Decent Top-View Map File Format
Author Message
 Decent Top-View Map File Format

ok, i tried posting this before, butit rejected the artical, maybethis
one will be better  explained anyways (or worse?!)  on withit!

Well, for a couple months now, I have been constently thinking of a way
to read a graphical tile map in a file (as seen in consol games such as
the infamous Final Fantasy series)  My theory is definatly not the best,
could be even the worst, but the way I discribe SHOULD WORK.

I would like input wether you know a better way, or can point out any
troubles in this.

Method One.

0..9, a..z, A..Z, and maybe some, ..?, are used in a dos file, I write a
procedurethat seeks into that file, and if it encounters a character it
understands, it displays a sprite in that position.  For example, lets
say r is the sprite for a road, and g is that for grass, the dos file
would look like:

[LONG ROAD]
ggggrgggg
gggrrgggg
gggrggggg
gggrggggg
gggrggggg

Get it?

Method Two:

Same as one, BUT a, and A would be the exact same sprite, except the
capital A would mean it's unpassible, such as a wall.  For example, lets
add some tree's to the road, lets say T is for a tree

[LONG ROAD]
TTggrggTg
TgTrrgTTT
TTgrgTTTT
TggrggTTg
gTTrgTgTT

please reply with useful input.

cya

Sat, 19 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. .MAP file format and overlay debugger hook

2. Can't view Paradox 7 formatted memo in Delpi 3

3. Program To view Pictures (any format)

4. How to View Word6.0 Format

5. FPC Win32 memory mapped files for IPC

6. TP6, Overlay, Map files

7. FPC Win32 memory mapped files for IPC

8. Q: Function of @ in .MAP Files?

9. Problem in mapping file into process's address space

10. Any decent Pascal interpeters out there?

11. Converting ASCII Text file to compress binary file format

12. File format for *.FNT files.....