which pascal for an absolute beginner ?
Author Message
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?

I need a Pascal compiler for my son, to learn. A beginner.

Just to make programas able to and two numbers, and things like that.

I left pascal 15 years ago, so I do no know much about pos-1986 pascal compilers.

And I need to chose one. I realise that turbo pascal 1.0, 3.02, 5.5, 7, is now free at www.borland.com.

Is turbo pascal a good choise? I like the borland compilers, BUT will it work under win95/98/2000 ???

Only SIMPLE things, NO need of client/server,  SQL,  DDL, interrupts, objects, data bases.

Does NOT need to work in win, DOS box is OK.

BUT I need it to be able to be used in a win95/win98/win2000 environement (win *OR* DOS box).

Any sugestion or tip???
--

ICQ # 14440939

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?
Just go for Borland Turbo Pascal !

I have 7.5, they still start programming lessons with this language at schools in the area.
It is easy to start and has everything you need as a beginner. Works under all windows
versions but in a dos-box.
I'm still using it because I'm to busy to start learning C.

Good luck and have fun !

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?

Quote:
> Just go for Borland Turbo Pascal !

> I have 7.5, they still start programming lessons with this language at schools in the area.
> It is easy to start and has everything you need as a beginner. Works under all windows
> versions but in a dos-box.
> I'm still using it because I'm to busy to start learning C.

   Interesting...you have something which doesn't exist in the TP world.
Is it 7.0 or 5.5?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?

Quote:
> They'll work in a Win95/98 DOS box, or you can probably boot to DOS from
> a floppy while using Pascal on the hard disc.  I don't know about
> Win2000 myself.

Versions 3 and 7 (real mode) work fine in a command prompt under
Windows 2000 Professional, no reason to think the others wouldn't
too.  As others have pointed out, be sure to get a CRT unit
replacement to fix the Run Time Error 200 in version 7.0.

--
Regards,

David Ragle
-----------
Product Development
DRB Systems, Inc.

Remove the obvious to reply via email

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?

Quote:
>I need a pascal compiler for my son, to learn. A beginner.

>Just to make programas able to and two numbers, and things like that.

>I left pascal 15 years ago, so I do no know much about pos-1986 pascal
>compilers.

>And I need to chose one. I realise that turbo pascal 1.0, 3.02, 5.5, 7,
>is now free at www.borland.com.

Turbo 5.5 was (is) a fine compiler...IIRC, it came with a very
nice Introduction to Objects manual (too bad that's not available
as part of the download package)

I think 7.0 is only free in the French version.

Quote:

>Is turbo pascal a good choise? I like the borland compilers, BUT will it
>work under win95/98/2000 ???

AFAIK yes, but you may need to apply a patch (or replacement??)
to the CRT unit if you have a fast CPU.

there are several other free pascal compilers available; e.g.
Free Pascal (http://www.freepascal.org), which apparently has
an integrated development environment for the Win32 platform
(never used their IDE, so I don't know how it compares to
Borland's)

more links to Pascal compilers, free and otherwise, can be found
in the links section at the URL below...

--

Mark Vaughan
____________

Visit the Numerical Methods in Pascal web page at
http://www-rab.larc.nasa.gov/nmp/fNMPhome.htm

Tue, 13 May 2003 08:58:32 GMT
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?
Yes you're absolutely right !

It's version 7... I'm currently looking for Borland Turbo C 4.5 so that's probably why I
typed a faulty version number...

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?

Quote:

> >Is turbo pascal a good choise? I like the borland compilers, BUT will it
> >work under win95/98/2000 ???

> AFAIK yes, but you may need to apply a patch (or replacement??)
> to the CRT unit if you have a fast CPU.

> there are several other free pascal compilers available; e.g.
> Free Pascal (http://www.freepascal.org), which apparently has
> an integrated development environment for the Win32 platform
> (never used their IDE, so I don't know how it compares to
> Borland's)

More features (in all places, so IDE itself, options, debugging), but
same look and feel idea (also based on TV), but needs some polishing,
stabilising and bugfixing. It is usable though, and since a month of two
it is improving fast.

The only problem ARE those TV based sources, which make
source-distribution
of the IDE impossible, since they aren't free, and diffs contain to much
of the copyrighted parts to be legal :-)
Otherwise you could do nice things like debugging the IDE with the IDE
while it compiles the IDE (this works, only it requires quite a lot of
memory)

There are TV subsitutes, but they haven't been adapted yet to work with
the IDE.

On the otherhand, the stabilising is only possible if people use it, and
send in those bug-reports!!!!

--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 which pascal for an absolute beginner ?

I recommend TP 5.5. TP 7 is only free in French and has the RTE200 bug which
TP5.5 does not have. You will have to learn some key bindings, however.

I think TP is the bestchoce for you because of the incredile built-in
de{*filter*} (much better than FPCs GDB de{*filter*}) and it is easier to install
(just copy the DISK1, DISK2 and DISK3 directories into one and run install)
and has a god online help).

If you were French, I would recommend TP7 which has easier key bindings, but
the free version has a French online help and you will have to patch it.

All TP versions are Win2k and WinME and Linux/DOSEMU and OS/2 compatible (I
tested all!)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. an absolute beginner : HEX question

2. An absolute beginners question

3. An absolute beginners question

4. Free Pascal and absolute memory

5. the beginner teaching pascal

6. beginner in pascal

7. I'm a beginner of Pascal

8. Beginner′s questions about Turbo Pascal

9. Turbo Pascal beginner needs help !

10. Complete beginner looking for help with Turbo Pascal

11. Turbo Pascal beginner needs help !

12. Beginner Help With Pascal Graphics