Text mode vs graphics mode conflict (Help!)
Author Message
 Text mode vs graphics mode conflict (Help!)

A potential client has asked me if I could develop a program for
him to do some linguistic calculations and plot the results onto
various styles of charts and graphs.  (I am using TP 7.0 for DOS
to do this.)  The mathematics and plotting involved are not
complicated and were the texts I am expected to manipulate in
English or French, I could proceed with little problem.

The problem is that the texts are in Old and Middle English, Old
Norse, Icelandic and other members of that family of languages
plus some IPA.  I have been able to duplicate most of the texts
using multilingual code page 850 but when I try to plot the texts
to graphs, I run smack against the classic text mode vs graphics
mode conflict.  As expected, the default graphics mode compatible
character set is totally useless for this task as well as are any
stroked character set files I have been able to locate thus far.
At the moment, I don't have the time, (or the artistic skill), to
create stroked fonts from scratch for this project.

I have the 16 x 8 and the 8 x 8 bit-maps for all the characters I
require.  For this project, I do not need anything more
sophisticated that these.  The question is:  Is it possible to
overwrite the existing graphics compatible bit-mapped character
set with a character set containing the special characters I
require so text and graphics can co-exist?  If so, how?  If not,
what are some alterantives?

Thank you all for your time and trouble.  A belated Merry
Christmas and best wishes for a Happy New Year to you all.

David Solly
--

Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
Voice: (613) 731-2120

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Text mode vs graphics mode conflict (Help!)

Quote:

> A potential client has asked me if I could develop a program for
> him to do some linguistic calculations and plot the results onto
> various styles of charts and graphs.  (I am using TP 7.0 for DOS
> to do this.)  The mathematics and plotting involved are not
> complicated and were the texts I am expected to manipulate in
> English or French, I could proceed with little problem.

> The problem is that the texts are in Old and Middle English, Old
> Norse, Icelandic and other members of that family of languages
> plus some IPA.  I have been able to duplicate most of the texts
> using multilingual code page 850 but when I try to plot the texts
> to graphs, I run smack against the classic text mode vs graphics
> mode conflict.  As expected, the default graphics mode compatible
> character set is totally useless for this task as well as are any
> stroked character set files I have been able to locate thus far.
> At the moment, I don't have the time, (or the artistic skill), to
> create stroked fonts from scratch for this project.

> I have the 16 x 8 and the 8 x 8 bit-maps for all the characters I
> require.  For this project, I do not need anything more
> sophisticated that these.  The question is:  Is it possible to
> overwrite the existing graphics compatible bit-mapped character
> set with a character set containing the special characters I
> require so text and graphics can co-exist?  If so, how?  If not,
> what are some alterantives?

> Thank you all for your time and trouble.  A belated Merry
> Christmas and best wishes for a Happy New Year to you all.

> David Solly
> --

> Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA
> Voice: (613) 731-2120

Yes, it should be possible. There is a program FontManager I believe
it's called, which, as far as I know allows you to do this. It even lets
you use self-defined fonts in text-mode. If you like I can dig it up for
you. You can also send me the bitmaps and I'll (try to) make them into a
font-unit (TP7) for you.

Bye and happy NY.

Remco de Korte
Soft Machine
Nederland
http://www.xs4all.nl/~remcodek
http://www.dragonfire.net/~SoftMachine

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Text mode - graphics mode conflict (Help!)

2. Please help with graphics in text mode!

3. Bios text in graphics mode. Help please

4. I need help with graphics and text mode!!

5. Please help with graphics in text mode!

6. Protected mode VS Real mode ???

7. Protected mode vs. Real mode

8. Problem with GotoXY in EGA/VGA text mode (43/50 line mode)

9. Text in graphics mode

10. Graphics in text mode

11. Text Mode Graphics

12. time delay switching from text to graphics mode