Turbo Pascal compilers
Author Message
 Turbo Pascal compilers

I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run just
right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to compile a
program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would just be
ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of compiler
at?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:50:51 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

>I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run just
>right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to compile a
>program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would just be
>ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
>turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of compiler
>at?

For God's sake write your own delay routine. You can use either BIOS
services or emulate the behavior of TP delay routine (calibrate at
beginning and use loop). For longer delays like a second you could
monitor the clock directly, you could even use gettime:

Function Timer:longint;
var h,m,s,f:word;
Begin
  gettime(h,m,s,f);
  timer:=longint(360000)*h+longint(6000)*m+100*s+f;
End;

Procedure Delay100th(s:word);
var t1,t2:longint;
Begin
  t1:=timer;
  repeat
    t2:=timer;
  until (t2>=t1+s) or (t2<t1) and (t2+8640000>=t1+s);
End;

Note the accuracy is about 5/100 seconds.

The delay bug in TP 5.5 is well documented.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:
> I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run just
> right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to compile a
> program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would just be
> ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
> turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of compiler
> at?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

RTFAQ. You are lucky not getting a Runtime Error 200.
You should patch or recompile your Crt unit; I think you can only patch and
the error will stay.
But I think this is also a FAQ. When you need big delays, you could also try
to use GetTime.

--
Rudolf Polzer
REBOUNCE - http://www.mycgiserver.com/~rebounce

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

>> I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run just
>> right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to compile a
>> program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would just be
>> ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
>> turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of compiler
>> at?

>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Before you buy.

>RTFAQ. You are lucky not getting a Runtime Error 200.

He has TP 5.5 so naturally he gets no error.

Quote:
>You should patch or recompile your Crt unit; I think you can only patch and
>the error will stay.

Are there patches for version 5.5?

Quote:
>But I think this is also a FAQ. When you need big delays, you could also try
>to use GetTime.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

> >> I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run just
> >> right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to compile a
> >> program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would just be
> >> ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
> >> turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of compiler
> >> at?

> >> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> >> Before you buy.

> >RTFAQ. You are lucky not getting a Runtime Error 200.

> He has TP 5.5 so naturally he gets no error.

So the error was introduced in TP 6?
I do have a patch, in a big Anti-RTE 200-patch zip file (dont know where
exactly I got it from, but found it on Ing. Franz Glaser's page). There were
patches for 5.5, 6.0 and 7.0. The error did not occur on my K6-2 350, but I
installed the patch so that the programs work on other PCs. I can use delay
now, it works as inexact as it normally is on a slow PC (because of Windoze,
TSR...). Delay(1000) is ~~ 900 on my PC.

Quote:

> >You should patch or recompile your Crt unit; I think you can only patch
and
> >the error will stay.

> Are there patches for version 5.5?

I downloaded one.

Quote:

--
Rudolf Polzer
REBOUNCE - http://www.mycgiserver.com/~rebounce
I wish I was what I was when I wished I was what I am now.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

>> >RTFAQ. You are lucky not getting a Runtime Error 200.

>> He has TP 5.5 so naturally he gets no error.

>So the error was introduced in TP 6?

In version 7.0. How about _you_ reading the faq.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

> >I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run just
> >right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to compile
> >program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would just
be
> >ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
> >turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of compiler
> >at?

> For God's sake write your own delay routine. You can use either BIOS
> services or emulate the behavior of TP delay routine (calibrate at
> beginning and use loop). For longer delays like a second you could
> monitor the clock directly, you could even use gettime:

> Function Timer:longint;
> var h,m,s,f:word;
> Begin
>   gettime(h,m,s,f);
>   timer:=longint(360000)*h+longint(6000)*m+100*s+f;
> End;

> Procedure Delay100th(s:word);
> var t1,t2:longint;
> Begin
>   t1:=timer;
>   repeat
>     t2:=timer;
>   until (t2>=t1+s) or (t2<t1) and (t2+8640000>=t1+s);
> End;

> Note the accuracy is about 5/100 seconds.

> The delay bug in TP 5.5 is well documented.

> Osmo

Ok.. thanks for that. I'm just a beginner in turbopascal.
So how do I use the Delay100th thing?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

> > >I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run
just
> > >right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to
compile
> > >program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would
just
> be
> > >ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
> > >turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of
compiler
> > >at?

> > For God's sake write your own delay routine. You can use either BIOS
> > services or emulate the behavior of TP delay routine (calibrate at
> > beginning and use loop). For longer delays like a second you could
> > monitor the clock directly, you could even use gettime:

> > Function Timer:longint;
> > var h,m,s,f:word;
> > Begin
> >   gettime(h,m,s,f);
> >   timer:=longint(360000)*h+longint(6000)*m+100*s+f;
> > End;

> > Procedure Delay100th(s:word);
> > var t1,t2:longint;
> > Begin
> >   t1:=timer;
> >   repeat
> >     t2:=timer;
> >   until (t2>=t1+s) or (t2<t1) and (t2+8640000>=t1+s);
> > End;

> > Note the accuracy is about 5/100 seconds.

> > The delay bug in TP 5.5 is well documented.

> > Osmo

> Ok.. thanks for that. I'm just a beginner in turbopascal.
> So how do I use the Delay100th thing?

Never mind, I think i got it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

> >> He has TP 5.5 so naturally he gets no error.

> >So the error was introduced in TP 6?

> In version 7.0. How about _you_ reading the faq.

> Osmo

And why did I encounter it in TP 6 at school on the "new" 266 computers? The
IDE still worked, but programs did crash with an error message (when run
from the IDE, a dialog box "Division by zero", else a RTE 200. Even when I
pressed F7 to single-step).

--
Rudolf Polzer
REBOUNCE - http://www.mycgiserver.com/~rebounce
I wish I was what I was when I wished I was what I am now.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

>And why did I encounter it in TP 6 at school on the "new" 266 computers? The
>IDE still worked, but programs did crash with an error message (when run
>from the IDE, a dialog box "Division by zero", else a RTE 200. Even when I
>pressed F7 to single-step).

Sorry, I do not believe you. I think you were using TP 7.0

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

> >And why did I encounter it in TP 6 at school on the "new" 266 computers?
The
> >IDE still worked, but programs did crash with an error message (when run
> >from the IDE, a dialog box "Division by zero", else a RTE 200. Even when
> >pressed F7 to single-step).

> Sorry, I do not believe you. I think you were using TP 7.0

> Osmo

It didnt have break and continue but our book at school had, is that enough
to say? Also, a game written by me did not work on a friend's computer, and
I had TP 6, too. (even legally! 3 720k disks)

--
Rudolf Polzer
REBOUNCE - http://www.mycgiserver.com/~rebounce
I wish I was what I was when I wished I was what I am now.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Turbo Pascal compilers

Quote:

> I wonder where theres a TurboPascal compiler where programs run just
> right on a fast computer like a 400mhz. Example, If I was to compile a
> program in to an exe file and run it, the delay with 1000 would just be
> ine second instead of running too fast. What's what happend to
> turbopascal 5.5. Does anybody know where to get that kind of compiler
> at?

Get Virtual Pascal 2.1 (Win32, OS/2, Linux). It was formerly commercial.
Now it is free. Check http://www.*-*-*.com/

Best regards,
  The Chief
----------------------
Prof A{*filter*}la Olowofoyeku (The African Chief)

        http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~african_chief/

Tue, 15 Apr 2003 18:21:50 GMT

1. Turbo Pascal compiler

2. Turbo Pascal Compiler

3. TURBO PASCAL COMPILER INFO

4. Turbo Pascal Compiler For Windows98?

5. Where do I get a Turbo Pascal compiler?

6. Turbo Pascal Compiler

7. Turbo Pascal compiler

8. Where can I get a turbo-pascal compiler?

9. Turbo Pascal Compiler

10. Turbo Pascal compiler

11. Serching for a freeware and compatible Turbo Pascal compiler

12. Turbo pascal compiler