searching .dat file
Author Message
 searching .dat file

how do i find and edit info in a *.dat file, eg prices.
i need to lookup prices for, say , 8 kg and also be able to change this from
the program written in Pascal, when all the prices are dislplayed and the
relevant one selected.

thanx.

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 12:12:32 GMT
 searching .dat file
Quote:
> how do i find and edit info in a *.dat file, eg prices.
> i need to lookup prices for, say , 8 kg and also be able to change this
from
> the program written in Pascal, when all the prices are dislplayed and the
> relevant one selected.

well, if you simply want to read and write from and to files, I suggest you
read the *many* postings here about blockread and blockwrite, typed and
untyped files, or "writing and reading from and to files". There is a thread
by Darius Blaszijk from 18.03.01.
Hint: If you want to have an extended access to files, you better use "var
f1:text" files.
If these *.dat-files already exist on your computer, written by another
application, and you want to read them, there is a mere problem because you
don't know in which format they are stored. Ungracefully, some applications
even compress... bad thing...
As far as I know, the german Turbo Pascal learning book gives some examples
about databases in Pascal. Maybe, there is a similar chapter in your
handbook.

Sun, 07 Sep 2003 06:03:48 GMT

1. help please in reading .dat files

2. Accessing dbase files with the extension .dat

3. Convert pascal .DAT file to ASCII, DBF

4. How to access Turbo Pascal .dat file from Dbase

5. how can I see *.dat file ?

6. .dat .inx files

7. View from DAT typed file

8. reading from .dat files

9. adding/deleting records from array of records in .dat file

10. Help Converting Pascal's .DAT files

11. What DB program makes DAT, IDX, TBB Files?

12. Accessing dbase files with the extension .dat