Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!
Author Message
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

I'm a very disgruntled /n Software customer.  I wanted a component
package for some Internet applications I'm writing, so I purchased
IP*Works from nSoftware because it seemed like a fantastic product.  I
have never even touched it (It did not even install correctly as I
have delphi 7 and the install does not deal with it yet).

I am posting this message not to start a discussion or a flame-fest,
but to make sure people looking at the newsgroup archives (like I was
before I purchased IP*Works) saw this message and are aware of what
they are getting into when they purchase IP*works.  Make a more
informed choice people!

IP*Works turns out to have two major disadvantages:

1) The licensing is _per_machine_, not developer. When you install the
product, it MUST PHONE HOME (ok, it connects via the Internet) to get
permission from n Software to unlock (otherwise it runs in demo mode).
 If you wipe out your machine and re-install your stuff (which
developer doesn't do this once in a while?) you probably will have to
CALL /N SOFTWARE BY VOICE and ask (beg?) for more installations (check
this out it's in their FAQ).  All of this in a product you pay for
fully (ain't life grand?).

This is extremely unprofessional and a product-killer for me, so I
decided to return it.  I'm certainly not a thief, and it really grinds
on me when a company tells me they'll treat me like a thief anyway.

2) You cannot return it.  For any reason.  Under any circumstances.
No matter how nicely you ask.  No matter how badly by mistake you
bought it.  Period.  Yes, we said Period.  Shut up already, they told
you: You can't return it.  That was their attitude towards me anyway.

I am posting this because I am extremely angry at this pretentious,
self-righteous attitude /n Software has towards customers who could
get competing products FOR FREE!  Yes, this is a company competing
against practially equally capable free libraries! (By the way I have
done my development with ICS, it works great!, try it)

Here are two free alternatives (with very reasonable item return terms
:-)!  Also, no big brother licensing!) to IP*Works:

1) ICS at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

2) Indy (Comes bundled with the late Delphi versions) at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Try these out when you are thinking about purchasing IPWorks.

I really wish I had not purchased IP Works.

In closing, here are snippets of my interaction with /n Software (I
purchased IP*Works through Programmer's Paradise):

This is from Programmer's Paradise:
--------
I have finally received word back from the manufacture regarding your
return request for IP*Works! Internet tool.  *N Software has denied
the return due to the product being un-returnable.  I checked into
this extensively and it is stated on our website, as well as theirs
that this product can not be returned.  I spoke to our representative
at *N Software and made sure that he was aware of the reason for
return.
--------

This is from /n Software:
--------
I'm genuinely sorry to tell you due to the nature
of our products, we are unable to give refunds
on purchased products.
The trial version is fully functional and you
had the opportunity to try it out for free within
30 days before purchasing.
If you encounter a technical issue with our controls that
cannot be resolved by our technical support then we can
issue you a refund.

You, as our customer, are our number one priority
and we want to provide you with excellent quality
service at all times.

I'm really sorry you feel that way about our licensing policy.
But, you agreed with that when you ordered the product.
The way the product is licensed, it's explicitly defined on
the Licensing Agreement (to which you had access to look
at before purchasing the product AND when you installed
the registered version).
--------

Buyer beware!

Thanks y'all.

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 06:59:55 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!
Ooo-o-o-oh, how much money that one, _honest_ posting is likely to cost that
software company...  when it is seen by literally millions of people around
the world for months and years to come.  I hope they survive this.

Quote:

http://overbyte.delphicenter.com/frame_index.html?redirTo=/products/i...

> 2) Indy (Comes bundled with the late Delphi versions) at
> http://www.nevrona.com/indy/

> Try these out when you are thinking about purchasing IPWorks.

> I really wish I had not purchased IP Works.

> In closing, here are snippets of my interaction with /n Software (I
> purchased IP*Works through Programmer's Paradise):

> This is from Programmer's Paradise:
> --------
> I have finally received word back from the manufacture regarding your
> return request for IP*Works! Internet tool.  *N Software has denied
> the return due to the product being un-returnable.  I checked into
> this extensively and it is stated on our website, as well as theirs
> that this product can not be returned.  I spoke to our representative
> at *N Software and made sure that he was aware of the reason for
> return.
> --------

> This is from /n Software:
> --------
> I'm genuinely sorry to tell you due to the nature
> of our products, we are unable to give refunds
> on purchased products.
> The trial version is fully functional and you
> had the opportunity to try it out for free within
> 30 days before purchasing.
> If you encounter a technical issue with our controls that
> cannot be resolved by our technical support then we can
> issue you a refund.

> You, as our customer, are our number one priority
> and we want to provide you with excellent quality
> service at all times.

> I'm really sorry you feel that way about our licensing policy.
> But, you agreed with that when you ordered the product.
> The way the product is licensed, it's explicitly defined on
> the Licensing Agreement (to which you had access to look
> at before purchasing the product AND when you installed
> the registered version).
> -------

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 07:49:16 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!
On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:49:16 -0700, Sundial Services

Quote:

>Ooo-o-o-oh, how much money that one, _honest_ posting is likely to cost that
>software company...  when it is seen by literally millions of people around
>the world for months and years to come.  I hope they survive this.

Sounds as if they deserve it too

Sadly such postings do not seem to have as much effect as they should.

I have ranted about how Norton Utilities literally trashed a machine
of mine - and I've seen similar postings from other people.

Yet Symantec are still in business

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 09:18:43 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:
> 1) The licensing is _per_machine_, not developer.

Well, you should have known that before you bought it.

Quote:
> When you install the
> product, it MUST PHONE HOME (ok, it connects via the Internet) to get
> permission from n Software to unlock (otherwise it runs in demo mode).

And why is this a problem? Who cares? Windows XP, and office XP do the exact
same thing. It's just to help slow the amount of their software that gets
stolen, sounds fair enough to me.

Quote:
>  If you wipe out your machine and re-install your stuff (which
> developer doesn't do this once in a while?) you probably will have to
> CALL /N SOFTWARE BY VOICE and ask (beg?) for more installations (check
> this out it's in their FAQ).  All of this in a product you pay for
> fully (ain't life grand?).

I'd think that your "Registration ID" would be calculated from your hardware
configuration (Taking a leaf from Windoze XP's book). A quick phone call
would be all that you need.

Quote:

> 2) You cannot return it.  For any reason.  Under any circumstances.
> No matter how nicely you ask.  No matter how badly by mistake you
> bought it.  Period.  Yes, we said Period.  Shut up already, they told
> you: You can't return it.  That was their attitude towards me anyway.

I'm certain that this information was available before purchase!

Nicholas Sherlock

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:03:45 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

>> 1) The licensing is _per_machine_, not developer.

> Well, you should have known that before you bought it.

"Caveat emptor" just doesn't go very far, I think.

Quote:
>> When you install the
>> product, it MUST PHONE HOME (ok, it connects via the Internet) to get
>> permission from n Software to unlock (otherwise it runs in demo mode).

> And why is this a problem? Who cares? Windows XP, and office XP do the
> exact same thing. It's just to help slow the amount of their software that
> gets stolen, sounds fair enough to me.

Speaking as a developer and /not/ as a vendor, I think it's terrible and I
don't accept it either.  Many computers do not have a permanent internet
connection.  Some do not have modems.  Firewalls can also interfere with
many registration-schemes.  The notion that "you should have known that
before you bought it [and now you're s*rewed...]" falls absolutely flat.

Quote:
>>  If you wipe out your machine and re-install your stuff (which
>> developer doesn't do this once in a while?) you probably will have to
>> CALL /N SOFTWARE BY VOICE and ask (beg?) for more installations (check
>> this out it's in their FAQ).  All of this in a product you pay for
>> fully (ain't life grand?).

> I'd think that your "Registration ID" would be calculated from your
> hardware configuration (Taking a leaf from Windoze XP's book). A quick
> phone call would be all that you need.

... and in my experience, the slightest miniscule change to the computer can
trigger a change in the hardware-ID.  It's an enormous pain.

When you are a software vendor .. and in fact, we /are/ .. then it is
extremely easy to become _paranoid_ about "software protection."  To view
everybody out there as a gang of thieves just waiting to steal your stuff.
But I remember my friend who kept a multi-thousand dollar guitar in a
cardboard case with a flimsy lock, "to keep the 'honest people' out."  You
_do_ need some kind of license mechanism, if only to give the customer
"something to buy," but you also need to be sure that the mechanism does
not get in the way of the legitimate customer, and for that, less is more.

Quote:
>> 2) You cannot return it.  For any reason.  Under any circumstances.
>> No matter how nicely you ask.  No matter how badly by mistake you
>> bought it.  Period.  Yes, we said Period.  Shut up already, they told
>> you: You can't return it.  That was their attitude towards me anyway.

> I'm certain that this information was available before purchase!

The terms and conditions of sale should always be spelled-out in the
purchase form, /but/ a truly disgruntled customer also has to be dealt
with, on a case-by-case basis.

----------------------------------
Fast automatic Paradox table repair at a click of a mouse!
http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:24:33 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

> Speaking as a developer and /not/ as a vendor, I think it's terrible and I
> don't accept it either.  Many computers do not have a permanent internet
> connection.  Some do not have modems.  Firewalls can also interfere with
> many registration-schemes.  The notion that "you should have known that
> before you bought it [and now you're s*rewed...]" falls absolutely flat.

Do what I did, and write your own module(s).  Amazingly, a relational
database was substantially cheaper than it was to purchase licenses from
a 3rd party.  The 3rd party was known to charge $1000.00 per licence,
which for me, meant no less than $9000.00.  I opted for the second
approach, which was to spend a few weeks and write my own, including
compatibility with the defuncto standard database instead of their
proprietary flavor.

Quote:
> ... and in my experience, the slightest miniscule change to the computer can
> trigger a change in the hardware-ID.  It's an enormous pain.

My customers know _up front_ that it's one licence per site, and on
request I issue additional security keys for the product for that site,
but since I access their machines from the internet, it's quite easy to
ensure that they are indeed located correctly.  For my own business, it
is actually advantageous for me to give them additional licenced
computers because my business model is royalty based.

Quote:
> When you are a software vendor .. and in fact, we /are/ .. then it is
> extremely easy to become _paranoid_ about "software protection."  To view
> everybody out there as a gang of thieves just waiting to steal your stuff.
> But I remember my friend who kept a multi-thousand dollar guitar in a
> cardboard case with a flimsy lock, "to keep the 'honest people' out."  You
> _do_ need some kind of license mechanism, if only to give the customer
> "something to buy," but you also need to be sure that the mechanism does
> not get in the way of the legitimate customer, and for that, less is more.

That particular issue is why my customers can resolve their problems
with a simple keystroke.  If something does go wrong, 99% of the time
it's for reasons they know (Overdue royalties), or due to illogical
circumstances that my key server knows how to fix.  I rarely become
directly involved in the licencing issues of my product.

Quote:
> >> 2) You cannot return it.  For any reason.  Under any circumstances.
> >> No matter how nicely you ask.  No matter how badly by mistake you
> >> bought it.  Period.  Yes, we said Period.  Shut up already, they told
> >> you: You can't return it.  That was their attitude towards me anyway.

> > I'm certain that this information was available before purchase!

In some cases, it may be possible to get a small claims ruling, or if
the Uniform Commercial Code allows for it, to demand a refund based on
one of the rules of the state the product was purchased. (See also:
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uniform/ucc.html )  In other cases, it's more
cost effective to simply bin it and perhaps, reference on a web page
that you no longer use the product, and why.  For example, I opted to
learn from the mistakes of my former employer and not use Knowledgeman's
Krun modules (www.mdbs.com) due to expense per "license".  Rather, I
elected to create my own modules that perform similar tasks for
proprietary use.  If I held licenses of theirs, I would probably
acknowledge their worth to me (nil), drop it into a capital gains loss
sheet and move on.  From a tax perspective, losses like that are
basically money not earned, which has its advantages when you break
certain income boundaries.

Quote:
> The terms and conditions of sale should always be spelled-out in the
> purchase form, /but/ a truly disgruntled customer also has to be dealt
> with, on a case-by-case basis.

From a discretionary perspective it's often better for the vendor to
accept the goods and offer a refund.  Often factual information cannot
be considered libelous, and averting a bad reputation is generally a
good idea.

Which reminds me...

I have 2 coffee coasters that say Windows XP on it and never removed
from their original envelopes.  I wonder if Toshiba or Micro$haft will
offer a refund?

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:52:07 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

> > 1) The licensing is _per_machine_, not developer.

> Well, you should have known that before you bought it.

It could only be know if the vendor has published a copy of the license
agreement. In my experience few vendors do post their license agreement on
their web site.

Quote:
> > When you install the
> > product, it MUST PHONE HOME (ok, it connects via the Internet) to get
> > permission from n Software to unlock (otherwise it runs in demo mode).

> And why is this a problem? Who cares? Windows XP, and office XP do the
exact
> same thing. It's just to help slow the amount of their software that gets
> stolen, sounds fair enough to me.

AFAIK no MS product requires a remote connection to install correctly. They
do use a connection to register themselves, but I believe that this is
always an optional step.

Quote:
> >  If you wipe out your machine and re-install your stuff (which
> > developer doesn't do this once in a while?) you probably will have to
> > CALL /N SOFTWARE BY VOICE and ask (beg?) for more installations (check
> > this out it's in their FAQ).  All of this in a product you pay for
> > fully (ain't life grand?).

> I'd think that your "Registration ID" would be calculated from your
hardware
> configuration (Taking a leaf from Windoze XP's book). A quick phone call
> would be all that you need.

I get the impression that you have never had to deal with software that
locks itself to a particular machine configuration. Personally I won't buy
the stuff. All it takes in many situations is a disk re-format to cause lots
of frustrating down-time trying to get a new unlocking code. There are lots
of ways in which software authors can protect themselves without causing
their honest users grief. And, lets face it, regardless of the protection
scheme employeed a dedicated hacker is going to be able to circumvent it
fairly easily.

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:50:28 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

>> I'm a very disgruntled /n Software customer.  I wanted a component
>> package for some Internet applications I'm writing, so I purchased
>> IP*Works from nSoftware because it seemed like a fantastic product.  I
>> have never even touched it (It did not even install correctly as I
>> have Delphi 7 and the install does not deal with it yet).

Did you use a credit card to buy it? If you did then {*filter*} at your CC
company. I've done that a couple of times in these sorts of situations
and I got my money back.

HTH

Ian Jennings
Microware Data Services Limited
This post is made entirely from recycled ones and noughts

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:19:21 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

> IP*Works turns out to have two major disadvantages:
> 1) The licensing is _per_machine_, not developer. When you install the
> product, it MUST PHONE HOME (ok, it connects via the Internet) to get
> permission from n Software to unlock (otherwise it runs in demo mode).

I find this unreal - normally the only things that are done on a by
machine basis are db servers (and even then it's possible to get
royalty free ones like, say, DBISAM).

Was this not clear at the beginning? What's their web site?

Quote:
>  If you wipe out your machine and re-install your stuff

This may be understandable in the light of per machine licencsing -
but it's still incredible for internet components.

Quote:
> 2) You cannot return it.

This is not so unusual - I mean, you *_do_* have a chance with a
trial. The only company that I know of which does this is Devexpress,
but since they don't provide a trial, they have no excuse not to
provide refunds.

Quote:
> I am posting this because I am extremely angry at this pretentious,
> self-righteous attitude /n Software has towards customers who could
> get competing products FOR FREE!

IMHO, you'd want to be mad in the head to purchase  internet
components, unless you have some bizarre need that's not catered for
by ICS or Indy.

Quote:
> I really wish I had not purchased IP Works.

If you feel strongly, please post this same post to the Borland Delphi
group (non-tech would probably be the best) where it will get an
audience of Delphi "players".

BTW, don't crosspost there - the moderators don't like it!

Quote:
> Buyer beware!

Caveat emptor - indeed.

Paul...

--

plinehan__AT__yahoo__DOT__com

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 19:35:29 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

>> IP*Works turns out to have two major disadvantages:

My previous follow-up seems to have been diverted to the bit-bucket so
I'll have another go.

Did you pay for it using a credit card? I've had good results {*filter*}ing
to my CC company and they've refunded every time I've complained so
far.

HTH
Ian Jennings
Microware Data Services Limited
This post is made entirely from recycled ones and noughts

Sun, 24 Apr 2005 21:04:54 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

> I get the impression that you have never had to deal with software that
> locks itself to a particular machine configuration. Personally I won't buy
> the stuff. All it takes in many situations is a disk re-format to cause
> lots of frustrating down-time trying to get a new unlocking code. There
> are lots of ways in which software authors can protect themselves without
> causing their honest users grief. And, lets face it, regardless of the
> protection scheme employeed a dedicated hacker is going to be able to
> circumvent it fairly easily.

I tried to use a system that was based on "machine IDs" and found that, even
on my own systems, the ID changed fairly constantly under conditions of
normal use.

I haven't even bothered to try one of the many "phone home" systems.

The protection system used by ChimneySweep(R) is actually very simple with
only a "healthy double-handful" of tricks for lurking hackers.  If your
software isn't selling as well as you thought it should..

        - Maybe you need to revise your expectations, downward!

        - Maybe you're not advertising well enough or effectively enough.

        - Maybe your web-site only talks to you; no one else understands a word.

        - It's probably /not/ because of piracy.

JM2CW.  FWIW.

----------------------------------
Fast automatic Paradox table repair at a click of a mouse!
http://www.sundialservices.com/products/chimneysweep

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 00:14:40 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!
I've been reading this thread with interest, since I am a software developer
myself. All our products are hardware tied, so its not really an issue for us,
if you didn't buy the hardware, there is nothing to do with the software
anyways.

However, I have had thoughts about also releasing general purpose software,
and would be interested in what you all thought was "acceptable" key based
licensing.

From the developers side point of view, internet key server license is simply
an extention of key servers on networks such as Sun, where Sun computers have
fairly good ways to validate what machine they are running on. The problem
with schemes that wait a certain amount of time before contacting the
license server is that the software could potentially be copyed back from
an archive over and over again so that the "time lapse" never happens.

Quote:

> >> IP*Works turns out to have two major disadvantages:

> My previous follow-up seems to have been diverted to the bit-bucket so
> I'll have another go.

> Did you pay for it using a credit card? I've had good results {*filter*}ing
> to my CC company and they've refunded every time I've complained so
> far.

> HTH
> Ian Jennings
> Microware Data Services Limited
> This post is made entirely from recycled ones and noughts

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 12:31:23 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

> only a "healthy double-handful" of tricks for lurking hackers.  If your
> software isn't selling as well as you thought it should..
>         - It's probably /not/ because of piracy.

It most definitely isn't. I would even argue that there is actually a
benefit to software piracy - not that I would ever encourage or condone it.
If one takes a look at the big sellers over the last ten or so years I think
one will find that the best sellers today are also the ones that in their
early years were the easiest to pirate. Similar programs that had heavy copy
protection no longer exist or have small market shares. I suspect that to
some extent piracy acts as advertising. Fortunately there are enough people
who see the benefit of buying product to keep us in business.

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:32:09 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!

Quote:

> However, I have had thoughts about also releasing general purpose
software,
> and would be interested in what you all thought was "acceptable" key based
> licensing.

IMO one has to tailor the protection scheme to the product and its market.
When selling low cost software simple password/key protection on the
installer was my choice. For a more expensive product, sold to business, we
elected to have the app display the licensee's name at all times and print
it on all reports. The licensee's name is stored in a data file (i.e. its
not embedded in the executable) and protected by several keys also stored in
the file. Neither scheme is terribly difficult to crack, but doing so
requires criminal intent. Personally I believe that there are far fewer
criminals than honest people. And, bottom line, if someone wants support and
upgrades they are likely to purchase a license.

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 13:39:55 GMT
 Beware of /n Software's IP*Works and its demonic license agreement!
Dear Mr. MagaXa-Gonzalez,

Just to clarify a few things about our activation process:

- The activation is based *ONLY* on the computer name and nothing
else.  If you don't change the machine name, you never need to go
to our website to reactivate (just save the .reg file you get during
activation).

- The activation is only done once during the first installation
of the product.  Our products *NEVER* "call home" without asking
permission from the developer first.

- Our system allows multiple activations.  We only block licenses
when we see obvious signs of abuse (e.g. 10 activations from 3
different parts of the globe).

- If you are transferring an installation from a machine to another
more frequently than normal, all you need to do is notify us of the
transfer (usually done by faxing us a License Transfer Form), and we
will make sure your license does not get blocked.

To summarize: our activation process is not intended to get in the
way of legitimate use of the software, and we have thousands of
good customers who have no problems with it, and are supportive of
our efforts to keep prices low by curbing piracy.

Regards,

Eric Madariaga.
/n software

P.S.> Regarding the return issue: we have trial versions that are
fully functional and do not expire, and that's why we do not accept
returns unless you find a defect we cannot fix.

P.P.S.> The licensing agreements for each product are clearly posted
on the product page for every single one of our products.  Moreover,
the trial versions and full versions have the exact same licensing
agreement, which you must click "I Agree" on before installation.

P.P.P.S.> I checked the correspondence you had with our support: you
were asking for "Honor System" licensing so that you could use the
product on multiple machines.  I am not sure I understand: were you
asking for an "honorable way" to break the license?  I am afraid
there is not such a thing...

Quote:
> [...]

> I'm genuinely sorry to tell you due to the nature
> of our products, we are unable to give refunds
> on purchased products.
> The trial version is fully functional and you
> had the opportunity to try it out for free within
> 30 days before purchasing.
> If you encounter a technical issue with our controls that
> cannot be resolved by our technical support then we can
> issue you a refund.

> You, as our customer, are our number one priority
> and we want to provide you with excellent quality
> service at all times.

> I'm really sorry you feel that way about our licensing policy.
> But, you agreed with that when you ordered the product.
> The way the product is licensed, it's explicitly defined on
> the Licensing Agreement (to which you had access to look
> at before purchasing the product AND when you installed

Tue, 26 Apr 2005 00:13:39 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Borland Licensing Agreement

2. How do Interbase licenses work?

3. Johansen Software's TP Programmer's Page

4. Johansen Software's TP Programmer's Page

5. MIT software guru, database expert, seeks offsite work

6. 'Cancel' does not work

7. Program's don't work on new PC

8. Some Apollo 'work-arounds'

9. Confirmed D2 bug: cached updates don't work for master/detail - here's why

10. Error message - 'Tables are working!'

11. TQuery's locate method doesn't work properly

12. TCP/IP PING using Novell TCP/IP stack