Flat memory!
Author Message
 Flat memory!

If anyone knows how to enter flat memory mode, or
if anyone know where i can find information about flat memory, please
tell me,
I would be very happy...

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Flat memory!

Quote:

>If anyone knows how to enter flat memory mode, or

Hello,
I use FPKPascal (or TMT pascal), and PMODE 2.51 (written by Tran) for assembly
programming (TMT uses the PMODE 3.0 extender!!!)

Quote:
>if anyone know where i can find information about flat memory, please
>tell me, I would be very happy...

Flat mode is the simplest memory model: similar to .com files. The whole
program goes into a big 32-bit segment (this allows to grow up to 4GB), all
references are 32-bit near jumps/calls, all data can be accessed with a simple
linear pointer. NO 64K LIMIT!!! NO 1MB LIMIT!!! :-)
(Just protected mode problems :-)

To enter flat mode, you need allocate the memory needed by your app, create a
selector for CS and a CS alias to DS, SS. The extenders will do this! (Delphi,
PMODE, DOS32, GO32, GW4PRO, etc...)

BandiT

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Flat memory!

Quote:

> If anyone knows how to enter flat memory mode, or
> if anyone know where i can find information about flat memory, please
> tell me,
> I would be very happy...

I can suggest You to use Pascal to C++ converter to overcome 64k
limitation. So You can get real 32-bit application without
(or with minimal) changes of original sources.
You can continue development in Pascal, convert program to C++
and compile with C++ compiler before run. As far as development
cycle becomes more complex in this case I suggest You to migrate to C++
(with Pascal emulation library it is not so far from Pascal:
you can use Pascal like arrays, sets, strings and file io).
Also BGI emulation library for MS-Windows and X=Windows is available.

My browser is physicist. His favorite language is Pascal (he studied it
in university). But now he realize that he want more memory than
54K for his applications. He also need some simple graphics library
to animate evaluation of functions. His programs mostly evaluate
some functions and visualize this process at screen.
It isn't so convenient to develop such programs with event-driven
programming paradigm used in MS-Windows. As far as I already had Pascal
to C++ converter at this moment I had implemented BGI emulation library
for MS-Windows. Now my browser have converted his programs to C++
and use WinBGI. He is happy with them because:

1) He have not to learn new graphics library;
2) Converted application runs much faster them original one, because
   it is real 32-bit application using all optimization power
   of modern C++ compilers;
3) He doesn't worry any more about size of his arrays (certainly
   if them fit into virtual memory:)

PTOC and WinBGI are shareware.
You can download them from my homepage:

        http://www.ispras.ru/~knizhnik

WinBGI is available not only for Turbo Pascal, but also for Turbo C.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Flat memory models

2. Real Mode Flat memory of 4 GIG????

3. Flat memory, 32bit, why don't pascal have these?

4. flat-file datasets

5. Midas flat-file indexes, help

6. Debugging Flat Mode Code

7. Can FreePascal generate flat binary files?

8. Flat-file database w/out BDE?

9. I can't use my paradox database(flat-file) for multiuser

10. Connect to a flat bed scanner?

11. real flat mode????

12. VESA LFB & Flat real mode