proper way to use single and double precision?
Author Message
 proper way to use single and double precision?

Is there two way to tell Pascal to use single and double precision?

I use the compiler option.

The other is to use directive?

Which one is correct?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 proper way to use single and double precision?

;>
;>Is there two way to tell pascal to use single and double precision?
;>
;>I use the compiler option.
;>
;>The other is to use directive?
;>
;>Which one is correct?
;>

Depends on your compiler, standard Pascal only has one precision
(which on it's original implementation, would have been "double"
all the time). Are you using us to do your homework ? :)

                                          [sam]

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 proper way to use single and double precision?
PC> Is there two way to tell pascal to use single and double
PC> precision? I use the compiler option. The other is to use
PC> directive? Which one is correct?

Well, since you're cross-posting to a Borland Pascal group...

Turbo Pascal offers several differenct real data-types:
real -> 11-12 significant digits -> 6 bytes in size
single -> 7-8 -> 4
double -> 15-16 -> 8
extended -> 19-20 -> 10
comp -> 19-20 -> 8

Since this information above is specific to Borland's compiler and
only useful if you're using one, please reference the manual or help
file for further information.

AutoDesk has a good white-paper on the difference between single and
double-precision. Although specific to coordinate precision it's still
written well enough [minus the marketing speech]. If you need it
translated to something other than Word, let me know.
http://www.autodesk.com/solution/gis/whtpaper/precis.exe

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Conversion of double precision

2. Double Precision FFT

3. single or double quote with tquery

4. Q: Responding to Double Click versus Single Click

5. using a single foxpro table

6. 2 ways to refer field in Data Module

7. Wanted: big databases that are corrupted in interesting ways

8. Ways to test the .EXE final program ???

9. Creative ways to hang Windows

10. Four ways scrolling on VGA / SVGA

11. Proper conversion techniques wanted

12. Proper random numbers?