TP 7.01 - English help file?
Author Message
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

I've just downloaded and installed Turbo Pascal 7.01 from the Borland France
website, and to my surprise the whole interface (menus, dialogs, etc) is
English, just the help file is in French - I thought the whole thing,
including the Pascal language, would be French. Is it possible to get an
English version of the help files for this, or do I have to make do with my
very limited knowledge of French? (I've read the FAQ and didn't see this
question, before anyone asks...)

Thanks,
Iain

--
Iain Jones
The OAC - Liverpool's Hillwalking Club

Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:06:00 GMT
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

Quote:

> I've just downloaded and installed Turbo Pascal 7.01 from the Borland France
> website, and to my surprise the whole interface (menus, dialogs, etc) is
> English, just the help file is in French - I thought the whole thing,
> including the Pascal language, would be French.

Why? So that every .PAS file found somewhere on the WWW had to be
translated to french befor being useable with the french version of the
compiler first? ;-)

Quote:
>Is it possible to get an
> English version of the help files for this,

Not legally for free as far as I know...

Quote:
> or do I have to make do with my
> very limited knowledge of French? (I've read the FAQ and didn't see this
> question, before anyone asks...)

It seems you have, but remember: you got this for free!

Greetings

Markus

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:59:08 GMT
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

Quote:

>> I've just downloaded and installed Turbo Pascal 7.01 from the Borland
>> France website, and to my surprise the whole interface (menus,
>> dialogs, etc) is English, just the help file is in French - I thought
>> the whole thing, including the Pascal language, would be French.

> Why? So that every .PAS file found somewhere on the WWW had to be
> translated to french befor being useable with the french version of the
> compiler first? ;-)

...or French programmers have to learn English before they can write
programs? ;-)

Are there any non-English programming languages?

Quote:

>>Is it possible to get an
>> English version of the help files for this,

> Not legally for free as far as I know...

>> or do I have to make do with my
>> very limited knowledge of French? (I've read the FAQ and didn't see
>> this question, before anyone asks...)

> It seems you have, but remember: you got this for free!

I should have known: you dont get something for nothing!

--
Iain Jones
The OAC - Liverpool's Hillwalking Club
www.luoac.co.uk

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:30:31 GMT
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

Quote:

>> Why? So that every .PAS file found somewhere on the WWW had to be
>> translated to french befor being useable with the french version of the
>> compiler first? ;-)

> ...or French programmers have to learn English before they can write
> programs? ;-)

> Are there any non-English programming languages?

Some guy took FPC and created a spanish translation (_of_ the language).

Some other languages/development system store source in a tokenized format,
and one can load a keyword<->token translation table.

(pretty much the "humorbasic" approach under the C=64. They copied the Basic
ROM into RAM, and then changed the token<->keyword xlat table.

IIRC there is something like that somewhere in the (huge) simtel archive.

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:03:34 GMT
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

Quote:
> I've just downloaded and installed Turbo Pascal 7.01 from the Borland France
> website, and to my surprise the whole interface (menus, dialogs, etc) is
> English, just the help file is in French - I thought the whole thing,
> including the Pascal language, would be French. Is it possible to get an
> English version of the help files for this, or do I have to make do with my
> very limited knowledge of French? (I've read the FAQ and didn't see this
> question, before anyone asks...)

I don't think there is a legal way...

Rufus

Wed, 27 Oct 2004 05:26:38 GMT
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

Quote:

> >> I've just downloaded and installed Turbo Pascal 7.01 from the
Borland
> >> France website, and to my surprise the whole interface (menus,
> >> dialogs, etc) is English, just the help file is in French - I
thought
> >> the whole thing, including the Pascal language, would be French.

> > Why? So that every .PAS file found somewhere on the WWW had to be
> > translated to french befor being useable with the french version of
the
> > compiler first? ;-)

> ...or French programmers have to learn English before they can write
> programs? ;-)

> Are there any non-English programming languages?

I found out that the Corel Quattro Pro spreadsheet program uses
translated function names. I am not sure whether a spreadsheed made in
language A will run in CQP of language B, but in itself I think this is a
stupid thing to do. I does not help to translate very well known
statements like if then else, sqrt, sqr, and, or, etc

-- Femme

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 21:40:31 GMT
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

Quote:

> > I've just downloaded and installed Turbo Pascal 7.01 from the
Borland France
> > website, and to my surprise the whole interface (menus, dialogs,
etc) is
> > English, just the help file is in French - I thought the whole
thing,
> > including the Pascal language, would be French.

> Why? So that every .PAS file found somewhere on the WWW had to be
> translated to french befor being useable with the french version of
the
> compiler first? ;-)

Wouldn't put it past them.

I heard once that something like this happened in the early years of
COBOL. Different compilers used different dialects of English, so that
programs using words ending with -ise might have to be misspelled -ize
when moving to another compiler. But I don't know COBOL, and my
brother who does is too young to know about that, so it might be a
myth.

Quote:
> >Is it possible to get an
> > English version of the help files for this,

> Not legally for free as far as I know...

> > or do I have to make do with my
> > very limited knowledge of French? (I've read the FAQ and didn't
see this
> > question, before anyone asks...)

> It seems you have, but remember: you got this for free!

Much of the language is still as it was in TP5.5, which may be
downloaded for free in English. Would it be worth running the English
version of that in another window for reference purposes, maybe as an
aid to translation?

FP

Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:49:19 GMT
 TP 7.01 - English help file?

[deleted]

Quote:
> Are there any non-English programming languages?

  Why not?
  I know some on Russian :) So translated as original :)

--
   Varjonov Konstantin       varkos^mail.ru      http://ghsrl.newmail.ru

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:05:18 GMT

1. TP 7 vs. TP 7.01

2. TP 7.0 vs 7.01

3. TP/BP 7.01 shift bug?

4. TP 7.0 vs 7.01 - How to Differentiate

5. Is there a 7.01 update for BP/TP or did I dream it

6. TP 7.01 ??

7. TP 7.0 & BP 7.01

8. I'll trade TP 7.01 for TP6.0

9. DelphiX help file for Win98, English (UK)

10. Accessing Micrsoft C Libaries from BP 7.01 or How to read Windows .FON files

11. Two files off disk 10 of BP 7.01

12. Delphi 3 ressources files needed, please ! (english version)