Borland Pascal 8 available - almost
Author Message
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost

: >Borland does have a much better Pascal compiler in delphi
: >but it is only available for Windows (and now also Win-95).
: DELPHI 32bit can compile programs for DOS!

Borland tells that this is not the case.
Such programs will run only in the console mode of Delphi.

: >They have developed pascal compilers for DOS and OS/2
: >that are almost 100% compatible with the Borland Pascal language
: >but without the silly restrictions: no 64 kB limit, no 640 kB limit!
: There is no 640Kb limit in DPMI mode.

Yes, Borland Pascal in protected mode has no 640k limit,
but it still has the 64k limit. Isn't this ridiculous ?

: driver. By the way, there is no 64Kb limit in DELPHI 32bit as it is a 32 bit
: compiler.

True, but it's not available for DOS.

However you are right that FPK is not (yet?)
fully compatible. Meanwhile I also found several incompatibilities.
There is currently work being done to improve
this.

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost

Quote:

> : >Borland does have a much better Pascal compiler in Delphi
> : >but it is only available for Windows (and now also Win-95).
> : DELPHI 32bit can compile programs for DOS!

> Borland tells that this is not the case.
> Such programs will run only in the console mode of Delphi.

Apparently (at least with Delphi 1) it was possible to compile DOS programs.
It needed serious hacking at the RTL to get it to work, though.

.splitbung
--
* TQ 1.0 * The 'Just So Quotes'.
 I love Kubrick's movies, but I never could get anywhere with his Cube.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost

Quote:
> H|!

> >Borland does have a much better Pascal compiler in Delphi
> >but it is only available for Windows (and now also Win-95).
> DELPHI 32bit can compile programs for DOS!

> >Most people requested a true 32 bit compiler with
> >text mode IDE, included de{*filter*} and BGI graph support.
> DELPHI 32bit is a true 32 bit compiler, but there are no units for it
> (Ofcourse there is SYSTEM.DCU).

> >They have developed pascal compilers for DOS and OS/2
> >that are almost 100% compatible with the Borland Pascal language
> >but without the silly restrictions: no 64 kB limit, no 640 kB limit!
> There is no 640Kb limit in DPMI mode. Anf FPK pascal is using its own DPMI
> driver. By the way, there is no 64Kb limit in DELPHI 32bit as it is a 32 bit
> compiler.

> >One of them might even soon be ported to Linux.
> As far as I know FPK pascal is already ported to Linux(beta version).

> >FPK-Pascal for DOS is available free of charge, comes with
> >full source (pascal of course), has several enhancements
> I like that(source) about it.

> >from C++ and will likely soon be ported to Linux too!
> >The language is fully Borland Pascal compatible including
> But when I tried it, my program needed some structure rebuilding to be
> compiled by FPK-pascal.

What is this? A new free pascal compiler? Please, I'm begging, if you can
tell me where I can get this FPK-Pascal I would be very grateful. I already
have Turbo Pascal 7 but I really want to look at this new one.

Please let me know where I can download the whole thing if possible.

Cheers :)

--
Peter Cooper

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost
: > >FPK-Pascal for DOS is available free of charge, comes with
: > >full source (pascal of course), has several enhancements

: What is this? A new free pascal compiler? Please, I'm begging, if you can
: tell me where I can get this FPK-Pascal I would be very grateful.

FPK-Pascal is available on http://home.pages.de/~FPK-Pascal
or http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/fpk-pas

These Web pages contain more information and pointers
to two ftp servers. These two ftp servers are:
Europe: ftp.uni-freiburg.de:/pub/pc/msdos/fpk-pascal
U.S.:   webworldinc.com:/fpk-pas

The US mirror is not yet fully up to date.
But the main file that you need, fpkpas62.zip,
is available there too. It's about one megabyte.

Be sure to download also the intro and the readme files.
Better yet have a look at the Web server. It offers some
more information than just intro and readme.

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost

Quote:
>: >They have developed pascal compilers for DOS and OS/2
>: >that are almost 100% compatible with the Borland Pascal language
>: >but without the silly restrictions: no 64 kB limit, no 640 kB limit!
>: There is no 640Kb limit in DPMI mode.

>Yes, Borland Pascal in protected mode has no 640k limit,
>but it still has the 64k limit. Isn't this ridiculous ?

Blame Intel for that {*filter*}. 16 bit protected mode is one of the most
ridiculous monsters that was ever fostered on the programming community.

Quote:
>However you are right that FPK is not (yet?)
>fully compatible. Meanwhile I also found several incompatibilities.
>There is currently work being done to improve
>this.

Is there any way to get some english documentation or at least an english list
of incompatibities?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost
Quote:

>Is there any way to get some english documentation or at least an english list
>of incompatibities?

The english documentation is in progress.

The problem of a list of incompatibilies is, that the compiler is in
development
and such a list must be updated if any work is done, and this will take some
time, but a list of the major incompatibilities will be available in future.
May be followup the mailing list.

Florian

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost
I downloaded fpkins62.zip and fpkpas62.zip this morning
from the US site, and followed the English instructions.
But I could not compile and run the demos. I did,
as instructed:

ppc386 -a hello
go32 hello

go32 complained that it did not find file <hello>.
So I had a look in the directory and found a
new file hello.s

So:

go32 hello.s

Alas I got this message:

unknown file type 0x92a (04412)

Sure enough, when I had a look at hello.s it turned
out to be in assembler. There is very obviously
something missing in the instructions. I guess one
has to assemble then link, but the instructions
say nothing of the kind (and I don't read German!)

Most frustrated.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost

Quote:
>What is this? A new free pascal compiler? Please, I'm begging, if you can
>tell me where I can get this FPK-Pascal I would be very grateful. I already
>have Turbo Pascal 7 but I really want to look at this new one.

>Please let me know where I can download the whole thing if possible.

>Cheers :)

http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pascal/fpk-pas
ftp://mailserv.brain.uni-freiburg.de/gig2/pub/dos/fpk-pas

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost
: >A new free pascal compiler? Please, I'm begging, if you can
: >tell me where I can get this FPK-Pascal I would be very grateful.

: http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/pascal/fpk-pas
: ftp://mailserv.brain.uni-freiburg.de/gig2/pub/dos/fpk-pas

Please don't use this ftp server any more, it's overloaded!
The official (and faster) FPK sources are:

   http://home.pages.de/~FPK-Pascal/
   http://www.brain.uni-freiburg.de/~klaus/fpk-pas/

   ftp://ftp.uni-freiburg.de/pub/pc/msdos/fpk-pascal  (Europe)
   ftp://webworldinc.com/fpk-pas                      (USA)

If you have WEB access, please use the WEB page
because it's updated more frequently and contains
additional informations.

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Borland Pascal 8 available - almost
: ppc386 -a hello
: go32 hello

: go32 complained that it did not find file <hello>.
: So I had a look in the directory and found a
: new file hello.s

Most likely you didn't set the environment variables.
The install program creates a file SET_PP.BAT
with the necessary commands. This must be executed
once before using ppc386.

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Institut fuer Biophysik, Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. borland almost for free

2. TP 7.x available from borland museam

3. Borland Pascal 7 and Borland C++

4. Incorporating Borland C++ 3.1 functions into Borland Pascal 7

5. ODBC & DELPHI now almost freeware

6. Timeslicing in Freepascal - almost works!

7. almost no glad quiet coconuts nearly wander as the smart twigs attempt

8. Almost too easy - but not for me.

9. Immediate Delphi/Pascal Position Available

10. Valentina C/Pascal Database SDK Beta Available

11. Immediate Delphi/Pascal Programming Position Available

12. Available: Pascal units to NETAPI.DLL