Need help to smoothly display GUI! 
Author Message
 Need help to smoothly display GUI!

Working on a project to create a GUI in TP 7.0.

I am creating the mechanics of the software, but on previous attempts I fell
short on the displaying of the windows, the animated movement (Dragging
etc...) was not good + FLICKER.  How do I get around this??? What
technique???

Cheers
--DarkMore



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 05:08:00 GMT  
 Need help to smoothly display GUI!



Quote:
> Working on a project to create a GUI in TP 7.0.

> I am creating the mechanics of the software, but on previous attempts I
fell
> short on the displaying of the windows, the animated movement (Dragging
> etc...) was not good + FLICKER.  How do I get around this??? What
> technique???

> Cheers
> --DarkMore

You simply need very, very, very fast graphics. Much faster than the
standard Graph operations.
Why don't you try to find a GUI on the internet? There are lots of them.
Sometimes with the full source code. Find out how it is programmed. The
better ones took years of development by several programmers.
Painstakingly optimising of code.
In other words, your question here is much to complicated to answer here.

Femme

--
My reply adres for email is
fv at {*filter*}jet dot nl



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 09:24:58 GMT  
 Need help to smoothly display GUI!

Quote:



> > Working on a project to create a GUI in TP 7.0.

> > I am creating the mechanics of the software, but on previous attempts I
> fell
> > short on the displaying of the windows, the animated movement (Dragging
> > etc...) was not good + FLICKER.  How do I get around this??? What
> > technique???

> > Cheers
> > --DarkMore

> You simply need very, very, very fast graphics. Much faster than the
> standard Graph operations.

While I certainly agree that fast graphics are a must, that's not the only
issue. The ~way~ that a screen area is redrawn is also very important. Flicker
will go throught the roof if a GUI redraws a large area of the background
first, then "paints" the foreground (text for example) on top of it
afterwards. It is better (though actually slightly slower) to break the big
area into small smaller areas (such as per text line) then paint each one in
its entirety, before going on to the next line of text (or whatever).

Double and tripple buffering can also be used, but this increases resource
requirements and slows down a GUI by a lot because of all the copying
required.

--
Jay

Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
=== Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
=== New Graphic Vision  version 2.12 available from:  ===
http://www.jayman.demon.co.uk



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 11:17:00 GMT  
 Need help to smoothly display GUI!
Quote:
> > > Working on a project to create a GUI in TP 7.0.

> > > I am creating the mechanics of the software, but on previous
attempts I
> > fell
> > > short on the displaying of the windows, the animated movement
(Dragging
> > > etc...) was not good + FLICKER.  How do I get around this??? What
> > > technique???

> > > Cheers
> > > --DarkMore

> > You simply need very, very, very fast graphics. Much faster than the
> > standard Graph operations.

> While I certainly agree that fast graphics are a must, that's not the
only
> issue. The ~way~ that a screen area is redrawn is also very important.
Flicker
> will go throught the roof if a GUI redraws a large area of the
background
> first, then "paints" the foreground (text for example) on top of it
> afterwards. It is better (though actually slightly slower) to break the
big
> area into small smaller areas (such as per text line) then paint each
one in
> its entirety, before going on to the next line of text (or whatever).

> Double and tripple buffering can also be used, but this increases
resource
> requirements and slows down a GUI by a lot because of all the copying
> required.

> --
> Jay

> Jason Burgon - Author of "Graphic Vision"  GUI for DOS/DPMI
> === Free LFN capable Dos/WinDos replacement and ===
> === New Graphic Vision  version 2.12 available from:  ===
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

I never got to the point of developing a user interface in full grapic
mode. I did make a textbased interface however, because I could never
live well with the TV units.
The idea is that you build a menu structure and dialogs as if you are
writing text to the screen.
The code to execute follows directly after each menuitem statement.
A bit more complicated, but it is something like this:

while menuinit do
begin
   if menuitem ('hello') then executehello;
   if menuitem ('world') then executeworld;
end;

For every menu poll, menuinit is looped twice. The first time menuinit
sets all the parameters, handles the screen etc. Each menuitem outputs to
the screen, builds up a table in memory and results false. The second
time menuinit handles keyboard and mouse, and upon input it invokes the
loop the second time, only the selected menuitem becomes true, and that
piece of code is executed.

Over the years you develop pop up windows, editors, mouse support etc.
thousands of little small details, like how to react on an arrow key.
What was thought to be an easy menu (that's what it's called) becomes
more and more complicated.
For my own use it works well, but I never published it, since that
requires manuals and a lot of support. Lots of code left over from the
days that computers were not that fast. Time is a precious thing.
I must say, my admiration for those that do publish. Perhaps if a lot of
people here think that it can be something useful, I might be persuaded.

--
Femme Verbeek

----------------------------------
My reply adres for email is
fv at {*filter*}jet dot nl
----------------------------------



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:20:49 GMT  
 Need help to smoothly display GUI!

Quote:

> Over the years you develop pop up windows, editors, mouse support etc.
> thousands of little small details, like how to react on an arrow key.
> What was thought to be an easy menu (that's what it's called) becomes
> more and more complicated.
> For my own use it works well, but I never published it, since that
> requires manuals and a lot of support. Lots of code left over from the
> days that computers were not that fast. Time is a precious thing.
> I must say, my admiration for those that do publish. Perhaps if a lot of
> people here think that it can be something useful, I might be persuaded.

I'd would put it as unsupported abandonware on some site, provided that you
 (or your group with their permission) hold all copyrights.

Preferably PD, but BSD license or LGPL are also reasonable.

It wouldn't cost much time, and the code wouldn't be lost. Maybe it saves
some open source team, or somebody in the embedded world some time, and gets
even cleaned up and documented.



Fri, 04 Jun 2004 23:43:04 GMT  
 Need help to smoothly display GUI!


Quote:

> > Over the years you develop pop up windows, editors, mouse support
etc.
> > thousands of little small details, like how to react on an arrow key.
> > What was thought to be an easy menu (that's what it's called) becomes
> > more and more complicated.
> > For my own use it works well, but I never published it, since that
> > requires manuals and a lot of support. Lots of code left over from
the
> > days that computers were not that fast. Time is a precious thing.
> > I must say, my admiration for those that do publish. Perhaps if a lot
of
> > people here think that it can be something useful, I might be
persuaded.

> I'd would put it as unsupported abandonware on some site, provided that
you
>  (or your group with their permission) hold all copyrights.

> Preferably PD, but BSD license or LGPL are also reasonable.

What do these abbreviations mean?

Quote:

> It wouldn't cost much time, and the code wouldn't be lost. Maybe it
saves
> some open source team, or somebody in the embedded world some time, and
gets
> even cleaned up and documented.

Actually it's not exactly abandonware, since I am still using it very
often.
I should spend a few days doing some cleaning up and making some changes.
After that it will be better useable. I must give it some thought.

--
Femme Verbeek

----------------------------------
My reply adres for email is
fv at {*filter*}jet dot nl
----------------------------------



Sat, 05 Jun 2004 09:13:55 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Teacher needs help in reading and display text file

2. Teacher Needs Help displaying Text files-J.T.Lawson

3. FPK Pascal developers needed for xWindow GUI project, GNU LGPL:ed

4. Event-driven GUI - experienced programmers opinion needed!

5. GUI COMPILER HELP!!!!

6. Help:pascal GUI

7. Help on GUI

8. Help on GUI

9. Q. Looking for help with GUI resources

10. Need source for displaying a .BMP with Truecolor?

11. Tp: text display/Ansi display

12. Help : Displaying a record and form from a TQuery Grid

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software