Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)
Author Message
 Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

I am new to the Pascal scene, I previously used Visual Basic and some C++. I
am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
but does it have the ability to receive mail.?
Also
I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But i
couldn't find winsock.dll.

This is a last resort, I have been to the end of the Earth to find some
source. Anyone please help.

P.S
if you need more info don't hesitate to ask me.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

Quote:
> I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++.
> am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
> write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
> Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
> heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
> but does it have the ability to receive mail.?

MAPI is a message exchange layer (it's part of the MS Exchange services).
It's at a higher level than POP3 and SMPT, but it can be used to receive and
send mails (if the MAPI account is set up correctly). However, I don't really
think that this is the solution for you.

Quote:
> Also
> I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
> find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
> 1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
> winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But
> couldn't find winsock.dll.

In Delphi 2.01, 3 and 4 you get some internet components. There are also
several free socket units around together with components  handling SMTP and
POP3. The're all WinSock based,m and I'm sure you have WinSock because the
majority of internet programs (the only excpeion are some special provider
software like old AOL or T-Online software) is based on it.

I wrote a complete commercial mail server using Delphi, however the source is
not available to the public. I may release my fully async-handled socket unit
which handles everything like text buffering and non-blocked sending some
time, but I don't know yet.

--

 Pascal, Delphi & Personal stuff: http://bsn.ch/avonwyss
 Programming Contest Problems Archive: http://bsn.ch/contest

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

[...]

Quote:
> I wrote a complete commercial mail server using Delphi, however the source is
> not available to the public. I may release my fully async-handled socket unit
> which handles everything like text buffering and non-blocked sending some
> time, but I don't know yet.

> --

>  Pascal, Delphi & Personal stuff: http://bsn.ch/avonwyss
>  Programming Contest Problems Archive: http://bsn.ch/contest
>  Webmaster von Roger's Equine Pages: http://bsn.ch/pferde

Would "Please - Pretty Please" help?

Best Regards,

Michael R. Monett

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

Quote:

> [...]

> > I wrote a complete commercial mail server using Delphi, however the
source is
> > not available to the public. I may release my fully async-handled socket
unit
> > which handles everything like text buffering and non-blocked sending some
> > time, but I don't know yet.

> Would "Please - Pretty Please" help?

Maybe. Well the problem is that I've specially programmed it for the mail
server. Thus, there are some special features and tricks that one will not be
able to figure out and take advantage of without knowing how it's intended to
work. There is no documentation for it available at all. That's the reason
why I don't make it available like other of my units and components which
come with demonstration programs and sometimes help files. I do agree to send
copies of the socket unit when asked by email with the restriction that the
code may not be used or modified for commercial purposes and it will come
with no support and documentation or demo program.

I might add that the unit is not built on components but "only" provides
classes. This allows the programmer to use it in console programs (and
others) without including the FORMS unit, however a beginner will likely not
be able to use it at all.

--

 Pascal, Delphi & Personal stuff: http://bsn.ch/avonwyss
 Programming Contest Problems Archive: http://bsn.ch/contest
 Webmaster von Roger's Equine Pages: http://bsn.ch/pferde

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)

Quote:

> I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++. I
> am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
> write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
> Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this.

go to Phoenix Mail:

http://www.highq.com/Jon/phoenix/us_index.html

not just a component - it's the entire application AND source code in
D3.

cheers,

Mat

Dr Mat Ballard,
CSIRO Molecular Science,
Bag 10,
Clayton South MDC,
Vic 3169. AUSTRALIA.
tel: 61-3-9545-2425
fax: 61-3-9545-2415

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)
On Fri, 28 May 1999 11:14:42 +0100, "Bramp666"

Quote:

>I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++. I
>am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
>write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
>Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
>heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
>but does it have the ability to receive mail.?
>Also
>I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
>find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
>1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
>winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But i
>couldn't find winsock.dll.

Since you've used VB, if you don't mind an OCX or want to use a DLL We
have a sample, STMAIL, as part of our commercial SocketTools package
which uses the SMTP control and the POP3 control in a simple mail
client. You can download SocketTools from our website at
http://www.catalyst.com.

David
----

Catalyst Development Corporation          Web:   http://www.catalyst.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Sending and receiving email (SMTP & POP3)
I have used TEmail, it works great for sending but my application
doesn't require receiving.  I expect it works great.  I can't remember
where I got it, but the zip file is 121K and I can email it to you.
Quote:

> On Fri, 28 May 1999 11:14:42 +0100, "Bramp666"

> >I am new to the pascal scene, I previously used visual basic and some C++. I
> >am now trying my hand at Turbo Pascal and Delphi. My current task is to
> >write a program that can send SMTP mail and recieve POP3 mail.
> >Does anyone know of any components that will allow me to do this. I have
> >heard about MAPI would that do? I know that was used for the Mellisa Virus
> >but does it have the ability to receive mail.?
> >Also
> >I have tried looking for this myself at different web sites. The best I can
> >find was a program that used Winsock 1.1. Unfortunately I haven't winsock
> >1.1. When I tried looking for that all I could find were other dll not ther
> >winsock.dll. I must have 10 different version ranging up to version 2. But i
> >couldn't find winsock.dll.

> Since you've used VB, if you don't mind an OCX or want to use a DLL We
> have a sample, STMAIL, as part of our commercial SocketTools package
> which uses the SMTP control and the POP3 control in a simple mail
> client. You can download SocketTools from our website at
> http://www.catalyst.com.

> David
> ----

> Catalyst Development Corporation          Web:   http://www.catalyst.com

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Promiscuous Mode Send & Receive

2. Just uploaded FREEWARE NNTP, SMTP and POP3 component to Super Page

3. sending and receiving FAX?

4. CGI to send email

5. Sending a message to an email address?

6. Sending Email With Delphi???

7. REQ: Sending DATA to email accounts..

8. Send 1 Milllion Emails an Hour

9. Send 1 Milllion Emails an Hour

10. sending email from delphi

11. SMTP & Rich Text

12. Finding a window handle & sending messages