Problem with replacement CRT unit
Author Message
 Problem with replacement CRT unit

Quote:
>I've identified a problem with Pete Scragg's replacement CRT unit. The
>included readme files suggests that it is possible to use an extended
>text mode, such as 132x25, and that this text mode will stay in effect
>when running a program using the new CRT unit. More specifically, the
>readme file states:

[..]

Quote:
>This happens in both BP 7.0 and BP 7.01. It is certain that the
>problem is not in my code, because the following program will also
>crash if it is compiled with the new CRT unit whenever the display is
>in a non-standard text mode at startup:

>program test_crt;
>uses crt;

>begin
>end.

>If the original Borland supplied CRT unit is restored, then there are
>no problems when an extended text mode is effective at program
>startup, although, of course, the Borland units do reset the display
>to the standard 80x25 text mode.

[..]

Quote:
>Has anyone else experienced this problem with Pedt Scragg's
>replacement CRT unit?

I'd appreciate further information about this. OS/version/how program
is run/etc.  I'd suggest you compile with the /gd option for full .map
file and email me a zipped copy of the .map file and the relevant info
as above plus the error address given by the program when run.

I should be able to provide a debugging version if required.

RTE 216 is GPF - General Protection Fault - IIRC this is not generated
by real mode T/BP programs although you indicate that this happens in
real mode. This then sounds like a possible windows problem if you are
running in a windows DOS box.

I'd appreciate also any reports from people using extended text modes
that do find the unit works correctly.

--
Information on Newsgroup posted weekly on Sunday - read before writing!
Contains links to    |   http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Problem with replacement CRT unit

[problem with extended text modes]

Quote:
>>I've identified a problem with Pete Scragg's replacement CRT unit. The
>>included readme files suggests that it is possible to use an extended
>>text mode, such as 132x25, and that this text mode will stay in effect
>>when running a program using the new CRT unit. More specifically, the
>>readme file states:

>I'd appreciate further information about this. OS/version/how program
>is run/etc.  I'd suggest you compile with the /gd option for full .map
>file and email me a zipped copy of the .map file and the relevant info
>as above plus the error address given by the program when run.

To follow up my own post:

No response from Haye either here or from the emailed copy I sent him
asking for more information. At the moment I am assume it was a problem
with his program as I have received no other reports of problems with
extended text modes.
--
Pedt Scragg
http://signpost-design.co.uk/

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Problem with replacement CRT unit
On Sun, 2 Jan 2000 08:42:26 +0000, Pedt Scragg

Quote:

>[problem with extended text modes]

>>>I've identified a problem with Pete Scragg's replacement CRT unit. The
>>>included readme files suggests that it is possible to use an extended
>>>text mode, such as 132x25, and that this text mode will stay in effect
>>>when running a program using the new CRT unit. More specifically, the
>>>readme file states:

>>I'd appreciate further information about this. OS/version/how program
>>is run/etc.  I'd suggest you compile with the /gd option for full .map
>>file and email me a zipped copy of the .map file and the relevant info
>>as above plus the error address given by the program when run.

Al my tests were performed using plain MS-DOS versions 5.00 and 6.22,
as well as MS-DOS 7.10 included with Windows 98 SE (machine booted to
a DOS prompt, not the MS-DOS box).

Quote:
>To follow up my own post:

>No response from Haye either here or from the emailed copy I sent him
>asking for more information. At the moment I am assume it was a problem
>with his program as I have received no other reports of problems with
>extended text modes.

Sorry, but I never received your email. As stated, it is certainly not
a problem with my program, since every program which uses the new crt
unit exhibits the same problem when the display is in an extended text
mode at program start up. This is true even if the entire program
consists only of:

begin
end.

In the mean time I've confirmed the same problem on a third machine,
again with a different video board. I think that anybody who has a
VESA compliant display adapter capable of doing extended text modes
can easily reproduce the problem by following these steps:

First, select and copy these lines:

a100
mov ax,4f02
mov bx,109
int 10
int 20

rcx
n 132x25.com

(Note that there must be a blank line after the line with int 20).

Save these lines as a text file named 132x25.txt.

Next, run this command from the DOS prompt and in the directory where
you saved the text file:

DEBUG < 132x25.TXT

This command will create an executable file 132x25.COM which you can
use to set up a 132x25 extended text mode on any VESA compliant
display adapter.

Initialise the 132x25 extended text mode, then run any program
compiled with Borland Pascal 7 using Pedt Scragg's replacement CRT
unit. If compiled for real mode, the program will hang at startup,
without issuing any error message. If compiled for protected mode, the
program will also hang without error message. However, depending on
the specific extended text mode used, the DPMI program may also end
with a Runtime error 216 (a GPF).

Haye van den Oever

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. crt.zip Replacement CRT units for Turbo/Borland Pascal

2. wwin20.zip Crt unit TP/BP6+ replacement also for Windoze

3. replacement CRT unit for faster CGA

4. ANN: Replacement CRT Unit and request for Source

5. textset.zip Replacement for TextMode in TP6+/BP CRT unit, Pedt Scragg

6. ANN: Replacement CRT Unit

7. Pentium II problem with programs compiled in Turbo Pascal (CRT unit)

8. CRT unit problem(AGP or PII cpu)

9. CRT unit problem on fast machines

10. Pentium and CRT unit: Problem solved

11. CRT replacement

12. CRT-replacement