VESA LFB & Flat real mode
Author Message
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Hi,

I'm trying to get the VESA LFB to work in turbo Pascal under flat real
mode,
(i used some of the source from UnReal [not the game] modesetter), I can
use other programs in the flat mode, but I can't seem to get the LFB to
work, Because i can't call the PM driver to use function 800h to
Allocate
Physical mapping to the area specified in the VESA calls.

Can anybody help?

Thanx in Advance.
--
Robin Hugh Johnson
"Robbat2"

ICQ#       : 30269588

Home Page  : http://www.*-*-*.com/
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode
Quote:
>I'm trying to get the VESA LFB to work in turbo pascal under flatreal
mode,
>(i used some of the source from UnReal [not the game] modesetter), I

can

You should call DPMI fn. 800h for physical to linear mapping... uh,
now I see, flat REAL mode - this is where CPU is set to PM, limits to
4Gb, then back to RM? It's been a while but I think you should use
offset to one of the existing segments (try offset := LFB physical -
DS physical, then use DS:offset as index 0 into the LFB).

Robert

PS. Wrong NG, if you need more help e-mail me.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode
First:

comp.lang.pascal doesn't exist.
comp.lang.pascal.ansi-iso is not appropriate for your question.
Since you're using TP, comp.lang.pascal.borland will generally
be the right group for your Pascal questions. I've set
crosspost&followup to that group.

Quote:

> Hi,

> I'm trying to get the VESA LFB to work in turbo pascal under flat real
> mode,
> (i used some of the source from UnReal [not the game] modesetter), I can
> use other programs in the flat mode, but I can't seem to get the LFB to
> work, Because i can't call the PM driver to use function 800h to
> Allocate
> Physical mapping to the area specified in the VESA calls.

> Can anybody help?

Switching to "unreal" mode is done by switching to PM, modifying
the segment registers and going back to real mode. So to get
into "UM", you get into PM first. If you use the VESA calls
while being in PM (i.e. before returning to RM), you can get
the LFB into the "unreal" segment, and I guess it will remain
there even after return to RM.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:

>comp.lang.pascal doesn't exist.

Yes it does. For newsgroups to exist in the chain below it, it must
exist.

If it doesn't exist, BTW, why did you leave it in your newsgroups line?!?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:

>>comp.lang.pascal doesn't exist.

>Yes it does. For newsgroups to exist in the chain below it, it must
>exist.

False.  The newsgroup c.l.p used to exist, but was rmgrouped when or
soon after c.l.p.b & siblings were created.  The existence of a
subhierarchy c.l.p.* does not require the existence of newsgroup c.l.p;
in fact, the existence of such a newsgroup is undesirable, being a
potential source of confusion, as you demonstrate.  There may, of
course, be a *directory* of that name on servers.

You should read the regular informative postings, to avoid the semblance
of speaking from the wrong end of your alimentary c{*filter*}- for example,

ka.uwasa.fi>", "Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 06:20:27 +0100 ; Message-ID:

If your ISP believes in the continued existence of c.l.p, it is non-
compliant.

--

  Web <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqn.zip> -- Timo Salmi's Usenet Q&A.
  Web <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;  -  about usage of News.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:

>False.  The newsgroup c.l.p used to exist, but was rmgrouped when or
>soon after c.l.p.b & siblings were created.  The existence of a
>subhierarchy c.l.p.* does not require the existence of newsgroup c.l.p;
>in fact, the existence of such a newsgroup is undesirable, being a
>potential source of confusion, as you demonstrate.  There may, of
>course, be a *directory* of that name on servers.

I'm sorry, but you're the last person on Earth who I'd ever take technical
advice from.

Point me to the RFC that explains this, if you will.

--

Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode
Quote:

> >False.  The newsgroup c.l.p used to exist, but was rmgrouped when or
> >soon after c.l.p.b & siblings were created.  The existence of a
> >subhierarchy c.l.p.* does not require the existence of newsgroup c.l.p;
> >in fact, the existence of such a newsgroup is undesirable, being a
> >potential source of confusion, as you demonstrate.  There may, of
> >course, be a *directory* of that name on servers.

> I'm sorry, but you're the last person on Earth who I'd ever take technical
> advice from.

> Point me to the RFC that explains this, if you will.

You're annoying! Can you post to c.l.p? Can you read
postings sent by others to it?
NO.
Perhaps try thinking of it as a file system:
Newsgroups are "files" which you can read from and write to.
And then comp.lang.pascal are just three SUB-DIRECTORIES, where
you cannot write to or read from!

Or try just subscribing to comp.lang.pascal

Martin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:

>>False.  The newsgroup c.l.p used to exist, but was rmgrouped when or
>>soon after c.l.p.b & siblings were created.

<snip agreed content>
Quote:

>I'm sorry, but you're the last person on Earth who I'd ever take technical
>advice from.

I think you should take note of the fact that Dr John was absolutely
correct.

In posted your view that there should be a c.l.p group, then there
should, in this hierarchy therefore be a newsgroup 'comp' plus
'comp.lang' as well which would be meaningless as the topics would be
too broad. Think of it as subdirectories of useful information.

Quote:
>Point me to the RFC that explains this, if you will.

Ask in news.admin.hierarchies who will provide all the technical info
you seem in dire need of requiring.

c.l.p. *has* been rmgrouped. If your ISP and other clueless ISPs still
carry it then they are broken. Simple fact.

--
Pedt

Most mushrooms are umbrella shaped as they grow in damp places

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:
>You're annoying! Can you post to c.l.p?

Yep.

Quote:
>Can you read postings sent by others to it?

Yep.

Quote:
>Newsgroups are "files" which you can read from and write to.

Well, that's going on my wall as the #1 analogy not to use.

Quote:
>And then comp.lang.pascal are just three SUB-DIRECTORIES, where
>you cannot write to or read from!

Do you even know what you're talking about? It doesn't sound to me like
you understand very many of the fundamentals of Internet technology.

Quote:
>Or try just subscribing to comp.lang.pascal

Done. Read all messages in it. I beleive it's had more activity than
this group. And no pompous {*filter*}s. Fascinating.

I think I'll start posting there from now on. Thanks for suggesting that
I subscribe to it!

--

= Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath)
= Web: http://www.*-*-*.com/ : 3484915

... If at first you don't succeed, read the documentation.
-!- GOPGP/2 v1.23

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

: c.l.p. *has* been rmgrouped. If your ISP and other clueless ISPs still
: carry it then they are broken. Simple fact.

but Mediaone and Deja.com still carry it.  and how can a site that
loads 30k of adverti{*filter*}ts for every 1k posting be clueless?
their bloated web interface will crush you like a bug!

---
-Assassin, misc.test moderation panel

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:

>: c.l.p. *has* been rmgrouped. If your ISP and other clueless ISPs still
>: carry it then they are broken. Simple fact.

>but Mediaone and Deja.com still carry it.

I think all the deja articles are x-posts from a live group. If not,
then there is a sufficient chain of news peers who have not deleted clp
for some posts to appear in the archive.

Quote:
> and how can a site that
>loads 30k of adverti{*filter*}ts for every 1k posting be clueless?

<grin>

--
Pedt

Most mushrooms are umbrella shaped as they grow in damp places

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:

> c.l.p. *has* been rmgrouped. If your ISP and other clueless ISPs still
> carry it then they are broken. Simple fact.

All the ISPs I have ever used have carried comp.lang.pascal, including

in South Africa, my ISPs there carried the group.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
"Robbat2"

ICQ#       : 30269588 or 41961639

Home Page  : http://robbat2.cjb.net
Time Zone  : Pacific Daylight (GMT - 8)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

Quote:

>: c.l.p. *has* been rmgrouped. If your ISP and other clueless ISPs still
>: carry it then they are broken. Simple fact.

>but Mediaone and Deja.com still carry it.  and how can a site that
>loads 30k of adverti{*filter*}ts for every 1k posting be clueless?
>their bloated web interface will crush you like a bug!

Indeed, most sites seemingly carrying it are what is in this context
technically known as broken, like the Honsburger ear-separator.  Some
sites do ignore rmgroups; some even create groups just because they
appear in a newsgroups line.

I don't know Mediaone; but there is a plausible case for Deja, as a full
archive service, to record and serve under classifications which should
not currently exist.

A compliant news system will allow posts, or perhaps just cross-posts,
to groups that it does not carry; as far as it can know, they may be
local-to-elsewhere, and there may be good reason to allow the post.  A
good one will warn the user of this.

--

  Web <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqn.zip> -- Timo Salmi's Usenet Q&A.
  Web <URL: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;  -  about usage of News.
  No Encoding. Quote before replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Don't Mail News.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode

comp.lang.pascal.borland:

Quote:
>like the Honsburger ear-separator.

Just out of curiosity - what do you have a doctorate in?

--

= Stewart Honsberger (AKA Blackdeath)
= Web: http://www.*-*-*.com/ : 3484915
= Remove 'thir{*filter*}' to reply privately

... To restart Windows, click on Program Manager with a 20 Oz hammer...
-!- GOPGP/2 v1.23

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VESA LFB & Flat real mode
Quote:

> >You're annoying! Can you post to c.l.p?

> Yep.

Have you tested where your postings to c.l.p appear? Perhaps it's
your newsreader, which crosspost then automatically to sub-groups?

Quote:
> >Can you read postings sent by others to it?

> Yep.

And what postings do you find there? All postings which are
to be find in the sub groups? E.g. are there delphi postings
and so on? Or is an own group, which almost nobody knows, but
has more activity... ?

Quote:
> Do you even know what you're talking about? It doesn't sound to me like
> you understand very many of the fundamentals of Internet technology.

I do know what I'm talking about, I was believing you do to, but this
doesn't seem to be right...
Explain, why you can post to the group and so many others
can't!

Quote:
> >Or try just subscribing to comp.lang.pascal

> Done. Read all messages in it. I beleive it's had more activity than
> this group. And no pompous {*filter*}s. Fascinating.

Except one, if you're posting to it...

Quote:
> I think I'll start posting there from now on. Thanks for suggesting that
> I subscribe to it!

I _CANNOT_ subscribe it! If I mark the entry with my Netscape,
the Subscribe-Button disappears...

Martin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Vesa unit for all 256 and 65K color modes (protected,real mode)

2. High Flat VESA RAM in Protected Mode?

3. real flat mode????

4. Flat Real Mode

5. Real Mode Flat memory of 4 GIG????

6. VESA under DPMI...Please no Real Mode Stuff

7. VESA - LFB...

8. FLAT mode from Virtual mode

9. tspa357c.zip Turbo Pascal 7.0 real mode units for (real:-) programmers

10. tspa3570.zip Turbo Pascal 7.0 real mode units for (real:-) programmers

11. tspa3570.zip Turbo Pascal 7.0 real mode units for (real:-) programmers

12. Protected mode VS Real mode ???