Borland Pascal 7.01 - What needs fixing?
Author Message
 Borland Pascal 7.01 - What needs fixing?

I know that sounds kind of dumb but what I'm wondering is what patches
or updates need to be done to make sure programs compiled with it work
right.  I'm setting it up for my kids to start learning with and so
far all I've done to it is replaced the standard Crt with Pedt
Scragg's RTE200 fixed version.  Is that enough or should I update the
other libraries with something like Norbert Juffa's versions.

Thanks in advance for any advice - PM.

Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:13:25 GMT
 Borland Pascal 7.01 - What needs fixing?

Quote:

> I know that sounds kind of dumb but what I'm wondering is what patches
> or updates need to be done to make sure programs compiled with it work
> right.  I'm setting it up for my kids to start learning with and so
> far all I've done to it is replaced the standard Crt with Pedt
> Scragg's RTE200 fixed version.  Is that enough or should I update the
> other libraries with something like Norbert Juffa's versions.

> Thanks in advance for any advice - PM.

This will be enough for a start. The other stuff you'll need only for
higher speed of some mathematical calculations or if you want silightly
smaller exe-files etc. but nothing fundamental. Your apps will run e
fine without that stuff.

Greetings

Markus

Wed, 18 Aug 2004 17:12:52 GMT
 Borland Pascal 7.01 - What needs fixing?

Quote:

>> I know that sounds kind of dumb but what I'm wondering is what
patches
>> or updates need to be done to make sure programs compiled with it
work
>> right.  I'm setting it up for my kids to start learning with and so
>> far all I've done to it is replaced the standard Crt with Pedt
>> Scragg's RTE200 fixed version.  Is that enough or should I update the
>> other libraries with something like Norbert Juffa's versions.

>> Thanks in advance for any advice - PM.

>This will be enough for a start. The other stuff you'll need only for
>higher speed of some mathematical calculations

Not just higher speed, but, as far as Borlands 6-byte reals are
concerned, much higher accuracy and compliance with the IEEE-754
standard (as far as possible in this non-IEEE standard format).

Also the higher speed is not limited to the mathematical functions,
most string functions are significantly faster, as are the functions
operating on sets, and most of the string functions (Pos/Insert/etc)

Also, but this is hidden stuff, the simple assignment operator (':=')
is up to twice as fast for larger variables as it uses MOVSW rather
than MOVSB.

Quote:
>or if you want slightly smaller exe-files etc.

In many cases the reduction in size will be quite significant, as
Norbert moved virtually every RTL routine into a separate .ASM/.OBJ
file, and those are the fundamental units considered by the linker.

Pedt has done the same for the Crt unit, and yours truly has done
so with the Overlay unit (OVER-110.ZIP on Garbo), and an as-yet
unreleased version of the Dos unit.

Quote:
>but nothing fundamental. Your apps will run fine without that stuff.

Yes, they will!

Regards,

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Thu, 19 Aug 2004 03:34:23 GMT

1. I need Borland Pascal 7.01

2. BORLAND PASCAL 7.01

3. borland pascal 7.01

4. Borland Pascal 7.01 update

5. Borland Pascal 7.01 CD wanted.

6. Using another DPMI-host than RTM.EXE from a Borland Pascal 7.01 program

7. How do I get Borland Pascal 7.01?

8. TCP/IP-Unit for Borland Turbo Pascal 7.01

9. Patch 7.01 for Borland Pascal

10. FS: Borland Pascal 7.01 + more

11. anyone know about Borland / Turbo Pascal 7.01

12. Borland Pascla 7.01 Maintainance Release