Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?
Author Message
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?

Hi from DownUnder,

There have been several recent references to TP for Windows 1.5. Three
questions.

1) As a newbie, I don't understand why, if you want to use Pascal to create
Windows programs, you wouldn't simply use the wonderful delphi RAD software.
Is it a question of expense?

2) If we are simply learning structured programming with Pascal, why not
stay with Turbo Pascal 7, which works beautifully on the Windows platform?

3a) Do users of Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 like this software?
3b) Is it free?
3c) Where can I look at it (download it)?

Ok, thats *five* questions :-) Sorry :-(

Thanks for your insights.
David

David

Fri, 27 May 2005 07:52:51 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?
I have never tried any other version. I am in college and this is what they
gave me to work with. I always assumed that 1.5 was a learning program. I
have read many messages on here and found that many different versions are
being used and I have wondered about those other version.

Quote:
> Hi from DownUnder,

> There have been several recent references to TP for Windows 1.5. Three
> questions.

> 1) As a newbie, I don't understand why, if you want to use Pascal to
create
> Windows programs, you wouldn't simply use the wonderful Delphi RAD
software.
> Is it a question of expense?

> 2) If we are simply learning structured programming with Pascal, why not
> stay with Turbo Pascal 7, which works beautifully on the Windows platform?

> 3a) Do users of Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 like this software?
> 3b) Is it free?
> 3c) Where can I look at it (download it)?

> Ok, thats *five* questions :-) Sorry :-(

> Thanks for your insights.
> David

> David

---

Fri, 27 May 2005 08:43:35 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?

Quote:

> Hi from DownUnder,

> There have been several recent references to TP for Windows 1.5. Three
> questions.

> 1) As a newbie, I don't understand why, if you want to use Pascal to create
> Windows programs, you wouldn't simply use the wonderful Delphi RAD software.
> Is it a question of expense?

More of age.  Delphi, from Version 2, is for Win32 (i.e. Windows 95/NT
and above) and dates from 1996 or later.    TPW 1.5 is (I think) from
1992/3) and is targetted at Windows 3.x, which is Win16.

I believe there was, at the time, TP7 for DOS, TPW1.5 for Windows (I
think it did DOS too) and BP7 for DOS, protected mode DOS and Windows.
 The latter came with many useful tools and was the 'professional'
toolset, whilst the former were aimed at professionals and amatuers
alike.

I'm not sure about popularity, anyone have any sales figures or just
some good guesses at the ratio of sales between the three?

Quote:
> 2) If we are simply learning structured programming with Pascal, why not
> stay with Turbo Pascal 7, which works beautifully on the Windows platform?

I'd imagine TPW1.5 works just as well though, and at least gives you
windows (albeit 16 bit windows) programs.

Quote:
> 3a) Do users of Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 like this software?

You'd have to ask them!  I've tried all three and like BP7 best, but
then it is the most comprehensive of them.

Quote:
> 3b) Is it free?

Not as far as i know.

Quote:
> 3c) Where can I look at it (download it)?

It's not free so you'd need to buy it you wanted it, at ebay perhaps.
 It's not supported by Borland anymore.   You may as well stick to the
free TP5.5 (or TP7 at borland.fr) if you want a free one, but you can
get old compilers at sales, ebay and so on too.

Fri, 27 May 2005 17:40:18 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?

Quote:
> > Hi from DownUnder,

> > There have been several recent references to TP for Windows 1.5. Three
> > questions.

> > 1) As a newbie, I don't understand why, if you want to use Pascal to
create
> > Windows programs, you wouldn't simply use the wonderful Delphi RAD
software.
> > Is it a question of expense?

> More of age.  Delphi, from Version 2, is for Win32 (i.e. Windows 95/NT
> and above) and dates from 1996 or later.    TPW 1.5 is (I think) from
> 1992/3) and is targetted at Windows 3.x, which is Win16.

> I believe there was, at the time, TP7 for DOS, TPW1.5 for Windows (I
> think it did DOS too) and BP7 for DOS, protected mode DOS and Windows.
>  The latter came with many useful tools and was the 'professional'
> toolset, whilst the former were aimed at professionals and amatuers
> alike.

> I'm not sure about popularity, anyone have any sales figures or just
> some good guesses at the ratio of sales between the three?

> > 2) If we are simply learning structured programming with Pascal, why not
> > stay with Turbo Pascal 7, which works beautifully on the Windows
platform?

> I'd imagine TPW1.5 works just as well though, and at least gives you
> windows (albeit 16 bit windows) programs.

> > 3a) Do users of Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 like this software?

> You'd have to ask them!  I've tried all three and like BP7 best, but
> then it is the most comprehensive of them.

> > 3b) Is it free?

> Not as far as i know.

> > 3c) Where can I look at it (download it)?

> It's not free so you'd need to buy it you wanted it, at ebay perhaps.
>  It's not supported by Borland anymore.   You may as well stick to the
> free TP5.5 (or TP7 at borland.fr) if you want a free one, but you can
> get old compilers at sales, ebay and so on too.

Hi gswork

Yes I have TP7, the free French version and have just started with it; I'll
stick to this now that I know I'm not missing out on anything with TP for W
1.5.

Can I just clarify some terminology?

As I see it, we can say that TP7 works on, under, with, or is supported by,
the Windows OS or platform. But TP7 does not MAKE "windows" programs per se,
that is, programs with an interactive graphical user interface; it is used
(typically) for structured programming to make console programs, although it
can be used for OOP.

Is that right? Or am I not giving TP7 enough credit?

Likewise, TP for W 1.5 would not MAKE "windows" programs (GUIs) but is
rather supported by the Windows OS?

Thanks in advance
David

Sat, 28 May 2005 07:55:01 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?

Quote:

> Yes I have TP7, the free French version and have just started with it; I'll
> stick to this now that I know I'm not missing out on anything with TP for W
> 1.5.

> Can I just clarify some terminology?

> As I see it, we can say that TP7 works on, under, with, or is supported by,
> the Windows OS or platform.

It works as a DOS program and therefore is supported by any OS which
is DOS compatible, this includes Windows 9x, and to some extent
Windows 2000 or later, and indeed FreeDOS and DOSemu (for instance).

Quote:
> But TP7 does not MAKE "windows" programs per se,
> that is, programs with an interactive graphical user interface;

Indeed not, although that doesn't mean it has now GUI potential.
Turbo Vision (which is available in TP7) gives you textmode GUI tools
with which you can make use of a GUI like environment (like the way
you can use a mouse with the TP7 editor), but it's not Windows in any
way.

Quote:
> it is used
> (typically) for structured programming to make console programs, although it
> can be used for OOP.

I think that's a good assessment.   OOP was around since TP 5.5 and i
recommend experimenting with the OOP approach in TP.   It's quite easy
to follow (i'm sure there is a pdf on the net somewhere explaining how
to use OOP in TP, no link though, sorry).

Quote:

> Is that right? Or am I not giving TP7 enough credit?

> Likewise, TP for W 1.5 would not MAKE "windows" programs (GUIs) but is
> rather supported by the Windows OS?

TPW would make Windows programs, but for 16 bit Windows  (i.e. Windows
3.x).   Just happens that Windos 95 onwards are usually pretty good at
running a Win16 program, provided nothing odd is done with access to
memory or hardware.
Quote:

> Thanks in advance
> David

Sat, 28 May 2005 17:26:55 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?

Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:55:01 :-

Quote:

>Can I just clarify some terminology?

>As I see it, we can say that TP7 works on, under, with, or is supported by,
>the Windows OS or platform.

Better to say that TP7 is supported by DOS, and that DOS is adequately
emulated by Windows.

Quote:
>But TP7 does not MAKE "windows" programs per se,
>that is, programs with an interactive graphical user interface; it is used
>(typically) for structured programming to make console programs, although it
>can be used for OOP.

TP7 does not make Windows-mode programs calling the Windows GUI.  But
you can write your own GUI in it.

Quote:
>Is that right? Or am I not giving TP7 enough credit?

>Likewise, TP for W 1.5 would not MAKE "windows" programs (GUIs) but is
>rather supported by the Windows OS?

TPW requires Windows to run, and makes only Windows-mode programs that
do not run in plain DOS.

The BP7 product, however, includes TP7.  It also includes BP7 & BPW,
both of which can compile for SOS (real & protected) mode, and for
Windows mode.

See my pas-bptp.htm, via sig line 2 below.

  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt> Pedt Scragg: c.l.p.b. mFAQ;

Sat, 28 May 2005 23:39:06 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?

> > As I see it, we can say that TP7 works on, under, with, or is supported
by,
> > the Windows OS or platform.

> It works as a DOS program and therefore is supported by any OS which
> is DOS compatible, this includes Windows 9x, and to some extent
> Windows 2000 or later, and indeed FreeDOS and DOSemu (for instance).

> > But TP7 does not MAKE "windows" programs per se,
> > that is, programs with an interactive graphical user interface;

> Indeed not, although that doesn't mean it has now GUI potential.
> Turbo Vision (which is available in TP7) gives you textmode GUI tools
> with which you can make use of a GUI like environment (like the way
> you can use a mouse with the TP7 editor), but it's not Windows in any
> way.

but please note that, at the same time TP7 was out, there was also BP7. The
B stands for Borland, TP7 was made by Borland but was not BP7... a lot of
people have been confused by this. BP7 contained TP7 but was also capable of
compiling for protected mode and for Windows 3. It's not available for
download, but so many versions of Delphi have appeared in newsagents stuck
to the front of magazines (and there's FreePascal, and probably Kylix) that
no-one should want BP7 for that any more anyhow, unless they're writing
specifically for pre-Win95 Windows.
FP

Sat, 28 May 2005 18:55:36 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?

Quote:

>> with which you can make use of a GUI like environment (like the way
>> you can use a mouse with the TP7 editor), but it's not Windows in any
>> way.

> but please note that, at the same time TP7 was out, there was also BP7. The
> B stands for Borland, TP7 was made by Borland but was not BP7... a lot of
> people have been confused by this. BP7 contained TP7 but was also capable of
> compiling for protected mode and for Windows 3. It's not available for
> download, but so many versions of Delphi have appeared in newsagents stuck
> to the front of magazines (and there's FreePascal, and probably Kylix) that
> no-one should want BP7 for that any more anyhow, unless they're writing
> specifically for pre-Win95 Windows.

The most important thing is that BP has a commercial license probably (there
are academical BP sitelicenses too), while the magazine versions are severely
restricted.

But Free Pascal is of course a good alternative ;-)

Sun, 29 May 2005 22:52:16 GMT
 Why Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 ?
Thanks everyone for the clarification. Much appreciated.

David

Mon, 30 May 2005 18:42:22 GMT

1. Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 Tutorial

2. Questions: CRT of Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5

3. Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5

4. Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5

5. Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5

6. Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5

7. Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 - CRT unit

8. REQ: Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5 HELP!

9. Turbo Pascal Ver 1.5 for windows

10. TURBO PASCAL FOR WINDOWS 1.5

11. Printing the output in Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5

12. Turbo Pascal for Windows 1.5