EGA/VGA memory adress
Author Message
 EGA/VGA memory adress

I wonder if anyone knows what the memory-adress for EGA/VGA is in
graphic-mode. In textmode I can copy the whole screen into an arrayed buffer
very easily. I wonder if you can do the same thing in gfx-mode (using
mem-adress $B800:0000)???

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 EGA/VGA memory adress

> I wonder if anyone knows what the memory-adress for EGA/VGA is in
> graphic-mode. In textmode I can copy the whole screen into an arrayed buffer
> very easily. I wonder if you can do the same thing in gfx-mode (using
> mem-adress $B800:0000)???

In general, that is dependant on the hardware - so is the amount of
memory that you need to access, and whether you can access all video
memory without switching banks or not. Naturally, higher resolutions
require more memory.

An example is the so-called mode 13h, named after its (now VESA) mode
number. The screen is switched to 320x200 pixels, and every pixel can
assume 256 colors. You can access it through the 64000 bytes from
$A000:0 onward.

You will probably find many examples of mode 13h programming in the
SWAG archives <http://www.gdsoft.com/swag>.

 - Sebastian

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Problem with GotoXY in EGA/VGA text mode (43/50 line mode)

2. Trouble with Ega/Vga mode (640x480x16) with an Tseng ET6000 Screencard

3. Trouble with Ega/Vga mode (640x480x16) with an Tseng ET6000 Screencard

4. Trouble with Ega/Vga mode (640x480x16) with an ET6000 Screencard

5. Trouble with Ega/Vga mode (640x480x16) with an ET6000 Screencard

6. Ayuda EGA/VGA...

7. Modifying all 16 colours on a ega/vga screen

8. What is the memory adress for SVGA256?

9. memory adresses

10. Resizing the VGA memory

11. VGA Memory Addressing

12. Moving data from vga to memory.