more than 640K of memory -- portable solution
Author Message
 more than 640K of memory -- portable solution

Hi all,

I wonder what is the best method to use more, than 640K of memory.
Unfortunately the protected-mode compiled programs aren't run easily
on win9x. I don't know what's the situation with EMS...

Another question: if I need to use static data or what (you know,
what's in the .exe file) of 3-400K, how can I do it? The best would be
if somebody could send a tutorial or an url on how to link to an .exe
just binary data, and how to reach it from Pascal... (I have no
practice with assembly...) :(

Thx:
Circum

/  \    _   _                                           Engard Ferenc

\__/ | |   \_ \_/ I  I                     http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~s-fery

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 more than 640K of memory -- portable solution
Hi Engard,

Quote:

>I wonder what is the best method to use more, than 640K of memory.
>Unfortunately the protected-mode compiled programs aren't run easily
>on win9x. I don't know what's the situation with EMS...

I use XMS only, EMS is not allways supported by MS-DOS machines. I
have a unit that can store my overlayer file in XMS instead of EMS.
Such a program will run on almost any machine.

Quote:
>Another question: if I need to use static data or what (you know,
>what's in the .exe file) of 3-400K, how can I do it? The best would be
>if somebody could send a tutorial or an url on how to link to an .exe
>just binary data, and how to reach it from pascal... (I have no
>practice with assembly...) :(

I don't quite understand this question, what is it that you want to
do? If you only want to store additional data in the EXE file, then I
would suggest to simply append it to the EXE file with another little
program. Write an LONGINT at the end, indicating the original size of
the EXE, so you know where the data starts. You executable will still
work if you do this. With some extra work you can append several files
to your EXE in this way. Isn't DOS great? :-)

Peter de Jong

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. FPC - wasted memory - solution ?

2. Need solution for memory leak problem with dynamic SQL

3. Need more than 640K for local vars!

4. Accessing 640K in DPMI

5. 640k ALL GONE!!

6. 640k ALL GONE!!

7. Above 640K

8. Portable databases

9. Using SQl to be portable to any database

10. delphi/sql apps portable (stringtables)?

11. portable source (from Borland to GPC, FPC...)

12. 12V portable electronic Cooler/warmers