code, other variables), I use nested procedures.

In addition to that, they can be quite a useful tool for namespace
management. Also the issue of side-effects through assignment to
global variables becomes less serious when everything occurs within
another procedure or function.

Maybe this is not a "why I use Pascal and not X" feature, but I don't
think it is (or should be) regarded as "{*filter*}".

 - Sebastian

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Turbo Pascal to C or Modula2 Translator?

2. I would like to know the difference between Borland Pascal 7.0 and Turbo Pascal 7.0

3. Anyone know a better way of doing this?

4. Anyone know a better way of doing this?

5. help I need to know whether this can be done

6. Who knows their Turbo Pascal and C++ (dos)?

7. Anyone know which version Turbo Pascal needed?

8. anyone know about Borland / Turbo Pascal 7.01

9. Doing a find on a query - Delphi 1

10. Doing a find on a query - Delphi 1

11. Where can I find Borland Turbo Pascal 6.0?

12. Need to find Turbo Pascal v6.0