Need Pascal to Delphi or C++ or Pascal 32-bit conversion advice
Author Message
 Need Pascal to Delphi or C++ or Pascal 32-bit conversion advice

Forgive me if I don't use the correct names and/or terms WRT
to some of this stuff.  I haven't touched Pascal or Borland
products in years.

The company I work for has a program written for Borland
Pascal 7.0 AND it uses their Object Windows class libraries
(and therein lies our problem).

Our problem in a nutshell is that we've run into a wall WRT
to memory in a 16-bit world.  We need to get this stuff into
a 32-bit world as quickly and painlessly as possible to allow
us to continue to maintain it while we rewrite the C++ version.
Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

I wouldn't imagine that finding a 32-bit compiler for Pascal
wouldn't be terribly difficult, but the fact that they used
Object Windows complicates matters.  I also have to figure
that we're not the first company to run into this so I thought
that this would be a good place to ask.  What have other
companies done short of an all out rewrite (which will
eventually happen, just not immediately)?

BTW, we investigated using Delphi, but I was told that delphi
(their 32-bit Pascal compiler?) doesn't support Object Windows?!
Is this true?  And if so what sort of migration path did
Borland provide for its customers who use BP to get to Delphi?
Or am I confused in assuming that Delphi is the 32-bit
Pascal compiler from Borland?  This is only sort of related
and is mostly for my curiousity but either way it baffles me.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide!

--

j()e
                                                             __o

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need Pascal to Delphi or C++ or Pascal 32-bit conversion advice

Quote:
> Our problem in a nutshell is that we've run into a wall WRT
> to memory in a 16-bit world.  We need to get this stuff into
> a 32-bit world as quickly and painlessly as possible to allow
> us to continue to maintain it while we rewrite the C++ version.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

        If your OWL version was properly designed, separating
        the business logic from the interface, it should be quite
        easy to build a new set of interface objects using D2 or
        D3. If your business logic is composed of event triggered
        calls to procedures its an easy matter to link these calls
        to the new Delphi interface. Also if the business logic is
        standard Pascal Delphi should compile it.

        If you're using tObjects in your business logic these should
        be converted to Delphi Classes. This might be as simple         as
        changing the declaration and constructors. If your using
        New(SomeObject,init) initializations you can change these
        to:
                SomeObject:=tSomeObjectClass.create;
                {or your subclassed constructor}

        If your making a lot of API calls you should encapsulate them
        in Delphi objects and methods where possible. For example
        drawing a graphic on a window via a hDC is more simply
        handled using the Canvas object which encapsulates pens,
        brushes, fonts etc.

Quote:
> BTW, we investigated using Delphi, but I was told that Delphi
> (their 32-bit Pascal compiler?) doesn't support Object Windows?!
> Is this true?

        Yes. It was supported in Delphi 1.0.

Quote:
>And if so what sort of migration path did  Borland provide for its
customers
>who use BP to get to Delphi?

        For going to 32 bit?...none. Delphi 1.0 does include the RTL70 unit
        that lets you compile OWL programs under Delphi.
Quote:
> Or am I confused in assuming that Delphi is the 32-bit
> Pascal compiler from Borland?

        No Delphi does include a 32 bit compiler for ObjectPascal.
        Delphi's object implementation is different and  better
        than OWL's.

        Borland does have its own set of public News Groups supported by
        official Borland personnel. Check out www.borland.com/

        If you want to E-mail me remove the no_spam anti spam measure from
        my e-mail address.

        Good luck
--
Hilton Evans
The two most important things in life are personal

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. CAN 32-BIT C++ PROGRAMS CALL DELPHI?

2. How compile 32 bit pascal programs under Delphi

3. Dumping Pascal for C++, need advice.

4. Conversion of 32 source code to 16 bit.

5. _.^._ !! Need 32-bit ODBC Driver for Delphi Developer !! _.-^-._

8. Need 32 bit OBDC wrapper for Delphi.

9. Delphi 32 - How much 32 bit?

10. Delphi/BDE 16 bit VS 32 bit

11. 32 bit Pascal with Novell