Windows 95/98 Version Information
Author Message
 Windows 95/98 Version Information

Hello All,

        I am trying to identify the windows version number from within
a TP7 app.   I am using assembly, and checking for the windows version
(2Fh 1600h) and if it reports the major version as 4, it's either Win95/98.
 This
is where the problem arises.  The best guess I can come up with is then to
check the dos version (21h 3306h), and if dos reports 7.0 it's Win95, but
if it reports 7.1 it's either Win95b (OSR2) or Win98.  I know if I could
somehow
get the windows build number, I could tell the difference, but I have
searched
Ralf Brown's init list to no avail.  And I have looked all over MS's site
and
found nothing as well.

Can anyone give some insite into this problem?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Windows 95/98 Version Information
Check the minor version number as well as the major. Windows 95 is 4.0,
Windows 98 is 4.1.

I haven't yet found out how to tell Win95 from Win95b. If the DOS version
has changed like you say then that would do it.
--
Tim Borman

please reply to this newsgroup

>Hello All,

> I am trying to identify the windows version number from within
>a TP7 app.   I am using assembly, and checking for the windows version
>(2Fh 1600h) and if it reports the major version as 4, it's either Win95/98.
> This
>is where the problem arises.  The best guess I can come up with is then to
>check the dos version (21h 3306h), and if dos reports 7.0 it's Win95, but
>if it reports 7.1 it's either Win95b (OSR2) or Win98.  I know if I could
>somehow
>get the windows build number, I could tell the difference, but I have
>searched
>Ralf Brown's init list to no avail.  And I have looked all over MS's site
>and
>found nothing as well.

>Can anyone give some insite into this problem?  Ideas?  Suggestions?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Migrating from Windows 95 to Windows 98

2. TP6 - Windows 3.x,95,98

3. BP7 + Protected mode apps + Windows 95/98 = slowdown

4. Programmically installing TCP/IP under windows 95/98

5. Windows '95/'98 Shutdown

6. compiler for windows 95 or 98

7. Missing PRNFLTR for Turbo Pascal 7.0 on Windows 95/98

8. Windows 95-98 Source Code

9. Windows 95/98 Version Checking. . .

10. User32.dll Error on 95 Not on 98 or NT

11. Help: MS-DOS Screen Capture (in Full-Screen Mode) Under Win 95/98/NT

12. Index errors when using NT-server and 95/98 workstations