Gfx
Author Message
 Gfx

Can someone explain me what is "sprite", mode-x,how is retracing done ?
(examples are welcomed)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Gfx

Quote:

> Can someone explain me what is "sprite", mode-x,how is retracing done
> ?
> (examples are welcomed)

Have a look at http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek/program.html. It has just
this type of basic info on graphics programming.

Remco de Korte
Soft Machine / R.S.I.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Gfx

Quote:
> Can someone explain me what is "sprite", mode-x,how is retracing done ?
> (examples are welcomed)

Sprite:
Somesort of rectangular shape with a graphical image in it, generally
see-thru. The term 'Sprite' actualy comes from the good old Amiga and
Commodore 64 days, where sprites were hardcoded things. PC's don't support
hardcoded stuff like that (well, a few years ago they didn't), so you'll
have to do the sprite-coding yourself...

Mode-X:
A tweaked graphical mode, making use of the possibillity to mess around
with the VGA-registers. The trick is to 'unchain' the standard VGA-mode's
to a so-called Mode-X. Changing frequencies and that sorta thing opens all
sorts of {*filter*} possebillities.

Retracing:
The ray in the monitor, which displays the image on the screen, is traceble
through certain VGA-ports (port[$3da]). By checking if a certain bit is set
(or not) one can derive the position of the electronbeam. The beam traces
from the upperleft corner to the right, and then on to the next line. When
it reaches the lower right corner it goes back to the upperleft corner.
This change in position takes up some time, which should be enough to draw
your image on the screen. This ensures glitch-free annimation.

Anyhow, more about all of this can be found in my Gfxfx2-package, which can
be found on my homepage.

--
Bas van Gaalen,

http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~bas (homepage)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Urgent help needed with GFx mode and BlockRead/BlockWrite

2. help!!!! Problems using GFX

3. Gfx functions

4. Wanna learn High/TrueColor GFX

5. Problems Accessing GFX Mode Second Time Round!

6. Silver_Serpent GFX tutorials

7. READ IF DEVELOPING GFX UNIT

8. GFX effects

9. GFX