Pascal & Delphi
Author Message
 Pascal & Delphi

 K> I don't know which language invented subs but Pascal does not call
 K> them subs. Maybe something in Pascal is defined as a sub. And yeah I
 K> would like
 K> to hear some Pascal history...

In Pascal, they are called 'procedures'.  And for a quick history, Pascal came
from Modula-2.  If you would look at Modula-2 source code and Pascal source
code, you'll notice that both are amazingly similar.

 >> > You're saying that VB came out before delphi but that VB copied
 >> Pascal?
 >> He said that the underlying BASIC language did so.
 >> > Basic was in development in 1963, way before VB. Console mode
 >> Basic and > console mode Pascal are similar except for Begin/End
 >> blocks,
 >> Procedure > instead of local Sub, Unit instead of Library sub, and
 >> so on.

 >> What is a sub (outside the water)? That's a modern-day addition,
 >> invented, I believe, by Microsoft for Quickbasic, which has nothing
 >> to do with the original BASIC. It's hard to say exactly what
 >> language they borrowed it from, but Pascal is a good candidate.

Actually (and I am showing my old age here <G>), 'subs' (aka subroutines) can
be traced back to the days of programming in BASIC with - EGADS! - LINE NUMBERS
using the GOSUB...RETURN (again, EGADS!) statements.

 * SeM. 2.26  * The riskier the road, the greater the profit

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal & Delphi

Quote:

>In Pascal, they are called 'procedures'.  And for a quick history, Pascal came
>from Modula-2.

That is pretty strange history. Pascal came from Algol 60. Modula 2 is
derived from Pascal.

Quote:
>If you would look at Modula-2 source code and Pascal source
>code, you'll notice that both are amazingly similar.

That is because both were developed by Wirth. Modula-2 was intended to
fix the problems of Pascal, like the if then else construction, in
addition to bringing support of modules.

An example of the if then else problem is below:

if x=1 then if y=2 then foo
       else bar;

Osmo

Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:47:16 GMT
 Pascal & Delphi

Quote:

> K> I don't know which language invented subs but Pascal does not call
> K> them subs. Maybe something in Pascal is defined as a sub. And yeah I
> K> would like
> K> to hear some Pascal history...

>In Pascal, they are called 'procedures'.  And for a quick history, Pascal came
>from Modula-2.  If you would look at Modula-2 source code and Pascal source
>code, you'll notice that both are amazingly similar.

Close, but no sigar. It is the other way around. M2 was later than Pascal.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal & Delphi
Marco van de Voort wrote ...
Quote:

>>In Pascal, they are called 'procedures'.  And for a quick history,
Pascal came
>>from Modula-2.  If you would look at Modula-2 source code and Pascal
source
>>code, you'll notice that both are amazingly similar.

>Close, but no sigar. It is the other way around. M2 was later than

Pascal.

And that is true, I sware with three fingers on The Origin Of The
Species.

-- (A would-be signature delimiter of OE)
Raimo Suonio, Helsinki, Finland
http://www.nic.fi/%7Ersuonio/
Oikeinkirjoitusohjeita news- ja web-kirjoittajille:
http://www.nic.fi/%7Ersuonio/oikeinkirjoitus/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Pascal & Delphi

2. Turbo Pascal & Delphi

3. Pascal & Delphi Compatibility

4. #&%*$&*EDbEngineError#&%*$&*

5. .&.&.& need help about an SQL query &&&

6. Pascal & Pascal+BASM programs

7. difference between TURBO PASCAL & BORLAND PASCAL

8. difference between TURBO PASCAL & BORLAND PASCAL

9. Delphi:Network config & delphi.dmt

10. 32 bit Pascal version & special O.S.

11. Free pascal & Windows XP

12. Get & Put in turbo pascal