Disk Image Routine for TP
Author Message
 Disk Image Routine for TP

Hello all, I am new to this group so forgive me if this has been explored
previously. I would like to code a DOS program to generate an image file of
a hard drive - something similar to Symantec's ghost. Any help with the
logic of how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I need to work
on FAT(32) and NTFS volumes and since standard disks are now in the 30GB
range some sort of compression seems mandatory.

Thanks,

Randolph

http://www.*-*-*.com/ The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:41:58 GMT
 Disk Image Routine for TP

Quote:
> Hello all, I am new to this group so forgive me if this has been explored
> previously. I would like to code a DOS program to generate an image file
of
> a hard drive - something similar to Symantec's ghost. Any help with the
> logic of how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I need to work
> on FAT(32) and NTFS volumes and since standard disks are now in the 30GB
> range some sort of compression seems mandatory.

Is this to learn about DOS & low-level disc access, or do you want to back
up your data? If the latter, have you considered other alternatives, such as
using partimage (www.partimage.org) under Linux? (I have heard that this is
also available on the Knoppix CD if you can get a recent one of those.)

FP

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 17:31:53 GMT
 Disk Image Routine for TP
No - I have some routines that I wrote that allow me to boot to DOS with an
IP address/stack and map to a network share. I now need to be able to code a
routine that will generate an image of the c: drive (and copy it to the
share) and the reverse - format the c: drive and copy the image from the
share back to the c:. I need to do a limited distibution of the end result -
so third party solutions usually have copyright issues - unless they are
open source/ gpl etc.

Quote:

> > Hello all, I am new to this group so forgive me if this has been
explored
> > previously. I would like to code a DOS program to generate an image file
> of
> > a hard drive - something similar to Symantec's ghost. Any help with the
> > logic of how to go about this would be greatly appreciated. I need to
work
> > on FAT(32) and NTFS volumes and since standard disks are now in the 30GB
> > range some sort of compression seems mandatory.

> Is this to learn about DOS & low-level disc access, or do you want to back
> up your data? If the latter, have you considered other alternatives, such
as
> using partimage (www.partimage.org) under Linux? (I have heard that this
is
> also available on the Knoppix CD if you can get a recent one of those.)

> FP

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 20:44:48 GMT

1. Saving a Portion of an Image to Disk to Recall Later

2. writing image to disk

3. Writing image onto disk

4. Writing graphical images to disk.

5. BIOS routines for Direct Disk Access?

6. HELP DISK SORT ROUTINE

9. TP 7.0 Lost Disk: Can Anyone Help?

10. bitmap.zip Converting Windows Bitmaps to BGI images in TP for DOS

11. TP Image Format

12. PCX images with TP/BP