Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
Author Message
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!

Sorry, I just need to vent some frustration...

I was working on a program today (probably about 2000 lines) when all of the
sudden TP 7.0 IDE gives me a "heap error." and a "out of disk space" error
when I tried to shell to DOS.  It then bombed out and saved a 0 byte file OVER
my source code - destorying what was probably 100 hours of work...

I'm SO pissed off right now.  I had 34 megs of HD space remaining, so the out
of disk space error was bogus.  Maybe it did something that Win98 didn't
like??

And I don't have a backup of the source code either. :(

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
In comp.lang.Pascal.borland, xxx uttered:

Quote:
>  It then bombed out and saved a 0 byte file OVER
>my source code - destorying what was probably 100 hours of work...

DOS used to use space that had not been written to on a disk in that
session as far as possible. You may well be able to get the original
back by using undelete in the correct directory and giving a different
first letter.

Quote:

>And I don't have a backup of the source code either. :(

It's always worth keeping a backup of your last changes - TP will do it
automatically if you set options/environment/editor/create backup files

--
Pedt Scragg

No-one is completely useless, they can always be a bad example.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!

Quote:
>It's always worth keeping a backup of your last changes - TP will do it
>automatically if you set options/environment/editor/create backup files

After this experience I will be making backup copies every 5 minutes! :)

I actually have it setup to create a BAK file, but TP also rewrote that as a 0
byte file when it bombed out.  Really strange behavior if you ask me.  I've
been using TP 7.0 since it's release under DOS, Desqview, Win3.1, Win95,
and Win98, and NEVER had anything like this happen. :(

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!

Quote:
>DOS used to use space that had not been written to on a disk in that
>session as far as possible. You may well be able to get the original
>back by using undelete in the correct directory and giving a different
>first letter.

I don't think Win98 has an UNDELETE program as DOS did.  I'll have to see if
there is something shareware that will allow it?  I'm using standard FAT (not
FAT-32) so even a DOS program should work...

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
In comp.lang.pascal.borland, xxx uttered:

Quote:
>>DOS used to use space that had not been written to on a disk in that
>>session as far as possible. You may well be able to get the original
>>back by using undelete in the correct directory and giving a different
>>first letter.

>I don't think Win98 has an UNDELETE program as DOS did.  I'll have to see if
>there is something shareware that will allow it?  I'm using standard FAT (not
>FAT-32) so even a DOS program should work...

Look at http://www.tucows.com/ and choose your nearest mirror. There
should be something in there to help. If not, do a search on altavista
or similar. If you have Norton/whatever you probably have an undelete
tool in there.

BTW, you can respond to different sections of a reply in the same post
rather than posting a separate response to each section.

--
Pedt Scragg

No-one is completely useless, they can always be a bad example.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
In comp.lang.pascal.borland, xxx uttered:

Quote:
>>It's always worth keeping a backup of your last changes - TP will do it
>>automatically if you set options/environment/editor/create backup files

>After this experience I will be making backup copies every 5 minutes! :)

>I actually have it setup to create a BAK file, but TP also rewrote that as a 0
>byte file when it bombed out.  Really strange behavior if you ask me.

Rather unusual it seems.

TP copies/moves/renames the last modifed copy to .bak when it writes the
new .pas file.

ISTM that when you saved the previous copy Win98 failed to deal with it
properly therefore creating the 0 byte file. When you then saved at the
end, there was only the 0 byte copy as backup.

--
Pedt Scragg

No-one is completely useless, they can always be a bad example.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!

Quote:

>ISTM that when you saved the previous copy Win98 failed to deal with it
>properly therefore creating the 0 byte file. When you then saved at the
>end, there was only the 0 byte copy as backup.

This IMO is a bug. An editor should never overwrite the backup with zero
byte file as such a file is clearly a result of a failure.

Osmo

:
: I was working on a program today (probably about 2000 lines) when all of the
: sudden TP 7.0 IDE gives me a "heap error." and a "out of disk space" error
: when I tried to shell to DOS.  It then bombed out and saved a 0 byte file OVER
: my source code - destorying what was probably 100 hours of work...

      It is frustrating, but it is possible to cause
this inadvertantly with a certain sequence of keystrokes.
      Rather than shelling to DOS to check disk space,
the prudent thing to do is save to a different filename.

: I'm SO ****** off right now.  I had 34 megs of HD space remaining, so
: the out of disk space error was bogus.  Maybe it did something that
: Win98 didn't like??

      Using either 95 or 98 with less than 200 megs
of disk space is asking for trouble.
      You might check the temp directory to see if
the file is there under a different filename.
      But multiple write attempts with insufficient
space will sometimes result in zero byte files, it
will even overwrite the .BAK file.

: And I don't have a backup of the source code either. :(

     I hope you find a copy, and if you have  disk utilities
or know how to use debug well, it should be possible as
sectors are rarely overwritten until a larger file is
saved and uses the space.
     I have had the same problem with TP6.0 but I
know it was my fault, not TP.    But I didn't lose
the entire file, just a day's work.
     And it was the one time that I did not save
to a different filename, it is essential to save
to filenames associated with date and time so that
a blunder does not cause existing code to have
serious bugs, as using a de{*filter*} is a waste of
time that can be avoided.

Joe Fischer

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
38MB free disk space & WIN98?????? How did you do that??????

I've got over 200MB free, but when WIN95 runs, there's remaining only
150-170MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Sorry for bad english (I'm from Slovenia)!
Matija Polajnar

Quote:
>Sorry, I just need to vent some frustration...

>I was working on a program today (probably about 2000 lines) when all of
the
>sudden TP 7.0 IDE gives me a "heap error." and a "out of disk space" error
>when I tried to shell to DOS.  It then bombed out and saved a 0 byte file
OVER
>my source code - destorying what was probably 100 hours of work...

>I'm SO pissed off right now.  I had 34 megs of HD space remaining, so the
out
>of disk space error was bogus.  Maybe it did something that Win98 didn't
>like??

>And I don't have a backup of the source code either. :(

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
38MB free disk space & WIN98?????? How did you do that??????

I've got over 200MB free, but when WIN95 runs, there's remaining only
150-170MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Sorry for bad english (I'm from Slovenia)!
Matija Polajnar

Quote:
>Sorry, I just need to vent some frustration...

>I was working on a program today (probably about 2000 lines) when all of
the
>sudden TP 7.0 IDE gives me a "heap error." and a "out of disk space" error
>when I tried to shell to DOS.  It then bombed out and saved a 0 byte file
OVER
>my source code - destorying what was probably 100 hours of work...

>I'm SO pissed off right now.  I had 34 megs of HD space remaining, so the
out
>of disk space error was bogus.  Maybe it did something that Win98 didn't
>like??

>And I don't have a backup of the source code either. :(

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
38MB free disk space & WIN98?????? How did you do that??????

I've got over 200MB free, but when WIN95 runs, there's remaining only
150-170MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Sorry for bad english (I'm from Slovenia)!
Matija Polajnar

Quote:
>Sorry, I just need to vent some frustration...

>I was working on a program today (probably about 2000 lines) when all of
the
>sudden TP 7.0 IDE gives me a "heap error." and a "out of disk space" error
>when I tried to shell to DOS.  It then bombed out and saved a 0 byte file
OVER
>my source code - destorying what was probably 100 hours of work...

>I'm SO pissed off right now.  I had 34 megs of HD space remaining, so the
out
>of disk space error was bogus.  Maybe it did something that Win98 didn't
>like??

>And I don't have a backup of the source code either. :(

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!
In comp.lang.pascal.borland, Osmo Ronkanen uttered:
Quote:

>>ISTM that when you saved the previous copy Win98 failed to deal with it
>>properly therefore creating the 0 byte file. When you then saved at the
>>end, there was only the 0 byte copy as backup.

>This IMO is a bug. An editor should never overwrite the backup with zero
>byte file as such a file is clearly a result of a failure.

Quite agree.

--
Pedt Scragg

No-one is completely useless, they can always be a bad example.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!

Quote:
>In comp.lang.pascal.borland, Osmo Ronkanen uttered:

>>This IMO is a bug. An editor should never overwrite the backup with zero
>>byte file as such a file is clearly a result of a failure.

>Quite agree.

This is especially important as the natural human reaction in case of
failure is to repeat the operation.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Arrrgh!!!!! dammit!!!

Quote:
>38MB free disk space & WIN98?????? How did you do that??????

I had 38MB free after Windows created it's swap file...

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT