Modem programming, *help*
Author Message
 Modem programming, *help*

Greetings all,

I am desperate! I need to make a simple program that can hang-up the modem. So far I
can initialize the comm-port, lower DTR and send an ATH0, and that works fine when
running in ms-dos, BUT: when running in a windows dos-box it hangs..
As far as I can see, it is because I read whatever comes from the modem, but when
there is nothing to read, and you read it anyway, it hangs..(but only in a windows
dos box)

My question: how can you tell when the modem has some data that you have not read yet?
and how can you see if that data is a response to a control code?

All suggestions are appreciated very much!

thanks,

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Modem programming, *help*
Hello Tobias!

 TS> I am desperate! I need to make a simple program that can hang-up the
 TS> modem. So far I can initialize the comm-port, lower DTR and send an ATH0,
 TS> and that works fine when running in ms-dos, BUT: when running in a windows
 TS> dos-box it hangs.. As far as I can see, it is because I read whatever
 TS> comes from the modem, but when there is nothing to read, and you read it
 TS> anyway, it hangs..(but only in a windows dos box)

 TS> My question: how can you tell when the modem has some data that you have
 TS> not read yet? and how can you see if that data is a response to a control
 TS> code?

 TS> All suggestions are appreciated very much!

 TS> thanks,

Use a library to communicate with the comm ports, I use ASYNC1 an archive that
works quite well with an RS232 microcomputer thrugh my COMport. The ASYNC1
archive should be available in many places, the source is assembler wrapped in
into a Pascal UNIT, source written in 1989. It uses interrupt handling, and you
can use a function to ask if any data is pending a read or if in fact no data
is yet pending. It even allows for user-size-defined Queue of data to be
written or READ from the comport, support com1-4, but the .doc says it can be
twisted into supporting just about any comport (not those that share
interrupts). You can also alter the adress of the comport if your physical
setup is non-standard.

If I can figure out how to use the UNIT; everybody can ;)

I have not tested it under Windows; I do not have to use Windows, so I don't.

 TS>  + Origin: AKP (2:236/501.1)

Regards Mikkel Breiler Cosysop Renoz BBS, Vinyl/Intuition

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Modem programming, *help*

:
: If I can figure out how to use the UNIT; everybody can ;)
:
: I have not tested it under Windows; I do not have to use Windows, so I don't.
:
:  TS>  + Origin: AKP (2:236/501.1)
:
: Regards Mikkel Breiler Cosysop Renoz BBS, Vinyl/Intuition

:
:

Any idea where I can find this miraculous unit?

-- Michael

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Modem programming, *help*
Hi Michael,

There's a modem unit available from the Turbo Pascal Programmers Page which is
at:

http://www.cs.vn.nl/~jprins/tp.html

Hope this helps

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales, official nice person.

Glasgow University      voice : 0141-776 5789
HTML Association        snail : 97 Iona Way, Kirkintilloch,
(WebSoc).                       Glasgow, G66 3PU.
So there.               URL   : http://www.gla.ac.uk/Clubs/WebSoc/~9402198d/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Modem Program - help!

2. Help wanted : Modem Programming

3. Null-modem program in Turbo Pascal

4. making a program that will interface with the modem

5. How to program modem?

6. How to program a MODEM

7. How to program a MODEM

8. Programming a modem in BP7

9. Programming internal modem.

10. Anyone have Modem Units and Programs?

11. Modem/BBS programming

12. modem control by TP 7.0 program