Write/Writeln bug?
Author Message
 Write/Writeln bug?

For a while now I've been having problems with Pascal programs - they stop
with runtime error 25. I've tried using TP's help but all it said was that it
was a runtime error. Yes thankyou Borland I know that already.

Anyway, through some investigation I've traced the problem - the runtime
error occurs at any Write or WriteLn statements regardless of what the
program is. It's OK if I recompile the program, but after being used a few
times it dies again.

Are there any known bugs in write/writeln? Please don't ask me to post any
source code - it's not specific to any one program.

--
=====================================

(remove the NOSPAM bit)
Faculty Of Science, University Of Liverpool

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?

Quote:

> For a while now I've been having problems with Pascal programs - they stop
> with runtime error 25. I've tried using TP's help but all it said was that it
> was a runtime error. Yes thankyou Borland I know that already.

> Anyway, through some investigation I've traced the problem - the runtime
> error occurs at any Write or WriteLn statements regardless of what the
> program is. It's OK if I recompile the program, but after being used a few
> times it dies again.

An unbalanced stack causes write and writeln to fail; I have experienced that
quite often.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?
How do I fix this?

Quote:

--
=====================================

(remove the NOSPAM bit)
Faculty Of Science, University Of Liverpool

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?
Hi!

Perhaps you should post some parts of the code where the error occures.
Otherwise no one here will be able to help you. We cannot correct a bug we
do not see.

CU
Jens

--
[ HOMEPAGE: http://home.t-online.de/home/jens.gesing/index.htm ]
[ PROGRAMMING-DO-IT-YOURSELF: http://www.pdiy.de ]

Quote:
> For a while now I've been having problems with Pascal programs - they stop
> with runtime error 25. I've tried using TP's help but all it said was that
it
> was a runtime error. Yes thankyou Borland I know that already.

> Anyway, through some investigation I've traced the problem - the runtime
> error occurs at any Write or WriteLn statements regardless of what the
> program is. It's OK if I recompile the program, but after being used a few
> times it dies again.

> Are there any known bugs in write/writeln? Please don't ask me to post any
> source code - it's not specific to any one program.

> --
> =====================================

> (remove the NOSPAM bit)
> Faculty Of Science, University Of Liverpool

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?
if you use a lot of WRITE statements without using a WRITELN,  the output
buffer fills up and causes problems.  I've gotten into the habit of using
only WRITELN followed by a GOTOXY for most of my screen writes because of
this.

Quote:

>For a while now I've been having problems with Pascal programs - they stop
>with runtime error 25. I've tried using TP's help but all it said was that
it
>was a runtime error. Yes thankyou Borland I know that already.

>Anyway, through some investigation I've traced the problem - the runtime
>error occurs at any Write or WriteLn statements regardless of what the
>program is. It's OK if I recompile the program, but after being used a few
>times it dies again.

>Are there any known bugs in write/writeln? Please don't ask me to post any
>source code - it's not specific to any one program.

you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?
It's not particular to any one program - I even tried a "hello world"
programs (contains nothing but 2 writeln statements) and it happened.

Quote:

--
=====================================

(remove the NOSPAM bit)
Faculty Of Science, University Of Liverpool

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 06:30:26 GMT, "David Pratt"

Quote:

> if you use a lot of WRITE statements without using a WRITELN,  the output
> buffer fills up and causes problems.

No. WRITE(LN) is bug-free. It definitely doesn't cause problems - or
are you able to support you claim by an example ?

If output is tied to the screen then the buffer is flushed after every
WRITE or WRITELN statement or whenever the buffer is full - otherwise
it is flushed whenever the buffer is full. The buffer will be flushed
unconditionally by FLUSH(F) or CLOSE(F).

Regards
Horst

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?

Quote:

> >For a while now I've been having problems with Pascal programs -
> >they stop
> >with runtime error 25. I've tried using TP's help but all it said
> >was that it
> >was a runtime error. Yes thankyou Borland I know that already.

> >Anyway, through some investigation I've traced the problem - the
> >runtime
> >error occurs at any Write or WriteLn statements regardless of what
> >the
> >program is. It's OK if I recompile the program, but after being used
> >a few
> >times it dies again.

> >Are there any known bugs in write/writeln? Please don't ask me to
> >post any
> >source code - it's not specific to any one program.
> if you use a lot of WRITE statements without using a WRITELN,  the
> output buffer fills up and causes problems.  I've gotten into the
> habit of using only WRITELN followed by a GOTOXY for most of my
> screen writes because of this.

I've got a program that produces about 1.5Mb of output, and never uses
WriteLn, start thinking about a new hypothesis.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?

Quote:

> It's not particular to any one program - I even tried a "hello world"
> programs (contains nothing but 2 writeln statements) and it happened.

Please post this program, together with your compiler options (Ctrl-O O will
insert them) so that we can see what you're doing!

I trust you're terminating your strings properly, that sort of thing?
In any case, it sounds like you have a strange system... it's unlikely to be
a bug in Writeln.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?
OK, I'll post a program showing the compiler options on Monday. The strange
thing is though, it can't be a syntax error in the source, because then it
wouldn't compile at all. But it does compile, then after using it a few times
it stops with Runtime 25. Then if I recompile, it works OK for a while and
then dies again.

I did receive a reply by email (PS- I'm not bothered by this as some poeple
in this NG are - DON'T FLAME ME for saying this) along similar lines, and I
replied saying that I was having problems with non-Pascal programs as well,
so it could be DOS or maybe even my HDD. I've run a HDD test but no bad
sectors were found.

Quote:

--
=====================================

(remove the NOSPAM bit)
Faculty Of Science, University Of Liverpool

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?

Quote:

>It's not particular to any one program - I even tried a "hello world"
>programs (contains nothing but 2 writeln statements) and it happened.

Please learn to use News correctly.

This includes reading the answers you are given; it is pointless trying
to help you unless you can, as repeatedly asked, provide a short
example, with full surrounding details.

Please also learn to answer in the correct order, responses after
snipped quotes; and do not quote signatures, especially your own, which
is unnecessarily long.

If you do not co-operate, the only answer can be that there are no known
bugs in Writeln; and you will in the end only be responded to by fools.

--

 Web <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqn.zip> - Timo Salmi's Usenet Q&A.
 Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/news-use.htm> :  about usage of News.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?

Quote:

> This includes reading the answers you are given; it is pointless trying
> to help you unless you can, as repeatedly asked, provide a short
> example, with full surrounding details.

I'm sorry, but try reading some replies yourself. Maybe you posted this
around the same time I posted mine, but I mentioned that I would be posting
some source showing compiler options today. Should get them by tonight or
maybe tomorrow - I've not got much time for Usenetting today.

Quote:
> Please also learn to answer in the correct order, responses after
> snipped quotes; and do not quote signatures,

What do you mean by the "correct order"? I've replied to the ones that I want
to reply to - it's not as if I've put a message in mid-thread. And in most
cases I do reply after "snipped quotes".

Quote:
> especially your own, which
> is unnecessarily long.

Excuse me? It's only 4 lines, like everyone else's. I came into this NG to
ask a question, not to be read the law of the land.

I don't like being "lectured" like this, so calm down. We all make mistakes.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?

Quote:

>> This includes reading the answers you are given; it is pointless trying
>> to help you unless you can, as repeatedly asked, provide a short
>> example, with full surrounding details.

>I'm sorry, but try reading some replies yourself.

I have read them all.  I have re-read the whole thread.  You have been
asked a number of questions, which in our judgement could lead to an
explanation, or at least to the elimination of possibilities; they have
mostly not been answered.

Quote:
>Maybe you posted this
>around the same time I posted mine, but I mentioned that I would be posting
>some source showing compiler options today. Should get them by tonight or
>maybe tomorrow - I've not got much time for Usenetting today.

>> Please also learn to answer in the correct order, responses after
>> snipped quotes; and do not quote signatures,

>What do you mean by the "correct order"?

>I've replied to the ones that I want
>to reply to - it's not as if I've put a message in mid-thread. And in most
>cases I do reply after "snipped quotes".

In most cases in this thread you have not - count them.

Quote:
>> especially your own, which
>> is unnecessarily long.

>Excuse me? It's only 4 lines, like everyone else's.

Yours is about eight lines, including Deja's contribution; and as you
choose to use Deja, you should make some allowance for that.  I
carefully, because of that, wrote "unnecessarily long"; the line of "="
characters is pointless; and the rest could be put on two lines, not
three.  Perhaps you are not fully aware of the reasons for the
convention?

Quote:
> I came into this NG to
>ask a question, not to be read the law of the land.

You should think more carefully about what the rest of us want, if you
want your questions to be answered.

Quote:
>I don't like being "lectured" like this, so calm down. We all make mistakes.

You are, apparently, at a University - you should be accustomed to the
idea of lectures, whether or not you are a donor or a recipient.

-

IMHO, only after seeing a minimal test program which on your system
shows the problem, and probably also being informed as to which
compiler, mode, OS, etc., you are using, is progress likely to be made.

BTW, AFAICS you have not reported trying the programs on other machines,
similar or different; it would be useful IMHO to try a single compiled
EXE on more than one system, and to try to compile the .PAS on more than
one system.

As you've referred to "TP's", I guess you're not using BP (though you
*could* be using TPW); in that case you can run a program in at least
four ways - compile to memory & run in IDE, compile to disc and run in
IDE, compile to disc and run in a new DOS shell, compile to disc and run
after quitting TP.  It could matter.

--

 Web <URL:ftp://garbo.uwasa.fi/pc/link/tsfaqn.zip> - Timo Salmi's Usenet Q&A.
 Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/news-use.htm> :  about usage of News.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Write/Writeln bug?

Quote:
> Yours is about eight lines, including Deja's contribution; and as you
> choose to use Deja, you should make some allowance for that. I
> carefully, because of that, wrote "unnecessarily long"; the line of "="
> characters is pointless; and the rest could be put on two lines, not
> three. Perhaps you are not fully aware of the reasons for the
> convention?

Deja puts restrictions of its own onto sigs so I have to spread it over at
least three lines. OK, I'll take off the line of "=". And I have no control
over Deja's contribution to the sig. In the preferences it allows me 4 lines,
so I am just following their rules. Blame them, not me.

Quote:
> You are, apparently, at a University - you should be accustomed to the
> idea of lectures, whether or not you are a donor or a recipient.

You're just being sarcastic now! I go to Uni for the purpose of lectures. I
go to this NG for the purpose of questions. There's a difference.

Quote:
> BTW, AFAICS

Could you use less ancronyms? I have to stop to think about what they are....
:-)

Quote:
>you have not reported trying the programs on other machines,

I only have access to TP on one machine.

Quote:
> As you've referred to "TP's", I guess you're not using BP

You're right - TP as in Turbo Pascal 5.5 for DOS.

Quote:
> four ways - compile to memory & run in IDE, compile to disc and run in
> IDE, compile to disc and run in a new DOS shell, compile to disc and run
> after quitting TP. It could matter.

It doesn't matter which way I run it - when it comes to using it I want to
use it from the command line, not from within the IDE.

--

(remove the NOSPAM bit)
Faculty Of Science, University Of Liverpool

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

 [ 17 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. printing (writeln) with win95 vs NT 3.51 (Delphi Bug, or Programmer Ignorance)

2. writeln--write?

3. To writeln or write

4. write / writeln declaration

5. Wanted: Fast Write and WriteLn replacement...

6. Howto write a procedure like Writeln

7. HELP BUG !! WRITING FILES

8. save mutiple writeln's into an array

9. Runtime error 105 at writeln

10. ***QUES:Use writeln in graph mode in pascal***

11. Writeln in Delphi ???

12. writeln