The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II
Author Message
 The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II

I just got a new Dell 300 mhz Pentium II and I'm using turbo Pascal 7.0.
Anytime I include the crt unit in a uses clause I immediately get a run time
divide by zero error which crashes my program.  The following 3 line program
causes the problem.

uses crt;
begin
end.

Is anybody else having this problem?  Is there a patch available?  I have
tens of thousands of lines of code that includes the crt unit.

Tim

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II

Quote:

>I just got a new Dell 300 mhz Pentium II and I'm using turbo pascal 7.0.
>Anytime I include the crt unit in a uses clause I immediately get a run time
>divide by zero error which crashes my program.
>Is anybody else having this problem?  Is there a patch available?  I have
>tens of thousands of lines of code that includes the crt unit.

You got to be joking. This issue has been discussed more than any other
subject in this group. Just read some of the past messages.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II

Quote:

> I just got a new Dell 300 mhz Pentium II and I'm using turbo pascal 7.0.
> Anytime I include the crt unit in a uses clause I immediately get a run time
> divide by zero error which crashes my program.  The following 3 line program
> causes the problem.

> uses crt;
> begin
> end.

> Is anybody else having this problem?  Is there a patch available?  I have
> tens of thousands of lines of code that includes the crt unit.

> Tim

Have you checked your Pentium for the floating-point bug ;)...but I
don't think
that's the problem since if it's the case it'll appear only on
nummeric processor operations/calculations.Try to re-install pascal
...or run it from DOS

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II

Quote:

>> I just got a new Dell 300 mhz Pentium II and I'm using turbo pascal 7.0.
>> Anytime I include the crt unit in a uses clause I immediately get a run time
>> divide by zero error which crashes my program.  The following 3 line program
>> causes the problem.

>> uses crt;
>> begin
>> end.

>> Is anybody else having this problem?  Is there a patch available?  I have
>> tens of thousands of lines of code that includes the crt unit.

>> Tim

>Have you checked your Pentium for the floating-point bug ;)...but I
>don't think
>that's the problem since if it's the case it'll appear only on
>nummeric processor operations/calculations.Try to re-install pascal
>...or run it from DOS

Come on. What do you get by giving such bogus advise?  There has been
hundreds of messages about the CRT delay bug in this newsgroup.

If one does not need delay then the following quick and dirty fix should
work:

Var buff:array[1..30000] of byte;

const arr:array[1..10] of byte=($f7,$d0,$f7,$d2,$B9,$37,0,$f7,$f1,$a3);

var ind:longint;
    i,j:integer;
    bytesread:word;
    fp:file;

label out;

begin
  filemode:=2;
  if paramcount<>1 then runerror(255);
  assign(fp,paramstr(1));
  reset(fp,1);
  ind:=0;
  repeat
     seek(fp,ind);
     blockread(fp,buff,sizeof(buff),bytesread);
     for i:=1 to integer(bytesread)-10 do begin
       if buff[i]=arr[1] then begin
          for j:=2 to 10 do if buff[i+j-1]<>arr[j] then goto out;
          arr[8]:=$90;
          arr[9]:=$90;
          Seek(fp,ind+i-1);
          blockwrite(fp,arr,sizeof(arr));
          close(fp);
          Writeln('Patch done');
          halt;
       End;
out:
     end;
     inc(ind,bytesread-10);
  until bytesread<=20;
  writeln('Could not find CRT unit');
  close(fp);
End.

One can use it on EXE's CRT.TPU to turbo.tpl (the two latter are not so
recommended as one loses delay for good).

Do not run the EXE produced by this source though itself. It will become
useless after that.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II

Quote:

>> Anytime I include the crt unit in a uses clause I immediately get a run time

<much snipped>
Quote:

>Have you checked your Pentium for the floating-point bug ;)...but I
>don't think
>that's the problem since if it's the case it'll appear only on
>nummeric processor operations/calculations.Try to re-install pascal
>...or run it from DOS

Peter,

The RTE200 error in CRT has been discussed here every week. It is
*nothing* to do with reinstalling, running from DOS or floating point. I
suggest you read some of the previous postings and Timo Salmi's FAQ.
--

In principle,   is there uncertainty that
Heisenberg was working his best in chaos?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II

20:05:57 in comp.lang.pascal.borland, Tim Schempp

Quote:

>I just got a new Dell 300 mhz Pentium II and I'm using turbo pascal 7.0.
>Anytime I include the crt unit in a uses clause I immediately get a run time
>divide by zero error which crashes my program.  The following 3 line program
>causes the problem.

>uses crt;
>begin
>end.

>Is anybody else having this problem?  Is there a patch available?  I
have
>tens of thousands of lines of code that includes the crt unit.

Pascal Start-Up Error 200 on fast PCs when using the Crt unit is a VFAQ!
Read earlier postings in the comp.lang.pascal.borland (Frank H, Roger D, ...)
and borland.public.turbopascal newsgroups (can use DejaNews), including the
comp.lang.pascal.borland mini-FAQ, and/or see
http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/   clpb-faq.txt   pas-time.htm   pas-linx.htm

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 The CRT Unit and my new 300 mhz Pentium II

Quote:
> I just got a new Dell 300 mhz Pentium II and I'm using turbo pascal 7.0.
> Anytime I include the crt unit in a uses clause I immediately get a run
time
> divide by zero error which crashes my program.

I thought this Pentium-bug whould be fixed by now... :)

--
Bas van Gaalen,

http://www.il.fontys.nl/~bas (homepage)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Pentium II 300 - bug with crt unit

2. Borland Pascal 7 CRT unit on Pentium II

3. Pentium II problem with programs compiled in Turbo Pascal (CRT unit)

4. Pentium II and CRT unit

5. BP7, Win98 and 300-400 Mhz cpu's

6. CRT pentium PRO/II bug work-around

8. CRT and PII-300

9. CRT and PII-300 (one more?) fix

10. Pentium and CRT unit: Problem solved

11. Runtime error 200 in Pentium II 266 & 300

12. New CRT Unit above 450mhz