is thera a decompiler for pascal?
Author Message
 is thera a decompiler for pascal?

I'm kinda curious, is there such a thing as a decompiler for Pascal that
can retranslate an exe from pascal back into pascal?
thanks

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 is thera a decompiler for pascal?
Anthony Peters schrieb:

Quote:
> I'm kinda curious, is there such a thing as a decompiler for pascal that
> can retranslate an exe from pascal back into pascal?
> thanks

A reliable decompiler does not exist. I have seen one for Basic which worked
pretty well, but the code could anyway not be recompiled without producing
errors. Pascal is, in my opinion, a little more complex than Basic, making
the task of writing a good decompiler harder.

Using Turbo De{*filter*} or Turbo Profiler, you should have a look at the
assembly code the Pascal compiler produces. It is often very intricate.
Loops like For, Repeat or While can not easily be re-translated from
assembly. The same applies to If or Case statements. These structures
consist of numerous jumps.

Moreover, the decompiler does not know the original variable or sub-program
names. Of course, it would not be a problem to name them "Variable1,
Variable2", and so on... but it's cumbersome.
Finally: data structures like arrays and records. How would the decompiler
know whether a memory location was a simple variable or part of a data
structure?

For example: How would the decompiler know that what he considers to be

a, b : integer;

was in fact

blabla : array[1..2] of integer;

There are still people alleging they have written an accomplished
decompiler. I cannot believe that. But I am prepared to change my opinion if
somebody out proves that he is capable of decompiling a Pascal program.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 is thera a decompiler for pascal?
Actually there is and I've seen it in action it managed almost flawlessly to
re-translate my .tpu back to pascal source and only failed on a few lines.
Unfortuntly the person who had it lost the thing and is busy try to track it
down again.  But if anyone else can find one then pleeease let us know.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 is thera a decompiler for pascal?
In comp.lang.pascal.borland, Laverick uttered:

Quote:
>Actually there is and I've seen it in action it managed almost flawlessly to
>re-translate my .tpu back to pascal source and only failed on a few lines.

Rubbish. You cannot get Pascal Source bak from decompiling a .TPU file.
Assember ? yes that is possible to a reasonable degree.

Quote:
>Unfortuntly the person who had it lost the thing and is busy try to track it
>down again.

Now why does that not surprise me.

--
Pedt Scragg

No-one is completely useless, they can always be a bad example.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 is thera a decompiler for pascal?
:Actually there is and I've seen it in action it managed almost flawlessly to
:re-translate my .tpu back to pascal source and only failed on a few lines.
:Unfortuntly the person who had it lost the thing and is busy try to track it
:down again.  But if anyone else can find one then pleeease let us know.

Just as has happened each and every time such a decompiler has been
claimed in this newsgroup.

   All the best, Timo

Moderating at ftp:// & http://garbo.uwasa.fi/ archives 193.166.120.5

Spam foiling in effect.  My email filter autoresponder will return a
required email password to users not yet in the privileges database.
Advice on spam foiling at http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/info/spamfoil.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 is thera a decompiler for pascal?
If you use the De{*filter*}, you can examine short-ish bits of decompiled
code. This is certainly enough to grasp how portions of your Pascal
code is compiled into Assembly Language.

>> I'm kinda curious, is there such a thing as a decompiler for pascal that
>> can retranslate an exe from pascal back into pascal?

>No.

(Surrey, UK. http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~glover/ )
(Please change "xx" to "uk" to reply/access web site)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. pascal decompiler

2. Turbo Pascal Decompiler

3. decompiler for turbo pascal

4. Pascal Decompiler

5. Pascal Decompiler

6. Pascal decompiler

7. Pascal Decompiler

8. pascal decompiler

9. Pascal Decompiler?

10. I am looking for DOS based PASCAL

11. I Am Interested in Pascal for Windows

12. Help,I am new for pascal.