TPX and XMS
Author Message
 TPX and XMS

Hi there,
I make a very big program for my company, and the program use (I mean
allocate) XMS, at the same time I need the "debug" facility in IDE. The
problem is,

1. If I use TURBO.EXE, conventional memory just not enough to compile or
tu run (especially calling NEW()) the program.

2. If I use TPX.EXE, I don't have XMS left for my program to allocate.

Anyone can help? Thanx in advanced.

Yusup

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 TPX and XMS

Quote:

> Hi there,
> I make a very big program for my company, and the program use (I mean
> allocate) XMS, at the same time I need the "debug" facility in IDE. The
> problem is,

> 1. If I use TURBO.EXE, conventional memory just not enough to compile or
> tu run (especially calling NEW()) the program.

> 2. If I use TPX.EXE, I don't have XMS left for my program to allocate.

Simple, go out any buy Borland Pascal 7 from someone ... I don't think you
can get it in shops anymore.  Maybe they'll have a copy up on eBay, check it
out.  BP7 allows you to switch between real, protected, etc.

Hope this works =)

-=Yusuf=-

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 TPX and XMS

Quote:
> I make a very big program for my company, and the program use (I mean
> allocate) XMS, at the same time I need the "debug" facility in IDE. The
> problem is,
> 1. If I use TURBO.EXE, conventional memory just not enough to compile or
> tu run (especially calling NEW()) the program.
> 2. If I use TPX.EXE, I don't have XMS left for my program to allocate.
> Anyone can help? Thanx in advanced.

   The problem, no doubt, is that you're depending on doing all this work
(editing, compiling, execution) in the TP IDE environment.  As you've
discovered, this can be quite restrictive for large programs, and the
best solution available to you is to Compile to Disk and execute the .EXE
from the DOS command.  You can use TPC or TPX to do the compile, and
either Make or Build will be a good choice to manage your project.
   Once you have the .EXE, running it from the DOS command will provide
the maximum amount of available Real Memory for your Heap allocations.
   And BTW, I suggest you learn and use other ways to debug your program
than the IDE de{*filter*} - there are several ways (even though they're not
as elegant and "fun" as a de{*filter*} utility).

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 TPX and XMS

Quote:

> 2. If I use TPX.EXE, I don't have XMS left for my program to allocate.

From the readme in the TP directory (under question 6):

***
If you want to be able to run BC++ or Paradox from within
TPX.EXE, you will need to use the EXTLEAVE option for the RTM
environment variable in order to leave enough memory available.
For example, you can set aside 2 MB for other programs by using:

  SET RTM=EXTLEAVE 2048

See the printed documentation for more information regarding the
RTM environment variable.
***

Jonas

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 TPX and XMS
write the program in a text editor (notepad or equiv) and then debug using
the debug feature in the command line, and use the command line compiler to
compile. this would take a long time though, but it should compile larger
programs. worth a try maybe?
cya
craig

Quote:
> Hi there,
> I make a very big program for my company, and the program use (I mean
> allocate) XMS, at the same time I need the "debug" facility in IDE. The
> problem is,

> 1. If I use TURBO.EXE, conventional memory just not enough to compile or
> tu run (especially calling NEW()) the program.

> 2. If I use TPX.EXE, I don't have XMS left for my program to allocate.

> Anyone can help? Thanx in advanced.

> Yusup

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 TPX and XMS

Quote:
> Hi there,
> I make a very big program for my company, and the program use (I mean
> allocate) XMS, at the same time I need the "debug" facility in IDE. The
> problem is,

> 1. If I use TURBO.EXE, conventional memory just not enough to compile or
> tu run (especially calling NEW()) the program.

> 2. If I use TPX.EXE, I don't have XMS left for my program to allocate.

> Anyone can help? Thanx in advanced.

> Yusup

Put following line into AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET DPMIMEM=MAXMEM 4096

Now TPX takes only 4MB (=4096) and the rest of RAM is available for
other programs.

-- Heinz Fink

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 TPX and XMS

Quote:
> > I make a very big program for my company> > > 2. If I use TPX.EXE, I

don't have XMS left for my program to allocate.
Quote:
> > Anyone can help? Thanx in advanced>    The problem, no doubt, is that

you're depending on doing all this work

Quote:
> (editing, compiling, execution) in the TP IDE environment.  As you've
> discovered, this can be quite restrictive for large programs, and the
> best solution available to you is to Compile to Disk and execute the .EXE
> from the DOS command

With TP7 the de{*filter*} in TPX and the large XMS memory available using DPMI
is invaluable, especially for large programs. It is almost impossible to
debug run time errors from running the EXE.

Bruce V. Henderson
Telecommunications Software Systems Engineer

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Accessing XMS in TPX.exe

2. Why does TPX use all my XMS Memory?

3. tpx file extension

4. Int 3Eh shortcut - Do YOU use MATH.TPx

5. TPX & restarting the computer

6. TPX.EXE AND TURBO.EXE {difference between}

7. TPX.EXE and TURBO.EXE

8. What is TPX.EXE???

9. TURBO or TPX

10. Anyone using TPX?