Command Interpreter
Author Message
 Command Interpreter

Hello,
I've been writing a Command Interpreter/Shell for the BBS system im writing.
the system itself is based around the shell, (effectivly rlogin for dos, but
with different stuff, like tag files etc), anyway, the shell itself seems to
be working better now i've dumped all the non-needed stuff from the main
program (i.e: moved the DIR command to an external file, along with many
others).. the problem
i have is not so much that it dont work (it does) but that it seems
limited.. i would really like to see other
command interpreters (in Pascal). to see what modifications i can make and
what features i can add.
Im hoping to complete the project within the next 3-6months and upload it as
freeware :-) with the
source (for free also) availible by request..
Any help in any of these departments would be great:
1) Command interpreters
2) Standard Dos commands/Utils (although i have done many already)
3) FOSSIL comms routines (mine are all based on the X00 documentation, they
work, but a bit whiney)
4) Anything pascal :-)

The compiler im using is Turbo Pascal 7, with portions being done in
FreePascal 32 (non-comms parts, only some external utils that need huge
arrays and stuff).

Anyway, Thanks in anticipation,
Adam Mead, Essex, UK

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Command Interpreter

Quote:
> 4) Anything pascal :-)

I do might have some stuff in Modula2, which does filename completion.

It is not pascal, but quite close, and maybe enough to get the idea.
If you want to try, give a hint and an email addr, and I'll try to dig
it up.

Quote:
> The compiler im using is Turbo Pascal 7, with portions being done in
> FreePascal 32 (non-comms parts, only some external utils that need huge
> arrays and stuff).

You should use FPC anyway as much as possible. :-) This because strings
in BP are limited to 255 chars, and because LFN support is easier.

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Command Interpreter

Quote:
> Hello,
> I've been writing a Command Interpreter/Shell for the BBS system im

writing.
Yes I've tryed this before.

[..CUT..]

Quote:
> i have is not so much that it dont work (it does) but that it seems
> limited..

What is your shell based around? i.e. dos v6/bash? This would help in
decideing what approach to take for futher improvements.

Quote:
>i would really like to see other
> command interpreters (in pascal).

 As in system ones or just batch processors?

Quote:
>to see what modifications i can make and
> what features i can add.
> Im hoping to complete the project within the next 3-6months and upload it
as
> freeware :-) with the
> source (for free also) availible by request..
> Any help in any of these departments would be great:
> 1) Command interpreters

I was about to mention that I've been working on a lib of pascal
functions/procedures for string manipulation for the sole purpose of
designing an assembly/programming language, but I origonally designed them
for a shell/command like util I was writeing for fun. well any way some of
the really bad code of mine can be found at http://www.*-*-*.com/
(that's not me) MuA-Qh01 and MuA-QH02 programs where mostley designed to
handel strings for password cracking etc but the rou{*filter*}s can be quite
easyily made to process allmost any style of syntax (espically my newer
library for string handeling).

[..CUT..]

Quote:
> 3) FOSSIL comms routines (mine are all based on the X00 documentation,

they work, but a bit whiney)

As I remember x00 and bnu (the origonal?) fossil utils where slightley
incompatable with each other simplely coz x00 had a few bugs that where
pushed as features by the bbs community .. sorry just a little but of
history :)

Quote:
> 4) Anything pascal :-)

> The compiler im using is Turbo Pascal 7, with portions being done in
> FreePascal 32 (non-comms parts, only some external utils that need huge
> arrays and stuff).

erk I've abandoned tp7 as it's {*filter*}compared to fpc I also have a
pIII/celeron so tp7 isen't that great anymore.

Quote:
> Anyway, Thanks in anticipation,
> Adam Mead, Essex, UK

Anyway I hope that it helps.. and if you want a better version of that lib
(it's called vvpw.pas btw) then I'll happily give you a copy.

Have fun

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Command Interpreter
thanks for the reply!, was thinking no-one knew what i was on about :-)

The command interpreter is a bit like remote dos, (rlogin), it has its own
programs attached to it that are dos/unix like,
ie: chmod, type, dir, etc etc. these are all written for it as its got to be
able to work remotely, although most code can be ported to use my fossil
routines, the fossil driver im using  is x00, and yes im making use of one
of its 'bugs' that are not in the fossil implemention, namely the drop rts
on write to disk, (wouldnt want buffer overruns now would we <g>)
as an interpreter what it basicly does atm is get a paramcount, i use this
to get the first command etc, look for the ; command
stacking char ;  and process the command line upto that point, i.e

copys the input string upto at first ';' char is found or end of string, any
remainder goes into buffer which is put back into input string after
processing of this command line.
then does....
i:=get_scount(tempstr);
if i>0 then cmd:=get_sstr(tempstr,1);
then go on to process that command and so on...

well thats a very basic look at it, if you want the full thing as of now
lemmie know, although i've removed all the fossil
routines atm because of getting it to work properly local is more important
at the mo. (will port it later)
i have found a bug somewhere that seems to have popped up out of no-where,
it causes exceptions when you run a batch file!?!?, i'll just put it down to
bit rot ;-) , will fix it later....

as for freepascal... it doesnt like me calling real mode ints using
registers.. hence why i did it in tp7 (because the fossil driver is real
mode)
----> note, im going to re-write the comms routines so that a fossil isnt
needed... im armed with a book on serial programming!.

and yeah!, can i have a peek at that code you've got?

Adam Mead, Essex, UK

Quote:

> > Hello,
> > I've been writing a Command Interpreter/Shell for the BBS system im
> writing.
> Yes I've tryed this before.

> [..CUT..]

> > i have is not so much that it dont work (it does) but that it seems
> > limited..

> What is your shell based around? i.e. dos v6/bash? This would help in
> decideing what approach to take for futher improvements.

> >i would really like to see other
> > command interpreters (in pascal).
>  As in system ones or just batch processors?

> >to see what modifications i can make and
> > what features i can add.
> > Im hoping to complete the project within the next 3-6months and upload
it
> as
> > freeware :-) with the
> > source (for free also) availible by request..
> > Any help in any of these departments would be great:

> > 1) Command interpreters

> I was about to mention that I've been working on a lib of pascal
> functions/procedures for string manipulation for the sole purpose of
> designing an assembly/programming language, but I origonally designed them
> for a shell/command like util I was writeing for fun. well any way some of
> the really bad code of mine can be found at

http://www.*-*-*.com/

> (that's not me) MuA-Qh01 and MuA-QH02 programs where mostley designed to
> handel strings for password cracking etc but the rou{*filter*}s can be quite
> easyily made to process allmost any style of syntax (espically my newer
> library for string handeling).

> [..CUT..]

> > 3) FOSSIL comms routines (mine are all based on the X00 documentation,
> they work, but a bit whiney)

> As I remember x00 and bnu (the origonal?) fossil utils where slightley
> incompatable with each other simplely coz x00 had a few bugs that where
> pushed as features by the bbs community .. sorry just a little but of
> history :)
> > 4) Anything pascal :-)

> > The compiler im using is Turbo Pascal 7, with portions being done in
> > FreePascal 32 (non-comms parts, only some external utils that need huge
> > arrays and stuff).

> erk I've abandoned tp7 as it's {*filter*}compared to fpc I also have a
> pIII/celeron so tp7 isen't that great anymore.

> > Anyway, Thanks in anticipation,
> > Adam Mead, Essex, UK

> Anyway I hope that it helps.. and if you want a better version of that lib
> (it's called vvpw.pas btw) then I'll happily give you a copy.

> Have fun

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Free DOS command interpreter & utilities in Pascal

2. Math Interpreter?

3. Coding a script interpreter in pascal

4. Pascal Interpreter in Pascal

5. script interpreter

6. Pascal Interpreter

7. compilers/interpreters

8. Searching for (simple) BASIC interpreter in BP70

9. Writing a script language interpreter...

10. Script interpreter

11. BASIC interpreter in Pascal?

12. Equation Interpreter