HELP NEEDED!! character setup
Author Message
 HELP NEEDED!! character setup

Hello,

I've installed Borland Turbo Pascal 6 and 5. When I type the cording it
prints wrong characters on the screen, for example for '{' it shows it
french a character..,, and for '?' it also shows the french '' ..  I have
looked into my Bios to see if there language setup.. but non... I even
called the computer manufacturer (DELL) and asked them if this is a problem
with any Bios setup.. well, they seemed not to know how to fix it.. they
sugessted me to look to the Regional Settings and  Keyboard settings in the
Windows settings.. it is set American (English) .. well, I've tried this and
that and haven't got a clue how to fix it.. I would be greatful if you could
help me out..

Thanks in advance..
Yaseen.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 HELP NEEDED!! character setup

Quote:
Yaseen Hameed wrote...
>I've installed Borland Turbo Pascal 6 and 5. When I type the cording it
>prints wrong characters on the screen, for example for '{' it shows it
>french a character..,, and for '?' it also shows the french '' ..  I have
>looked into my Bios to see if there language setup.. but non... I even
>called the computer manufacturer (DELL) and asked them if this is a problem
>with any Bios setup.. well, they seemed not to know how to fix it.. they
>sugessted me to look to the Regional Settings and  Keyboard settings in the
>Windows settings.. it is set American (English) .. well, I've tried this and
>that and haven't got a clue how to fix it.. I would be greatful if you could
>help me out..

What happen when you open a command prompt and press those keys?
If problem exists, it has nothing to do with TP[56].

Also check your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and comment out any
foreign keyboad driver.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 HELP NEEDED!! character setup
Hi,

I could not find a CODEPAGE .. but in my Config.sys , there is a line as
'Country=004,850,c:\windows\COMMAND\country.sys'  .. and is there a way to
set the keyboard at the boot? I coudn't find it..

thanks for the great help.. I hope I could fix it..

-Yaseen

Quote:
> Hi,

> > Yaseen Hameed wrote...

> >>I've installed Borland Turbo Pascal 6 and 5. When I type the cording it
> >>prints wrong characters on the screen, for example for '{' it shows it
> >>french a character..,, and for '?' it also shows the french '' ..  I
have

> <snip>

> > If problem exists, it has nothing to do with TP[56].

> Neither with Dell...

> > Also check your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and comment out any
> > foreign keyboad driver.

> What he should look for is a line such as "mode con codepage=850".
> However I doubt that this is a codepage problem, as I don't know
> any codepage that has an '' for a '?'. Most codepages commonly used
> are ASCII compatible and should not mess with the first 128 characters,
> to which '{' and '?' belong.

>  - Sebastian

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 HELP NEEDED!! character setup
Hi,

Yeah.. it shows the same wrong characters when I type in the MS-DOS prompt..
i can't type any of these characters: '/' , '\' , '{' , '}' , '[' , ']' ,
'?' ... and may more..

Thanks.

-Yaseen.

Quote:
> Yaseen Hameed wrote...

> >I've installed Borland Turbo Pascal 6 and 5. When I type the cording it
> >prints wrong characters on the screen, for example for '{' it shows it
> >french a character..,, and for '?' it also shows the french '' ..  I
have
> >looked into my Bios to see if there language setup.. but non... I even
> >called the computer manufacturer (DELL) and asked them if this is a
problem
> >with any Bios setup.. well, they seemed not to know how to fix it.. they
> >sugessted me to look to the Regional Settings and  Keyboard settings in
the
> >Windows settings.. it is set American (English) .. well, I've tried this
and
> >that and haven't got a clue how to fix it.. I would be greatful if you
could
> >help me out..

> What happen when you open a command prompt and press those keys?
> If problem exists, it has nothing to do with TP[56].

> Also check your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and comment out any
> foreign keyboad driver.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 HELP NEEDED!! character setup

> Yaseen Hameed wrote...

>>I've installed Borland Turbo Pascal 6 and 5. When I type the cording it
>>prints wrong characters on the screen, for example for '{' it shows it
>>french a character..,, and for '?' it also shows the french '' ..  I have

<snip>

Quote:
> If problem exists, it has nothing to do with TP[56].

Neither with Dell...

Quote:
> Also check your AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS and comment out any
> foreign keyboad driver.

What he should look for is a line such as "mode con codepage=850".
However I doubt that this is a codepage problem, as I don't know
any codepage that has an '' for a '?'. Most codepages commonly used
are ASCII compatible and should not mess with the first 128 characters,
to which '{' and '?' belong.

 - Sebastian

Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:02:13 GMT
 HELP NEEDED!! character setup

Quote:

> Hi,

> I could not find a CODEPAGE .. but in my Config.sys , there is a line as
> 'Country=004,850,c:\windows\COMMAND\country.sys'  .. and is there a way to
> set the keyboard at the boot? I coudn't find it..

> thanks for the great help.. I hope I could fix it..

From a DOS prompt, what does "keyb" give you? If the current keyboard code
isn't 'us' that's probably your problem (you can use keyb to fix this).

Tue, 29 Apr 2003 11:49:00 GMT
 HELP NEEDED!! character setup

Quote:
> Hello,

> I've installed Borland Turbo Pascal 6 and 5. When I type the cording
it
> prints wrong characters on the screen, for example for '{' it shows
it
> french a character..,, and for '?' it also shows the french '' ..
I have
> looked into my Bios to see if there language setup.. but non... I
even
> called the computer manufacturer (DELL) and asked them if this is a
problem
> with any Bios setup.. well, they seemed not to know how to fix it..
they
> sugessted me to look to the Regional Settings and  Keyboard settings
in the
> Windows settings.. it is set American (English) .. well, I've tried
this and
> that and haven't got a clue how to fix it.. I would be greatful if
you could
> help me out..

Are you working in a DOS box under Windows 95 (or 98)? If so, you need
to change the font for the DOS box program. Otherwise the DOS box is
not displaying the correct chars even if they are correct in the
program.

Do the characters all change to the correct ones if you go to
full-screen mode? (press alt-Enter to toggle in/out of full-screen
mode) If not, you need to fix your keyboard code page as well.
Otherwise you aren't even getting the right chars internally.

There is a program on the Windows 95 CD called CHANGECP which might
fix the first problem. You need to change to code page 437. This has
worked for me in the past, although it doesn't work on my machine now
:( I don't know why, maybe it only works once. Sounds like you're
using a worse code page than I am, though; I get odd chars in the
outlines of windows which is only a minor annoyance.

To fix the keyboard problem you need to use KEYB, which someone has
mentioned in a previous post. Don't know what the parameters for KEYB
are though, it needs to match the layout of your keyboard and that
varies from one country to another.

FP

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. character set problem, need help!!

2. Help needed with reading and counting of characters and words

3. Help needed with reading and counting of characters and

4. Need help with Null Characters and Blob Fields

5. converting string characters to char characters

6. HELP: Setup disks - Distributing app with BDE

7. HELP: Setup for MSSQL Clients ODBC/BDE??

8. HELP: Eschalon Setup BDE problem with D3

9. setup program Help?

10. Help, Interbase how to setup

11. HELP DB SETUP NEWBIE URGENT !!!

12. Help for the SETUP.exe!!!