Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment 
Author Message
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

Hi,

just interested in knowing whether there will be any more releases of Turbo
Pascal and Borland Pascal, or whether delphi is now to be Borlands only Pascal
Development enviroment.

Thanks,

Mark.

--

Dept of Computer Science,
University of Western Australia.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

Quote:

>Hi,
>just interested in knowing whether there will be any more releases of Turbo
>Pascal and Borland Pascal, or whether Delphi is now to be Borlands only Pascal
>Development enviroment.

i work(ed) with delphi, and its getting used to it but its works like a charm, fact is i
hated windows, now its a better relation since delphi knocked on the programmers door,
still i hope there will be a dos BP coming out.
Still with delphi its a breeze writing database related thingies.

Quote:
>Thanks,
>Mark.

---
** King for a day, Fool for a Lifetime **

Richard Eradus, Rotterdam The Netherlands



http://www.euronet.nl/users/rpe/index.html
Homepage of T-GIF & TZMODEM (real 8K zmodem!)



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

Quote:


>Subject: Re: Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment
>Date: Fri, 01 Sep 1995 21:39:29 GMT

>>Hi,
>>just interested in knowing whether there will be any more releases of Turbo
>>Pascal and Borland Pascal, or whether Delphi is now to be Borlands only Pascal
>>Development enviroment.
>i work(ed) with delphi, and its getting used to it but its works like a charm,
>fact is i
>hated windows, now its a better relation since delphi knocked on the programmers
>door,
>still i hope there will be a dos BP coming out.
>Still with delphi its a breeze writing database related thingies.

Dos is dead, get over it.

Serge.

Quote:
>>Thanks,
>>Mark.
>---
>** King for a day, Fool for a Lifetime **
>Richard Eradus, Rotterdam The Netherlands


>http://www.euronet.nl/users/rpe/index.html
>Homepage of T-GIF & TZMODEM (real 8K zmodem!)



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

Quote:

>>>just interested in knowing whether there will be any more releases of Turbo
>>>Pascal and Borland Pascal, or whether Delphi is now to be Borlands only Pascal
>>>Development enviroment.
>>i work(ed) with delphi, and its getting used to it but its works like a charm,
>>fact is i
>>hated windows, now its a better relation since delphi knocked on the programmers
>>door,
>>still i hope there will be a dos BP coming out.
>>Still with delphi its a breeze writing database related thingies.
>Dos is dead, get over it.

I can't say whether there will be many more DOS products, but I don't expect
there to be many.  The advantages of an environment like Windows are simply so
compelling, and the number of machines that can run it is now so large,
that in my mind it no longer makes much sense to produce lots of products that
"don't do Windows."  

The products that have already been developed to work in that environment
will, of course, continue to produce _some revenue for many years -- probably
enough to justify the cost of printing boxes and manuals -- but I don't think
you'll really convince anyone that a DOS-only product will produce enough
incremental revenue to justify any real improvements to it.  They're just
cash-cows now, and nearly out of milk.

/mr/



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment
I hope not. I mostly use Pascal to write simulation algorithms, to
test hunches about the mathematical properties of language, things
like that. The last thing I need is having to bother with Windows.

As I have perhaps already written on this group, I'd be much
happier with TP for Linux, or a stand-alone Oberon (i.e. without
the Oberon system). That is, I know, a contradiction in terms,
so let us rather say a language with about the same syntax as
Oberon. Although I have BP 7, I hardly ever use it, only TP 5.5.
I'd be happy enough with resizable arrays any size anywhere
(RAM, EMS, disk, I don't want to know), and garbage collections.
Yes I know, I can have those arrays using streams. I don't want
to be bothered with that.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

: Dos is dead, get over it.

I keep hearing this since the late eighties.   Yet I keep seeing
new DOS releases.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

: : Dos is dead, get over it.

: I keep hearing this since the late eighties.   Yet I keep seeing
: new DOS releases.

So who said reality was necessary? Elvis has been dead for years,
and people keep seeing him, too. :)

----
"Cause in history refracts itself through a natural selection of accidents."
                                                L. Trotsky
----



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment
Hi, I've just visited Borland's web site http://www.borland.com again
for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I noticed that they've
removod virtually all references to their former flagship product
Borland Pascal. It seems that Borland no longer ships BP7, only Delphi
and Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS. This is a very unfortunate discision,
since BP7 is an outstanding and very complete product, especially if
you want to develop programs which let you use all of your computers
memory without having to deal with the complexities of Windows. Of
course, I am referring to BP's capability to generate DOS protected
mode programs using the DPMI specification. (Turbo Pascal 7.0 can only
generate DOS real mode programs). In this respect, BP7 has always had
a distinct advantage over both Borland's and Microsoft C(++) compilers
for DOS, which can only be used to generate DPMI progroms with the help
of third party add-on products, which adds a lot of complexity and hassle
to the development cycle.

Borland has already stopped selling C++ compilers for DOS some time ago
(true, their flagship product Borland C++ 4.5 can generate DOS apps, but
this is more of an afterthought rather than a serious possibility; there
is no DOS based IDE, and the documentation leaves much to be desired).

I expect that Borland will continue selling Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS for
some time to come, but only because it is widely used in educational in-
stitutions as a first introduction to structured and/or object oriented
programming. I don't expect that they will develop the product any
further. This is unfortunate, because I think that people learning the
basics of a new computer language, whether it be Pascal with or without
its object oriented extensions, or C or C++, are much better of working
in an excellent text based environment like the Borland DOS IDE until they
have a gained a firm grasp of the fundamentals of a given language.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

Quote:
>Hi, I've just visited Borland's web site http://www.borland.com again
>for the first time in a couple of weeks, and I noticed that they've
>removod virtually all references to their former flagship product
>Borland Pascal. It seems that Borland no longer ships BP7, only Delphi
>and Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS. This is a very unfortunate discision,
>since BP7 is an outstanding and very complete product, especially if
>you want to develop programs which let you use all of your computers
>memory without having to deal with the complexities of Windows. Of
>course, I am referring to BP's capability to generate DOS protected
>mode programs using the DPMI specification. (Turbo Pascal 7.0 can only
>generate DOS real mode programs). In this respect, BP7 has always had
>a distinct advantage over both Borland's and Microsoft C(++) compilers
>for DOS, which can only be used to generate DPMI progroms with the help
>of third party add-on products, which adds a lot of complexity and hassle
>to the development cycle.

>Borland has already stopped selling C++ compilers for DOS some time ago
>(true, their flagship product Borland C++ 4.5 can generate DOS apps, but
>this is more of an afterthought rather than a serious possibility; there
>is no DOS based IDE, and the documentation leaves much to be desired).

>I expect that Borland will continue selling Turbo Pascal 7.0 for DOS for
>some time to come, but only because it is widely used in educational in-
>stitutions as a first introduction to structured and/or object oriented
>programming. I don't expect that they will develop the product any
>further. This is unfortunate, because I think that people learning the
>basics of a new computer language, whether it be Pascal with or without
>its object oriented extensions, or C or C++, are much better of working
>in an excellent text based environment like the Borland DOS IDE until they
>have a gained a firm grasp of the fundamentals of a given language.

I respect your opinion, but there are several inaccuracies in your post that I'd like
to correct.

Borland has not stopped selling BP7.  We still believe it's one of the best DOS
development platforms available.  Borland also continues to sell C++ compilers for DOS.
We still sell Turbo C++ for DOS, adn the latest version of Borland C++ supports DOS,
Windows, and Win32.  Borland also sells the DOS PowerPack, which provides BC++ with the
capability for creating 16 and 32-bit DPMI applications.

     -Steve Teixeira



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment
: The last thing I need is having to bother with Windows.

: As I have perhaps already written on this group, I'd be much
: happier with TP for Linux

: I'd be happy enough with resizable arrays any size anywhere
: (RAM, EMS, disk, I don't want to know)

Borland will probably not develop this because they
think there is not enough interest to justify the development.

But if we could show that a lot of people are interested,
this might influence their decision!

Please participate in my petition - VOTE NOW !!

For details please see http://132.230.63.1/~klaus/pascal.html

Klaus
--
Klaus Hartnegg, Arbeitsgruppe Hirnforschung, Institut fuer Biophysik,
Hansa-Strasse 9a, D-79104 Freiburg, Tel +49 761 203 9516, Fax 9540



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Is Delphi to become Borlands only Pascal development enviroment


 > : The last thing I need is having to bother with Windows.
 >
 > : As I have perhaps already written on this group, I'd be much
 > : happier with TP for Linux
 >
 > : I'd be happy enough with resizable arrays any size anywhere
 > : (RAM, EMS, disk, I don't want to know)
 >
 > Borland will probably not develop this because they
 > think there is not enough interest to justify the development.

Very true.  Nobody would by a 1,000+ US$ compiler for a
free operating system that comes with a free compiler
(gnu C and gnu Pascal).

It's certainly better for Borland NOT to develop a
compiler for Linux.  Or, for that matter, for ANY unix
platform, unless they make it fairly portable and also
supply the complete sources.

Regards,
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme,  Leibnizstr. 18-61,  38678 Clausthal,  Germany

Info service:  send email with Subject "SEND HELP" to the above address
FTP: ftp.tu-clausthal.de      WWW: http://www.rz.tu-clausthal.de/~inof/



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 11 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Is Delphi to be Borlands only Pascal development enviroment

2. TSR programming in Borlands Turbo Pascal 6.0

3. Will Borlands Turbo Pascal work on WINDOWS95?

4. Windows Application Development in Pascal with DELPHI v1.0

5. Delphi : Multimedia Application Development Tools for Delphi ??

6. Borlands DBGrids bug - New work arounds

7. About Borlands DBEngines

8. I am looking for DOS based PASCAL

9. Free pascal for OS development problem

10. Pascal development Jobs

11. Pascal development Jobs

12. Online Game Development Project (GDT) [Pascal/Asm]

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software