Ten of Pentacles
Author Message
 Ten of Pentacles

OK Gentlemen, I am looking for exactly nine computer programmers, to
help me with the creation of some wonderful, revolutionary software.
Together, we shall form a company called The Ten of Pentacles.  It shall
be a round table company, where no one man is above the others.  There
are only two simple requirements for applicants.

1.  You must be more intelligent than I.  My IQ is 165, and while most
people are impressed with numbers, I am not.  I am impressed with a good
chess game though, so people wishing to join must be able to beat me in
two out of three games of chess.  Good luck.

2.  Applicants must be free from greed.  All of the software that we
design will be freeware.  You, nor I, will receive any concrete income
from our efforts.  We shall create for need, not for greed.

If you are an ungreedy chess playing computer programmer then drop me a

as again, I beleive I am slightly off topic.

Also, I doubt that I will find nine programmers here to beat me in
chess, so if anyone knows any other hangouts, let me know.  Now I'm
gonna go and be helpful, as penance for my straying off topic.

Bye :)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ten of Pentacles

Egocentric programmers are no good - you're fired from the group.

On Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:17:01 -0800,

Quote:
>OK Gentlemen, I am looking for exactly nine computer programmers, to
>help me with the creation of some wonderful, revolutionary software.
>Together, we shall form a company called The Ten of Pentacles.  It shall
>be a round table company, where no one man is above the others.  There
>are only two simple requirements for applicants.

>1.  You must be more intelligent than I.  My IQ is 165, and while most
>people are impressed with numbers, I am not.  I am impressed with a good
>chess game though, so people wishing to join must be able to beat me in
>two out of three games of chess.  Good luck.

>2.  Applicants must be free from greed.  All of the software that we
>design will be freeware.  You, nor I, will receive any concrete income
>from our efforts.  We shall create for need, not for greed.

>If you are an ungreedy chess playing computer programmer then drop me a

>as again, I beleive I am slightly off topic.

>Also, I doubt that I will find nine programmers here to beat me in
>chess, so if anyone knows any other hangouts, let me know.  Now I'm
>gonna go and be helpful, as penance for my straying off topic.

>Bye :)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Pierre van Rooyen

ARC Agrimetrics Institute,
Private Bag x1251,
2520 Potchefstroom,
South Africa.

Tel +27-18-299-6206
Fax +27-18-294-7146
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ten of Pentacles
Thanks, Pierre.
This is the one and only comment.

JOE :-))

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ten of Pentacles

Quote:

>Egocentric programmers are no good - you're fired from the group.

Neither are rash-acting non-team-players.

After a discussion and vote the committee has fired you too!

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ten of Pentacles

Quote:

>OK Gentlemen, I am looking for exactly nine computer programmers, to
>help me with the creation of some wonderful, revolutionary software.
>Together, we shall form a company called The Ten of Pentacles.  It shall
>be a round table company, where no one man is above the others.  There
>are only two simple requirements for applicants.

>1.  You must be more intelligent than I.  My IQ is 165, and while most
>people are impressed with numbers, I am not.  I am impressed with a good
>chess game though, so people wishing to join must be able to beat me in
>two out of three games of chess.  Good luck.

>2.  Applicants must be free from greed.  All of the software that we
>design will be freeware.  You, nor I, will receive any concrete income
>from our efforts.  We shall create for need, not for greed.

>If you are an ungreedy chess playing computer programmer then drop me a

>as again, I beleive I am slightly off topic.

>Also, I doubt that I will find nine programmers here to beat me in
>chess, so if anyone knows any other hangouts, let me know.  Now I'm
>gonna go and be helpful, as penance for my straying off topic.

>Bye :)

and what is i can write a program that will beat you in chess?
am I in?

chess games are hardly a factor to measure intelligance however
IQ number is

in addition I dont think that you will find in the whole world 9 more
programers that will create wonderful, revolutionary software for
absolutly nothing... they will go work for microsoft and do nothing
for wonderful salaries.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Ten of Pentacles

Quote:
>Subject: Ten of Pentacles

You are a duck. Ducks float, so must be made of wood. Therefore you must be
burned. Nine out of ten pentacles think they have too many sides.

Quote:
>OK Gentlemen,

There are ladies here too.

Quote:
>1.  You must be more intelligent than I.

If I'm more intelligent than you, why would I want to work for/with someone
DUMBER than me? =)

Quote:
>My IQ is 165, and while most people are impressed with numbers, I am not.

Me either. Numbers are STUPID. I HATE THEM!! They think they're so clever,
but they're really just all quantity and no quality.

("IQ" is a one-dimensional measurement of a multi-dimensional entity, and
despite your claim of being unimpressed with that number, you still feel
the need to trot it out, don't you. Duh. I'm just a 145 and even I can see
these subtle inconsistencies gnawing away at your soul. <g>)

Quote:
>I am impressed with a good chess game though, so people wishing to join
>must be able to beat me in two out of three games of chess.  Good luck.

One can be extremely intelligent and never have played chess, regarding it
as a crass demonstrative war{*filter*} chest-puffing and ultimately empty
exercise intending to show intellectual superiority. Not me though. I play
an excellent game of chess and am very stupid. I'm sort of a chess-savant.
It's the only thing I can do well, aside from writing smart-ass off-topic
newsgroup articles. I'm also a damned liar. I couldn't play chess to save
my life. I never contradict or degrade myself, except that that last
statement is wrong and I'm a bad person for having said it.

Quote:
>2.  Applicants must be free from greed.

I desparately long to be free from desire, and I crave absolute freedom
from greed. I want to be more free of greed than you are. Altruism is just
a little something I do for myself.

Quote:
>Also, I doubt that I will find nine programmers here to beat me in
>chess, so if anyone knows any other hangouts, let me know.

Try comp.lang.c, and rec.games.chess.* at the very least. As a matter of
fact, cross-post to them. Then you really will be burned, you insidious
corrupter of humanity. =)

token Pascal content:

 const ssAlt=8; var Shift:byte absolute $0040:$0017; i:word; begin while
 ((Shift and ssAlt)=0) do memw[SegB800:random(4000)*2]:=(random(128) shl
 8)+(random(3)+176); i:=0; while i<8000 do begin memw[SegB800:i]:=$0720;
 inc(i,2); end; end.

Cheers, and best of luck in your quest (really)! Todd

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Browsing Records by Ten