Exec command v. Debugger
Author Message
 Exec command v. Debugger

Exec command and de{*filter*}s

I have been asked to work on a legacy program, where a
(small) main program calls, via Exec,
a (much larger) program. Both are protected mode.

TD286, TD386 or TDX will not trace into the protected program,
they execute it in one shot. If it crashes, TD386 will disrupt the CMOS.

I am running in Win95 MSDOS mode. I have used all the debug and map
options.

Can this be corrected?

Are there any settings that will allow tracing into the Exec'd program?

Any help/suggestion/advice/hint will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Exec command v. Debugger

Quote:
>Exec command and de{*filter*}s

>I have been asked to work on a legacy program, where a
>(small) main program calls, via Exec,
>a (much larger) program. Both are protected mode.

>TD286, TD386 or TDX will not trace into the protected program,
>they execute it in one shot. If it crashes, TD386 will disrupt the CMOS.

You want to debug the program that is shelled? How about replacing the
exec command with one that executes the de{*filter*} with the program and
then run the main program normally (i.e. not through de{*filter*})

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Exec command v. Debugger

Quote:
>I have been asked to work on a legacy program, where a
>(small) main program calls, via Exec,
>a (much larger) program. Both are protected mode.

>Are there any settings that will allow tracing into the Exec'd program?

>Any help/suggestion/advice/hint will be greatly appreciated.

Can you run the exec'd program as a stand-alone ? If so, then you should
be able to trace through the exec'd program if you compile with debug
info.

If the exec'd program *needs* the small main program, can you duplicate
the stuff needed via command line parameters in the exec'd program with
a small rewrite.

You could also try changing the exec procedure to run the exec'd program
under the de{*filter*} and start the small main program without using the
de{*filter*}.

--
Pedt Scragg

No-one is completely useless, they can always be a bad example.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Exec command v. Debugger
Perhaps you could load the EXECuted program in TD...

Quote:
> Exec command and de{*filter*}s

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. BP7 with Command Line, QEdit, and Borland Debugger

2. Pascal Exec command in Windows XP Environment

3. Turbo Pascal 7 Exec Command Trouble

4. exec command whit FPK Pascal

5. the exec command

6. Sending long Command lines to Exec

7. How to exec system commands

8. Help: Exec command with TPW 1.5

9. equivalant exec command in BP for BPW

10. Exec Command problem

11. Exec file, no command.com required?

12. Exec file, no command.com required?