Searching by Certain Field
Author Message
 Searching by Certain Field

I have a record of 5 fields, and need to search one of them.  They are
all string type variables.  The one I need to search for is FName.
Can anyone help me?  I need it to do a case-INsensitive search, and
then write the match to the screen.  Thanks.

Frank

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Searching by Certain Field

Quote:

>I have a record of 5 fields, and need to search one of them.  They are
>all string type variables.  The one I need to search for is FName.
>Can anyone help me?  I need it to do a case-INsensitive search, and
>then write the match to the screen.  Thanks.

Hello?  This should be simple.  Try putting both your search data, and
your search word, into either one case or another -- easy, write  a
function, and then set up a sequential search.  Well...I should ask
you...how big is your record file?

Sequential search is easy...

while still data to look at
        begin
                is data item = item in record.
                        end data.
                next item.
        end.

Glenn Grotzinger

MOD and S3M user extraordinaire.
Writer of TP tutorial.  All released parts findable at:
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbopas/tptutr11.zip

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Searching by Certain Field

Quote:

>Yes, that might work, but I want to search for parts of a field, and
>not the whole one.  Like is Fname = Frank, then all of thses would
>word:
>F, fr, Fr, FR, fR, rank, fran, nk, frank...etc....

So, write your search check to do this...and there's no might to
it...what I told you will definitely work as a search..you're
confusing requirements of setting up the search with writing the code
to recognize you have a found search.string...which is not a search,
but text processing in this case....you're going to have to grind this
one out using the Pos() function included in the system unit to write
a function to perform the comparison -- maybe write your function to
return a boolean true if found, and false otherwise?

Glenn Grotzinger

MOD and S3M user extraordinaire.
Writer of TP tutorial.  All released parts findable at:
ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/turbopas/tptutr11.zip

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Searching by Certain

2. Quick Report Question : Group by a certain field?

3. moving the cursor in a dbgrid to a certain field

4. Posting certain fields in many records ?

5. Viewing fields off a certain date.

6. SQL search on Calculated field with read only database

7. Wildcard search on a Table field

8. Searching date and time fields in paradox

9. Searching a Paradox 7 memo field

10. Searching data in MEMO fields.

11. help on Search in DBMEMO BLob field

12. Searching Fields