Need help in function and array!
Author Message
 Need help in function and array!

Hi guys,
Can you explain me about function and array?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:
> Can you explain me about function and array?

   A function is a subprogram which explicitly returns a value of a
defined data type.  An array is an ordered aggregate of some defined data
type.
   This being said (and is probably meaningless to you), could you be
specific regarding your request here?  What do you need to know about
these two (dissimilar) programming constructs; why are you asking; and
what are your goals for obtaining this information?  Your query here is
extremely vague, and any answer we provide is likely to be almost equally
vague - neither of much use.
   Please give us more information.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:
> Hi guys,
> Can you explain me about function and array?

NO!

RTFM, go to a library or ask your tutor.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> Can you explain me about function and array?

A function is a sub-program that performs a specific task and returns a
value:

function Square(x: integer): longint;
begin
  Square := x * x
end;

You can call it from your main program or from another sub-program like
this:

writeln('The square of ', x, ' is ', Square(x));

An array is a collection of several variables of the same type. All
these variables have the same name; to distinguish them one has to use
an index:

var
  months : array[1..12] of string;
begin
  months[1] := 'January';
  months[2] := 'February';
  months[11] := 'November';
  months[12] := 'December';

  writeln('The second month of the year is ', months[2])
end.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> NO!

> RTFM, go to a library or ask your tutor.

Did it not occur to you that...

a) ...he may not have a tutor to ask. In my town, there is nobody I
could ask for help with Pascal, so I consult newsgroups.
b) ...he may not have manuals because he downloaded Turbo Pascal 5.5 or
older from the the Borland Community web site - or even another freeware
compiler with no manuals?
c) ...he may not have understood what is written in books?
d) ...this is your second absolutely pointless and offending message in
this newsgroup today and that I will honor the next one with a plonk?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> > Can you explain me about function and array?

> A function is a sub-program that performs a specific task and returns
> value:

> function Square(x: integer): longint;
> begin
>   Square := x * x
> end;

> You can call it from your main program or from another sub-program
like
> this:

> writeln('The square of ', x, ' is ', Square(x));

> An array is a collection of several variables of the same type. All
> these variables have the same name; to distinguish them one has to use
> an index:

> var
>   months : array[1..12] of string;
> begin
>   months[1] := 'January';
>   months[2] := 'February';
>   months[11] := 'November';
>   months[12] := 'December';

>   writeln('The second month of the year is ', months[2])
> end.

I'm in a bad mood today...

What have you taught him today? (TM :) )

That he can happily throw away his manuals, because there are always
people who are prepared to waste bandwith answering questions that
should not even be asked! If this geezer had taken the trouble to spend
reading his manual and/or textbook and trying out the examples he should
have known everything there is to know about functions and arrays.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> > NO!

> > RTFM, go to a library or ask your tutor.

> Did it not occur to you that...

> a) ...he may not have a tutor to ask. In my town, there is nobody I
> could ask for help with Pascal, so I consult newsgroups.
> b) ...he may not have manuals because he downloaded Turbo Pascal 5.5
> or older from the the Borland Community web site - or even another
> freeware compiler with no manuals?

He knows about this group, he has Internet access, he could have read
the FAQ, with pointers to GG tutorials. (BTW, the fact that he uses the
Internet indicates that he belongs to a somewhat provileged class in
Indonesia (.id?), so not tutor? ROFL!)

Quote:
> c) ...he may not have understood what is written in books?

Then he should get a book that provides a better explanation! I don't
think there is a way of explaning the concepts of array and function in
such a way that they cannot be understood by someone who is able to
use a PC!

Quote:
> d) ...this is your second absolutely pointless and offending message
> in this newsgroup today

And this is the third! Any problems with it?

Quote:
> and that I will honor the next one with a plonk?

I would suggest that you use a grammar checker next time.

Looking forward to receiving the "plonk?"

My mood is getting worse, but as yet I will stop short of calling you a
pedantic git. (plonker will do for the moment)

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!
Quote:

> My mood is getting worse, but as yet I will stop short of calling you a
> pedantic git. (plonker will do for the moment)

With all due respect to the other pedantic gits ...
but I think you have overestimated ole frederick - "pedantic twit" is
probably closer to the truth. But we are splitting hairs.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> I would suggest that you use a grammar checker next time.

You may have noticed that I am not a native English speaker. You
probably don't know that correcting other people's spelling or grammar
is impolite, especially if they are not native speakers, since
politeness is not really your forte.
I suggest you subscribe to alt.usage.english, as correcting other
people's English seems to be much more fun than correcting Pascal
programs.

Quote:
> My mood is getting worse, but as yet I will stop short of calling you a
> pedantic git. (plonker will do for the moment)

I won't plonk you this time. Your arrogant and involuntarily comical
posts are much too funny, I wouldn't want to miss them.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> With all due respect to the other pedantic gits ...
> but I think you have overestimated ole frederick - "pedantic twit" is
> probably closer to the truth. But we are splitting hairs.

goto hell

*plonk*

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!
Goto hell
That's a good one, Frederic!
Quote:

> > With all due respect to the other pedantic gits ...
> > but I think you have overestimated ole frederick - "pedantic twit" is
> > probably closer to the truth. But we are splitting hairs.

> goto hell

> *plonk*

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> > I would suggest that you use a grammar checker next time.

> You may have noticed that I am not a native English speaker.

No darling, from your 13-in-a-dozen email address I cannot see where you
come from!

Quote:
> You
> probably don't know that correcting other people's spelling or grammar
> is impolite, especially if they are not native speakers, since
> politeness is not really your forte.

I'm soooo sorry to have hurt your soft soul.

BTW, like you, I'm also a non-native English speaker, but I have
absolutely no objections against people pointing out my mistakes, as it
will help me to avoid them in the future.

Quote:
> I suggest you subscribe to alt.usage.english, as correcting other
> people's English seems to be much more fun than correcting Pascal
> programs.

> > My mood is getting worse, but as yet I will stop short of calling
> > you a pedantic git. (plonker will do for the moment)

> I won't plonk you this time. Your arrogant and involuntarily comical
> posts are much too funny, I wouldn't want to miss them.

Rest assured sweetie-pie, you won't.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> BTW, like you, I'm also a non-native English speaker, but I have
> absolutely no objections against people pointing out my mistakes, as it
> will help me to avoid them in the future.

Could you please quote the message where you pointed out my mistake,
thereby helping me to avoid it in the future? I am afraid it did not
make it to my news server.

Either you contribute something useful or you keep your trap shut,
clown.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!
On Wed, 06 Oct 1999 19:41:53 GMT, Robert AH Prins

Quote:

> I'm in a bad mood today...

Next time you are in a bad mood try to sit on your hands instead of
reaching the keyboard and polluting this newsgroup with aggressivity
and rudeness, please.

Unsollicited lessons are worth the price you paying for them.
Surprisingly this is true for newsgroups, too.

Regards
Horst

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Need help in function and array!

Quote:

> > My mood is getting worse, but as yet I will stop short of calling you a
> > pedantic git. (plonker will do for the moment)
> With all due respect to the other pedantic gits ...
> but I think you have overestimated ole frederick - "pedantic twit" is
> probably closer to the truth. But we are splitting hairs.

With no respect: You wan't to make friends with aggressive flamers
because nobody listens anymore to you when you are ON TOPIC ?

Poor guy,

Regards
Horst

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Need Help in Array!

2. Urgent help with arrays needed please

3. Need help with 3D arrays.

4. Help needed understanding Parallel Arrays

5. ARRAYS!! need help from all the genius

6. Sorting arrays help needed

7. Need Help with sorting through numbers in an array

8. I need to make a large array for my Computing A-Level project - can you help

9. I need to make a large array for my Computing A-Level project - can you help

10. I need help with loops and arrays!

11. Need Help w/BubbleSort w/Arrays

12. I need help with loops and arrays!