256 Color Bitmap becomes Grayish in Win95
Author Message
 256 Color Bitmap becomes Grayish in Win95

I am using textbook techniques to display a 256 color bitmap as a splash screen
and the colors come up quite well on Win 3.1.  However, on Win 95, they come
up grayish, as if they had been converted to 16 colors (say, using Resource
Workshop).

By textbook, I mean that I am using the LoadBitmap function that is in
the BP examples and then a BitBlt.

Is there something special to do for Win 95?

Does anyone have an example of a splash screen code that avoids the problem?

Thanks for your help.

Jean D. Ichbiah

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 256 Color Bitmap becomes Grayish in Win95

Quote:

>I am using textbook techniques to display a 256 color bitmap as a splash
screen
>and the colors come up quite well on Win 3.1.  However, on Win 95, they come
>up grayish, as if they had been converted to 16 colors (say, using Resource
>Workshop).

Actually I foud the answer in a very nice program called bitview
(file mdibma.zip on compuserve)

My problem came from not loading the palette. This program does it
and well (aside from a slight error - if you are interested, email and
I will give you a revised version)

Jean D. Ichbiah

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 256 Color Bitmap becomes Grayish in Win95
Hi Jean,

Quote:

>>I am using textbook techniques to display a 256 color bitmap as a splash
>screen
>>and the colors come up quite well on Win 3.1.  However, on Win 95, they come
>>up grayish, as if they had been converted to 16 colors (say, using Resource
>>Workshop).

>Actually I foud the answer in a very nice program called bitview
>(file mdibma.zip on compuserve)

>My problem came from not loading the palette. This program does it
>and well (aside from a slight error - if you are interested, email and
>I will give you a revised version)

Any chance you could also send me a copy? I could only get a 16 colour bitmap in
resource to show as a splash screen. If you want I could shove it in the next issue
of the programming page on the resources page.

TTFN and TC, Michael Dales, official nice person

Programming Page :
http://www.gla.ac.uk/Clubs/WebSoc/~9402198d/progpage/issue3/index.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. 256 color bitmap in windows

2. 256 Color bitmap

3. 256 color image on a 16 color screen?

4. 24-bit color to 256 color's source

5. Problem printing color bitmap on color printer wih TPW 1.5

6. Delphi: 16 color bitmap w/non-system colors

7. How do I print 256 color graphics?

8. Please Help : 256 color and Mouse

9. 256 color turbo pascal .tpi

10. TPW: loading 256 color bitmaps?