3D rotation with mouse
Author Message
 3D rotation with mouse

hi all !!!

i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN USING
MOUSE.
and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
One good solution is to project the mouse coordinate onto the surface of an
imaginary hemisphere, to recover three dimentions from two.

- Bill

Quote:

>hi all !!!

>i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN USING
>MOUSE.
>and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

>so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
Heheh...maybe Micro$oft can come up with a 3D mouse.  One that you move left/right, up/down,
*and* twist cw/ccw.  Seems like it would be easy enough to monitor the "TWIST" of the little
roller ball too...

Jeff

Quote:

> One good solution is to project the mouse coordinate onto the surface of an
> imaginary hemisphere, to recover three dimentions from two.

> >hi all !!!

> >i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN USING
> >MOUSE.
> >and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

> >so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

Jeff McClain         Product Engineering

voice                     (208) 368-5483
fax                       (208) 368-4495

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse

Quote:

> Heheh...maybe Micro$oft can come up with a 3D mouse.  One that you move left/right, up/down,
> *and* twist cw/ccw.  Seems like it would be easy enough to monitor the "TWIST" of the little
> roller ball too...

> Jeff

They have. Microsoft has a mouse that has a disk between the 2 buttons.
You roll the disk forward and backward to move in the z direction.

--

Software Consultant     http://www.vianova.com
Via Nova                OpenGL, Open Inventor 3D products, Windows 95/NT

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse

Quote:

> hi all !!!

> i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN USING
> MOUSE.
> and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

> so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

It may not be very elegant, but I am familiar with the
way how AutoCAD does it:
They paint 2 concentric circles, where the center point
is the north pole of an imaginary globe, the middle circle
is the equator and the outer circle is the south pole. So
you can move the cursor on every point on the "planet"
surface.

But while you move the mouse in the circle area, they also
paint three vectors to make it visible how the XYZ coordinates
will be painted.

This is a suggestion only, I would do it that way, because
I am familiar with it.

Franz Glaser

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
just set the X angle to the mouses Y coordinate, and the Y angle to
the mouses X coordinate, and it will work just as you want it to.
Quote:

>> hi all !!!

>> i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN USING
>> MOUSE.
>> and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

>> so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse

Quote:

> i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN USING
> MOUSE.
> and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

> so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

        Well the way I do it in my test routines is simply like so... Up and
down represents X-axis rotation.  Left and right is Y-axis rotation.
However, I do left and right movement as Z-axis rotation if the right
mouse button is held down.

- C.P.I. / ASMiNC

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
Nope...I'm talking about monitoring the MOUSE "twist", not another input device...

Quote:

> > Heheh...maybe Micro$oft can come up with a 3D mouse.  One that you move left/right, up/down,
> > *and* twist cw/ccw.  Seems like it would be easy enough to monitor the "TWIST" of the little
> > roller ball too...

> > Jeff

> They have. Microsoft has a mouse that has a disk between the 2 buttons.
> You roll the disk forward and backward to move in the z direction.

Jeff McClain         Product Engineering

voice                     (208) 368-5483
fax                       (208) 368-4495

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
y direction
Quote:

>Nope...I'm talking about monitoring the MOUSE "twist", not another input
device...

>> > Heheh...maybe Micro$oft can come up with a 3D mouse.  One that you move

left/right, up/down,
Quote:
>> > *and* twist cw/ccw.  Seems like it would be easy enough to monitor the

"TWIST" of the little
Quote:
>> > roller ball too...

>> > Jeff

>> They have. Microsoft has a mouse that has a disk between the 2 buttons.
>> You roll the disk forward and backward to move in the z direction.

>--
>Jeff McClain         Product Engineering

>voice                     (208) 368-5483
>fax                       (208) 368-4495

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse

Quote:

>> i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN USING
>> MOUSE.
>> and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

>> so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

> Well the way I do it in my test routines is simply like so... Up and
>down represents X-axis rotation.  Left and right is Y-axis rotation.
>However, I do left and right movement as Z-axis rotation if the right
>mouse button is held down.

Why not use the mouse wheel for Z-axis motion?

Chris

Visit our web site at http://www.skymap.com
Astronomy software written by astronomers, for astronomers

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse

Quote:

>>> i have one little question:i need to rotate 3D OBJECT ON THE SCREEN
USING
>>> MOUSE.
>>> and as u all well know it has only _2_ directions

>>> so,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

>> Well the way I do it in my test routines is simply like so... Up and
>>down represents X-axis rotation.  Left and right is Y-axis rotation.
>>However, I do left and right movement as Z-axis rotation if the right
>>mouse button is held down.

>Why not use the mouse wheel for Z-axis motion?

Neat idea, but

a) not everybody has one, and
b) the granularity is much coarser than the x-y output of the mouse.

If these don't apply in the original poster's situation, it's an elegant
solution.

--
Mike Smith.  No, the other one.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
Hi All !!!

I have one little question:

I need to rotate 3D object on the screen using mouse.

And as u all well know it has only _2_ directions.

So,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
Hi All !!!

I have one little question:

I need to rotate 3D object on the screen using mouse.

And as u all well know it has only _2_ directions.

So,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse
Hi All !!!

I have one little question:

I need to rotate 3D object on the screen using mouse.

And as u all well know it has only _2_ directions.

So,if u know how to make it turn in ALL 3D direction plz e-mail me

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 3D rotation with mouse

Quote:

> Seems like it would be easy enough to monitor the "TWIST" of the little
> roller ball too...

This would only be easy if they had _two_ balls, and that
isn't an application that would be needed at all by most of
the consuming public.

One solution is Logitech's {*filter*}Man, it does 6 DoF quite
nicely, I must say.  Setting it up to play Quake or
BattleZone is a kick, but even these programs don't use all
of the axes.  (XYZ translation and rotation, that is.)

tom!

--

video game/3D Studio geek
Eidetic, Inc.                                      +1 541-383-2410 phone

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

 [ 16 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. 3D rotation with mouse ?

2. Q: 3D rotation with mouse

3. 3d rotation with mouse

4. Q: 3D rotation with mouse

5. 3D Rotation

6. help: 3d rotations

7. I need help!!! 3d Rotation is not working

8. WANTED: tpu's for 3D object rotation.

9. ALL SB AND 3D ROTATION ARTIST LOOK HERE!

10. 3d Rotation, Joystick, Sound

11. rotating 3D object with mouse

12. vector rotation unit needed