Tutoring.... once per a week?
Author Message
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

 I have decided I can write a tutor on TP every week envolving the very
basic to VESA programming.... so if you want this 2 go on... i can start to
write it now and post it to the newsgroup about 1 time in a week or so.

Duan Nguyen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:
> I have decided I can write a tutor on TP every week envolving the very
>basic to VESA programming.... so if you want this 2 go on... i can start to
>write it now and post it to the newsgroup about 1 time in a week or so.

>Duan Nguyen

Yes!   Any worthwhile tutoring is good.   In my experience the tutoring on
the net falls off markedly once you commence Objects and
TurboVision(Pascal).

RGDS, John
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

> I have decided I can write a tutor on TP every week envolving the very
>basic to VESA programming.... so if you want this 2 go on... i can start to
>write it now and post it to the newsgroup about 1 time in a week or so.

        http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-linx.htm#Tuts
has links to some tutorials; you may feel that enough has already been
done.  OTOH, if you proceed, and if I like yours, I'll want to add a
link to it.

--

  Web URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ -- includes FAQqish topics and links.
  Correct 4-line sig separator is as above, a line comprising "-- " (SoRFC1036)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

YSE YES YES YES

George

Quote:
>  I have decided I can write a tutor on TP every week envolving the very
> basic to VESA programming.... so if you want this 2 go on... i can start
> write it now and post it to the newsgroup about 1 time in a week or so.

> Duan Nguyen

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

> > I have decided I can write a tutor on TP every week envolving the very
> >basic to VESA programming.... so if you want this 2 go on... i can start to
> >write it now and post it to the newsgroup about 1 time in a week or so.

>         http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-linx.htm#Tuts
> has links to some tutorials; you may feel that enough has already been
> done.  OTOH, if you proceed, and if I like yours, I'll want to add a
> link to it.

> --

>   Web URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ -- includes FAQqish topics and links.
>   Correct 4-line sig separator is as above, a line comprising "-- " (SoRFC1036)
>   My list of Critical Dates is : http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/miscinfo.htm#CDs

Is there any point in investing anymore time and money in learning Dos
Programing.  I thought, Bill Gates has already decided fr us that
windows is the best operating system for everything.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

> > > I have decided I can write a tutor on TP every week envolving the very
> > >basic to VESA programming.... so if you want this 2 go on... i can start to
> > >write it now and post it to the newsgroup about 1 time in a week or so.

> >         http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-linx.htm#Tuts
> > has links to some tutorials; you may feel that enough has already been
> > done.  OTOH, if you proceed, and if I like yours, I'll want to add a
> > link to it.

> > --

> >   Web URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ -- includes FAQqish topics and links.
> >   Correct 4-line sig separator is as above, a line comprising "-- " (SoRFC1036)
> >   My list of Critical Dates is : http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/miscinfo.htm#CDs

> Is there any point in investing anymore time and money in learning Dos
> Programing.  I thought, Bill Gates has already decided fr us that
> windows is the best operating system for everything.

You shouldn't have said that, you'll be getting some response on this
one!

First of all: programming under DOS is much harder, and thus for most
programmers more fun to do, because you have to controll all aspects..

Second: Windows stinks!
Third : You have control over all the hardware, without windows ordering
some standards for you to use...

Fourth: Windoze is shit

And last: DOS is still a very good and SOLID environment to program in,
and alot of people (companies) are still using DOS because their
machines cant handle the stupidity of windows memory hogging things...

And I will never let Bill Gates decide things for me...

Greets,
--
Pascal Bestebroer
Just4Fun Productions

ICQ     : 2309110

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

>         http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-linx.htm#Tuts

> --
> John Stockton, ...

Please do not quote signatures in News or Mail.  The "-- " indicates where a
good system will snip them.

Quote:
>Is there any point in investing anymore time and money in learning Dos
>Programing.  I thought, Bill Gates has already decided fr us that
>windows is the best operating system for everything.

Like the "Bells of Hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling", IIRC.

Unless so requested, it is wholly unnecessary to reply by both News and
Mail; and it is generally considered most discourteous to do so without
indicating that at the beginning of each message.

Please get Dillons in Kingston to stock more books by Pournelle, Niven,
Clement, Sheffield.

--

  Web URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms and links.
  Correct 4-line sig separator is as above, a line comprising "-- " (SoRFC1036)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

>Is there any point in investing anymore time and money in learning Dos
>Programing.  I thought, Bill Gates has already decided fr us that
>windows is the best operating system for everything.

*He* may have decided but hasn't exactly consulted.

A few points:

1. Writing a quick and dirty program for one-off use is quicker in DOS
than windows.

2. DOS programming can be more taxing/rewarding (take your pick) for
applications that need control of the hardware at a low level without
using the kludges that windows provides.

3. There are a hell of a lot of DOS systems not ungraded (?) to Windows
because the computer won't cope / "if it's not broke - don't fix it"

4. It is easier to learn the *basics* of programming using a DOS system

5. Look at the number of 32-bit Pascal Compilers that are still being
worked on. Turbo Pascal 7.0 is still shipping.
--

In principle,   is there uncertainty that
Heisenberg was working his best in chaos?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

-- snip --

Quote:
> First of all: programming under DOS is much harder, and thus for most
> programmers more fun to do, because you have to controll all aspects..

> Second: Windows stinks!
> Third : You have control over all the hardware, without windows ordering
> some standards for you to use...

> Fourth: Windoze is shit

> And last: DOS is still a very good and SOLID environment to program
> in, and alot of people (companies) are still using DOS because their
> machines cant handle the stupidity of windows memory hogging things...

> And I will never let Bill Gates decide things for me...

 Actually, there is a brand new DOS available, and it's _FREE_ for non-
commercial use. I think it's only $30 for a commercial license, which
is less than both MS and IBM charge for MS-DOS ond PC-DOS. It's called
OpenDOS 7.02, and it can be download from http://www.caldera.com. I
haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but so far it seems stable
on my system (Cyrix 6x86, 8M Ram). It's not "just" DOS either... it
comes with support for multitasking and a full NetWare client. They
also have a graphical web browser available for it, but I haven't had
a chance to try it yet. Try it, I think if you like DOS you'll have
fun with it.

With best wishes,
Ken

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

> 5. Look at the number of 32-bit Pascal Compilers that are still being
> worked on. Turbo Pascal 7.0 is still shipping.

Forgive my naivety, but what else? I only know of Turbo Pascal, and it
does not conform to Wirth's Pascal in some critical aspects.

Daniel Sin

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:
> > 5. Look at the number of 32-bit Pascal Compilers that are still being
> > worked on. Turbo Pascal 7.0 is still shipping.

> Forgive my naivety, but what else? I only know of Turbo Pascal, and it
> does not conform to Wirth's Pascal in some critical aspects.

http://home.pages.de/~GNU-Pascal/
http://home.pages.de/~FPK-Pascal/
http://www.tmt.com/

At least GNU Pascal (I don't know for the others) conforms to Wirth's
standard (modulo a few possible bugs, plus a lot of extensions...)

BTW (back to the previous topic):

I don't think that learning to program should be dependent on the OS very
much. There might always be some differences between different platforms in
the details, but the general principles of programming should be the same.
If certain languages are designed specifically for one OS, IMHO that's a bad
idea, especially when talking about learning the programming basics, since
the usefulness of programming knowledge acquired with these languages is
quite limited.

Assembly language obviously falls in this category, TP IMHO doesn't (though
it has some Dos/PC specific things built into the language like Mem and Port,
these are fortunately very few; apart from the built-in assembler, of
course!). I don't know if Delphi does (some things I've heard about Delphi
seem like specifically designed -- and perhaps only useful -- in Windoze,
but I don't know much about Delphi).

--

Internet links:        http://home.pages.de/~fjf/links.htm
Turbo Pascal programs: http://home.pages.de/~fjf/programs.htm

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

-- snip --

Quote:
> I don't think that learning to program should be dependent on the OS very
> much. There might always be some differences between different platforms in
> the details, but the general principles of programming should be the same.
> If certain languages are designed specifically for one OS, IMHO that's a bad
> idea, especially when talking about learning the programming basics, since
> the usefulness of programming knowledge acquired with these languages is
> quite limited.

> Assembly language obviously falls in this category, TP IMHO doesn't (though
> it has some Dos/PC specific things built into the language like Mem and Port,
> these are fortunately very few; apart from the built-in assembler, of
> course!). I don't know if Delphi does (some things I've heard about Delphi
> seem like specifically designed -- and perhaps only useful -- in Windoze,
> but I don't know much about Delphi).

 The things that make a language dependant on a certain O/S is if the compiler
includes support for an O/S's API. For example, I use Turbo Pascal 7.0, and
while I suppose it's possible to write a Windows program with it, it would be
very difficult because I would have to write my own interface to the Windows
API since it isn't supported by the compiler.
 On the other hand, it would be difficult if not impossible to write a DOS pro-
gram using Delphi... the compiler is set to generate .exe files in Windows for-
mat; it doesnt offer an option to compile for DOS.
 Also, for learning, I think DOS is a much better environment because you can
concentrate on what you're trying to program, and not on the user interface.
A 5-line "hello world" program in DOS is something like 60 lines when written
for Windows (in C). That's one of the reasons I switched to Pascal - Delphi
lets me easily write Windows programs. I get to concentrate on what I want to
do and Delphi takes care of the Windows overhead.

Ken

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:

> The things that make a language dependant on a certain O/S is if the compiler
>includes support for an O/S's API.

Not exactly. The compiler's job is not to include support for API, but to
provide a means to enable a system programmer to support the API. One such
means is the external declaration, so that the API can be supported in some
units (WinTypes and WinProcs in the case of TPW).

Quote:
>For example, I use Turbo Pascal 7.0, and
>while I suppose it's possible to write a Windows program with it, it would be
>very difficult because I would have to write my own interface to the Windows
>API since it isn't supported by the compiler.

Right, you're talking about the compiler, not about the language, that's
my point. The language in TP and TPW is (nearly) the same, the compiler is
different (though not very much, either, since for a compiler, the target
processor make much greater a difference than the target OS). When you use
similar libraries (e.g. Crt in TP and WinCrt in TPW), you can write the
exact same programs for both compilers.

Quote:
> On the other hand, it would be difficult if not impossible to write a DOS pro-
>gram using Delphi... the compiler is set to generate .exe files in Windows for-
>mat; it doesnt offer an option to compile for DOS.

What you're talking about now is the linker (but if you don't care about
these internal differences, you can count it to the compiler as well).
The point is, you use different tools (compiler, linker, perhaps editor
as well) on different systems, but you (can) program in the same way.

If, however, you get used to program in assembler, use direct Mem[x:y]
and Port[x] access or use Windoze specific Delphi features (if are are
such), you get real problems when changing the platform. And if these
things are all you learned, these problems are not only about porting
you code, but also about how to program on the new platform.

Quote:
> Also, for learning, I think DOS is a much better environment because you can
>concentrate on what you're trying to program, and not on the user interface.

Completely agreed! Though there is WinCrt, it's really not so nice to use...
Of course, there are other systems (actually, almost all systems) where
it's equally easy as in Dos...

--
Frank Heckenbach, Erlangen, Germany

Internet links:        http://home.pages.de/~fjf/links.htm
Turbo Pascal programs: http://home.pages.de/~fjf/programs.htm

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Quote:
> Actually, there is a brand new DOS available, and it's _FREE_ for non-
> commercial use. I think it's only $30 for a commercial license, which
> is less than both MS and IBM charge for MS-DOS ond PC-DOS. It's called
> OpenDOS 7.02, and it can be download from http://www.caldera.com. I
> haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but so far it seems stable
> on my system (Cyrix 6x86, 8M Ram). It's not "just" DOS either... it
> comes with support for multitasking and a full NetWare client. They
> also have a graphical web browser available for it, but I haven't had
> a chance to try it yet. Try it, I think if you like DOS you'll have
> fun with it.

N.B. the 7.02 version is beta test and a real improvement of 7.01, the
current version, apart of COMMAND.COM which has new bugs, surely due
to the coming lon filename support. Use 7.01's COMMAND.COM instead.

--
Gautier

--------
Homepage: http://www.unine.ch/math/Personnel/Assistants/Gautier/Montmollin.html
Software: http://www.unine.ch/math/Personnel/Assistants/Gautier/Gaut_FTP.htm

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Tutoring.... once per a week?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

 [ 28 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. GUARANTEED 2-5 LBS WEIGHT LOSS PER WEEK

2. 500,- per week bijverdienen als programmeur

3. GUARANTEED 2-5 LBS WEIGHT LOSS PER WEEK

4. Blobs, once more,,,

5. Once again: Timing routine (EMM386 Error 13)

6. Question: Doing two things at once?

7. How to Prepare once Exec many?

8. QuickRep subdetail shows only once

9. 256 colors all at once?

10. Day in week and week in year calculations, oops!

11. 2 mice at once - driver in TP5.5?

12. Running Application Once Under Windows