Pentium vs Pentium Pro code
Author Message
 Pentium vs Pentium Pro code

Why should a Borland Pascal (v. 7.01) executable compiled on a Pentium
PRO be different from one compiled on a non-PRO (standard Pentium or 486)
system?

What happened is this:  I was preparing for a release of a software
product, which had modifications which had been done by another
department member (who uses a 200MHz Pentium PRO system).  As a
verification, I copied the archived source build directories onto my
computer, rebuilt, and compared the .EXE file from my build with what was
on the distribution.  What I found were a couple of dozen bytes (out of
an 850K .EXE file) that differed -- most showed a byte of BC (from the
PRO version) versus a BD (non-PRO version).

In the process of trying to verify the difference, we installed BP and
the product sources on a third (non-PRO) computer, and got byte-for-byte
identical comparison (to the non-PRO version).  I then installed on a
different PRO (200MHz) computer, and got exact comparison to the previous
PRO version.

Does anybody have an explanation for this?  I want to be careful that we
don't release a product that might be "corrupt" due to being prepared on
the "wrong" system.  (To be safe, I am currently releasing versions that
are built on non-PRO systems.)

(I am aware of the run-time "delay" problem on 200MHz systems, which is
an unrelated issue.)

Mark Lovik
MTI SED

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Pentium Pro II/266

2. CRT pentium PRO/II bug work-around

3. Error 200 with Pentium Pro?

4. Strange BP7.0 behavior with Win95, Pentium Pro

5. RTM.EXE, on Pentium Pro 200Mhz??

6. Pentium Pro won't run protected mode programs

7. Pentium Pro 200 Problem

8. Pentium Pro problems

9. Pentium pro and BP 7

10. TP7 vs. Pentium 2

11. Pentium II Celeron will not run code

12. Need: Pentium code