Finding RTL routines in EXE
Author Message
 Finding RTL routines in EXE

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a quick and easy method of finding which RTL
routines end up in the final executable. I've got the RTL sources and
have considered adding some eye-catchers to the RTL routines followed
by a recompile creating in effect a "debugging" RTL, but a
straightforward method of finding them would be more useful.

Any hints or suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Finding RTL routines in EXE
Robert:

Quote:
> Any hints or suggestions?

Doesn't the MAP file produced by the linker fit ?
Otherwise a database-based disassembler like IDA could help.

Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Finding RTL routines in EXE

Quote:
> Robert:

> > Any hints or suggestions?

> Doesn't the MAP file produced by the linker fit ?

Not for SYSTEM.

Quote:
> Otherwise a database-based disassembler like IDA could help.

If you're using the Borland supplied RTL the answer is probably yes.
However, using IDA for this seems to be somewhat of an overkill, and I
also (not checked) think that IDA's .IDS files for TP/BP won't be of
much help, since I'm using a patched version of Norbert Juffa's
replacement RTL.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Finding RTL routines in EXE

Quote:
>Hi all,

>Does anyone know of a quick and easy method of finding which RTL
>routines end up in the final executable. I've got the RTL sources and
>have considered adding some eye-catchers to the RTL routines followed
>by a recompile creating in effect a "debugging" RTL, but a
>straightforward method of finding them would be more useful.

>Any hints or suggestions?

I assume it is a DOS-program you talk about. Use TurboPower's excellent
commercial tool: "Turbo Analyst" which includes PSA(=Program Structure
Analyzer), www.turbopower.com . This program tells you which procedures and
functions are included in the final EXE-version inclusive from System unit.
It will tell you which variables are unused, produce tables showing which
units to overlay and much, much more. Go for it!!.

Svend Broholm

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Finding RTL routines in EXE

Quote:

> > Robert:

> > > Any hints or suggestions?

> > Doesn't the MAP file produced by the linker fit ?

> Not for SYSTEM.

Quote:
> It's even nicer than you can imagine, as I have got access to a non-
> Borland RTL source and a partial 32-bit binary. (And a registered
> version of IDA...)

When you compile this RTL source with local debug symbols ($L+) and then
generate a detailed map file, do you not get the info?

I compiled TURBO.TPL from the (Borland) RTL source that came with BP7,
defining DEBUG and therefore using the

TASM = tasm -t -w- -z -zd
BPC  = bpc -$d+,l+

lines in the makefile, then compiled a 3-line Hello World program with -GD
for a detailed mapfile. The mapfile was about 15K, containing stuff like

Line numbers for System(SYS\MAIN.ASM) segment System

    50 0004:0000    51 0004:0003    52 0004:0005    72 0004:0009
    73 0004:000B    74 0004:000E    75 0004:0011    76 0004:0013

Is that the sort of thing you were after?

FP

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Calling RTL routines in asm...end statements

2. When find upgrade for Borland Pascal 7.0 RTL

3. Bug in TPL60N19 (Norbert Juffa's RTL replacent for TP6 RTL)

4. Help Me Find Good Modem Routines.

5. IS Express can't find BDE's DATAPUMP.EXE

6. When creating disks with installshield i get: DATAPUMP.EXE file not found

7. Where can i find BPC.EXE (Borland Pascal 7.0)

8. Help needed to find latest RTM.EXE + DPMI16BI.OVL

9. Finding EXE Name?

10. TPX.EXE AND TURBO.EXE {difference between}

11. TPX.EXE and TURBO.EXE

12. Windows EXE and DOS EXE