Records in a Random Access File???
Author Message
 Records in a Random Access File???

Hi

I've spent the whole summer converting clients over to the Windows
version of my program. I wrote some code which would read all the
Random Access data files and convert them to Tables. Then... when I
think I'm just about out of the woods I find out that one of them is
still using an old scheduling program that I wrote for them years ago.
I didn't think anyone was still using it.

Here's my problem... I don't have the source code... It's been lost
over the years. (to many crashes :-( Now here's my question... Is
there anyway to find out what the data structure of the files might be
so I can convert them for her.

Cheers
Don

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Records in a Random Access File???

Quote:

>Hi

>I've spent the whole summer converting clients over to the Windows
>version of my program. I wrote some code which would read all the
>Random Access data files and convert them to Tables. Then... when I
>think I'm just about out of the woods I find out that one of them is
>still using an old scheduling program that I wrote for them years ago.
>I didn't think anyone was still using it.

>Here's my problem... I don't have the source code... It's been lost
>over the years. (to many crashes :-( Now here's my question... Is
>there anyway to find out what the data structure of the files might be
>so I can convert them for her.

>Cheers
>Don

I suggest assigning the file as an untyped file and BlockRead enough
bytes into an array so you can identify the field delimiters.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Records in a Random Access File???
Don Walsh wrote ...

Quote:

>Hi

>I've spent the whole summer converting clients over to the Windows
>version of my program. I wrote some code which would read all the
>Random Access data files and convert them to Tables. Then... when I
>think I'm just about out of the woods I find out that one of them is
>still using an old scheduling program that I wrote for them years ago.
>I didn't think anyone was still using it.

>Here's my problem... I don't have the source code... It's been lost
>over the years. (to many crashes :-( Now here's my question... Is
>there anyway to find out what the data structure of the files might be
>so I can convert them for her.

Peek the file with some good hex viewing program that can display also
the textual interpretation of the bytes.  You will probably be able to
easily find similar data (description of the event etc.) of separate
records and thus measure the length of the record in bytes.  Then you
have to recognize the separate fields of the record.  For that you have
to know, how Pascal (I suppose you have used Pascal) stores different
kind of data.  Remember that there is one length byte in front of a
string.

-- (A would-be signature delimiter of OE)
Raimo Suonio, Helsinki, Finland
http://www.nic.fi/%7Ersuonio/
Oikeinkirjoitusohjeita news- ja web-kirjoittajille:
http://www.nic.fi/%7Ersuonio/oikeinkirjoitus/

Sun, 04 May 2003 08:13:24 GMT
 Records in a Random Access File???

Thanks for the input,
I slowly but surly digging it out.

Cheers
Don

Sun, 04 May 2003 14:13:35 GMT

1. Accessing Random File in Pascal

2. Random file access for a quiz program

3. Reading QBASIC Random access files

4. Random file access in GNU Pascal

5. Help with editing random access files

6. random access "text" file

7. Random Access File in Turbo Pascal

8. How to write random access file progam

9. Record locking with ADO Express, ADO 2.5 and Access 2000 .mdb files

10. Selecting a random record from a table

11. Delphi with Paradox - generating a random record

12. Random record?