Port to FPC, - advice needed please.
Author Message
 Port to FPC, - advice needed please.

We have an large project in BP.  We are looking to port to a 32 bit
compiler, perhaps FPC.

We are trying a assess what obstacles are ahead of us and how much time will
be needed to accomplish this task.  I am told that one of the major (?)
considerations is the following.

We use WIN.OBJ, WIN.ASM in our existing code. I believe these files
originally came with Turbo Pascal. (without the source code.)

Has anyone else dealt with these files in a port.

Any help would be appreciated on this or related topic.

Thanks

Jake Taylor

Sat, 05 Jun 2004 23:46:59 GMT
 Port to FPC, - advice needed please.

Quote:

> We have an large project in BP.  We are looking to port to a 32 bit
> compiler, perhaps FPC.

Sounds good :-)

Quote:
> We are trying a assess what obstacles are ahead of us and how much time will
> be needed to accomplish this task.  I am told that one of the major (?)
> considerations is the following.
> We use WIN.OBJ, WIN.ASM in our existing code. I believe these files
> originally came with Turbo Pascal. (without the source code.)

First, try to asset you target platforms. If it is win32, there probably
won't be a problem, since there will be some equivalent in unit windows.

Quote:
> Has anyone else dealt with these files in a port.

This is hard to say, it pretty much depends on the units used.

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 02:53:15 GMT
 Port to FPC, - advice needed please.
On Tue, 18 Dec 2001 10:46:59 -0500, "Jake Taylor"

Quote:

>We have an large project in BP.  We are looking to port to a 32 bit
>compiler, perhaps FPC.

>We are trying a assess what obstacles are ahead of us and how much time will
>be needed to accomplish this task.  I am told that one of the major (?)
>considerations is the following.

>We use WIN.OBJ, WIN.ASM in our existing code. I believe these files
>originally came with Turbo Pascal. (without the source code.)

Actually, I believe win.asm is the source code for win.obj. At least
if one were to assemble win.asm, the output file would be called
win.obj by default...

Quote:

>Any help would be appreciated on this or related topic.

I guess my only question would be _why_ do you want to do this? Is
there some reason not to review the original requirements and write a
new application if one is needed? This provides the option to fix
existing bugs and deficiencies without incurring much extra risk of
unknowingly introducing new bugs.

Al Moore

Sun, 06 Jun 2004 03:55:19 GMT

1. need BP com port driver please

2. Rookie COM port advice

3. Linux/PPC port of FPC working

4. FPC Unit for serial port

5. Please advice with right books ...

6. Advice please - writing Report Preview capability

7. DBCombobox error, please advice

8. MOD Player Advice Please?

9. Please give expert advice!

10. Speed in D3 - any advice PLEASE !

11. Please Give Advice for One to Many Relationship Concept

12. Some Advice Please