Parallel port I/O code needed.
Author Message
 Parallel port I/O code needed.

Hi there,
I would like to Send/Receive data through the PC's parallel port
(the standard one, not the EPP or ECP) under DOS, to an external
device. The data are 8 bit words. I could describe it as the
same job that does a ZIP drive or an ordinary scanner connected to
the parallel port.

I would like if possible, the code that does this, especially when
I want to READ data from the parallel port (the standard parallel
port was designed only to send data but how the above devices do
get data from the parallel port?)?

Please send your help/info or program code in assembly/c/Pascal/basic

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanking you in advance,

Tax Liaskas, Dept. of Informatics
Univ. of Athens,GREECE

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Parallel port I/O code needed.
You would have better luck asking in one of the platform specific newsgroups:

The standard C language has no concept of parallel ports.  You would need some
compiler extensions or library routines for doing this.

Have you tried:
http://www.snippets.com
http://www.shareware.org

Have searched the web?

Also, if you post on usenet, you read on Usenet.

--
Thomas Matthews

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Parallel port I/O code needed.

Quote:
>Hi there,
>I would like to Send/Receive data through the PC's parallel port
>(the standard one, not the EPP or ECP) under DOS, to an external
>device. The data are 8 bit words....

You will find some (not all, I fear) relevant data at

http://www.arunet.co.uk/tkboyd/ele1pp.htm

The data-into-computer could be (indeed, I believe IS) achieved for
ZIP, etc, not by magically making the output channels accept input,
but by using some of the dedicated input lines. Unfortuately, there
are not 8 to spare, so a more messy nibble (4bits) at a time system
must be implemented.

Tom

--
http://www.arunet.co.uk/tkboyd/offers.htm
Freeware, shareware for IBM type pcs. Ideas for parents, teachers

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Parallel port I/O code needed.

)
)>Hi there,
)>I would like to Send/Receive data through the PC's parallel port
)>(the standard one, not the EPP or ECP) under DOS, to an external
)>device. The data are 8 bit words....
)
)You will find some (not all, I fear) relevant data at
)
)http://www.arunet.co.uk/tkboyd/ele1pp.htm
)
)The data-into-computer could be (indeed, I believe IS) achieved for
)ZIP, etc, not by magically making the output channels accept input,
)but by using some of the dedicated input lines. Unfortuately, there
)are not 8 to spare, so a more messy nibble (4bits) at a time system
)must be implemented.

This is not true. There are 5 inputs and 4 control outputs which are open
collector and can be used as inputs as well. So if you don't need
bi-directional communication, and can live with 9 bits of
output/control, you can also have 8 bits of input.

Mike
--
----
I don't speak for DSC.         <- They make me say that.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Parallel port I/O programming code needed.

2. Need help with getting data from parallel port

3. I need help about Parallel port

4. Parallel port control

5. Reading a parallel port

6. Redefine the parallel port?

7. Parallel port success!!!!

8. BE: Re: parallel port for data acquisition

9. parallel port for data acquisition

10. Parallel port for data acquisition....Continue!

11. About parallel port....

12. PARALLEL PORT READING