Pascal to 'C' FAQ
Author Message
 Pascal to 'C' FAQ

Hi
  Please tell me (this is very urgent - the fate of life (my life) as
we (me and a few close friends) know it is in the balance), does
anybody know of a faq for people moving from Pascal to C?  And also,
what C should I use (Microsoft or Borland or Watcom).
  Please don't ignore me again (wimper wimper)
-=-=-Simon Watkins-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I have implemented a new mail sorting system :

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Thanx -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal to 'C' FAQ

Quote:

>Hi
>  Please tell me (this is very urgent - the fate of life (my life) as
>we (me and a few close friends) know it is in the balance), does
>anybody know of a faq for people moving from pascal to C?  And also,
>what C should I use (Microsoft or Borland or Watcom).
>  Please don't ignore me again (wimper wimper)
>-=-=-Simon Watkins-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>I have implemented a new mail sorting system :

>-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Thanx -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

  Just a reply from myself to myself i  the hope it will dull the blow
of being ignored by the ENTIRE world

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal to 'C' FAQ

Quote:
>Hi
>  Please tell me (this is very urgent - the fate of life (my life) as
>we (me and a few close friends) know it is in the balance), does
>anybody know of a faq for people moving from pascal to C?  And also,
>what C should I use (Microsoft or Borland or Watcom).

Don't know about any FAQ but it's not difficult to translate by hand. I prefer
Borland C/C++ but I'm sure other people have thier preferences.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal to 'C' FAQ
Quote:

> >Hi
> >  Please tell me (this is very urgent - the fate of life (my life) as
> >we (me and a few close friends) know it is in the balance), does
> >anybody know of a faq for people moving from pascal to C?  And also,

[snip]

doesn't Borland provide a quick guide to move from pascal to c
within their docs anymore? I remember having learnt a bit of C with
this; it was enclosed as part of the Manuals of TurboC 2.0 for Atari
(long time ago...) and had its focus maily on the Pointers and
Variable passing to subroutines, which is the most significant difference
between C and Pascal

maybe this helps

good luck
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal to 'C' FAQ

Quote:

> >Hi
> >  Please tell me (this is very urgent - the fate of life (my life) as
> >we (me and a few close friends) know it is in the balance), does
> >anybody know of a faq for people moving from pascal to C?  And also,
> >what C should I use (Microsoft or Borland or Watcom).
> >  Please don't ignore me again (wimper wimper)
> >-=-=-Simon Watkins-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> >I have implemented a new mail sorting system :

> >-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Thanx -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
>   Just a reply from myself to myself i  the hope it will dull the blow
> of being ignored by the ENTIRE world

Ok then, I'll reply to you now.. :)

You shouldn't need an FAQ really, if you are competent (ie fluent) in
both languages then its easy! :) If you are not then I suggest you learn
both languages. Learning PASCAL is not all that hard, I learnt basically
everything in 4 months, well I already knew ASM and quite a bit of C so it
was nice and simple.

Onto which compiler you should use now... :)

DONT use microsoft. They haven't produced a DOS compiler for ages now
(so they obviously dont care) and all of their modern compilers NEED
Windows NT or 95. Microsoft Dos C is also very slowwww.....

Borland Cs are the most standard, the fastest and usually the best for
standard programming. Some of them can handle protected mode etc, Borland
is my recommendation.

Watcom Cs are very good, they are slightly harder to use (no IDE etc) but
they are a little bit faster. :)

Go for Borland C++ or Turbo C or something.. :)

Mail me if you need any help.

Cheers :)

--
Peter Cooper

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal to 'C' FAQ

Quote:
>>  Please tell me (this is very urgent - the fate of life (my life) as
>>we (me and a few close friends) know it is in the balance), does
>>anybody know of a faq for people moving from pascal to C?  And also,

I found a book called Moving from Turbo Pascal to Turbo C++ by Sams Publishing.
Cost me a whole $5.98 at a local bookstore.  I haven't had much time to use it yet
but maybe that is what you need.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Pascal to 'C' FAQ
: >>  Please tell me (this is very urgent - the fate of life (my life) as
: >>we (me and a few close friends) know it is in the balance), does
: >>anybody know of a faq for people moving from pascal to C?  And also,

: I found a book called Moving from Turbo Pascal to Turbo C++ by Sams Publishing.
: Cost me a whole $5.98 at a local bookstore.  I haven't had much time to use it yet
: but maybe that is what you need.

And I own another book called "From Pascal to C" which was excellent.
Unfortunately it covers the language, very close -some friends wrote a
#define which lets them make their C code look like Pascal-, and not the
libraries.  That is a much bigger issue.

I used to teach Pascal.  In sum: Pascal can pass by value or by
reference, fortran only by reference, C only by value.  All the rest is
commentary.  Or complications.

My book is in N.E.W.Hollywood in my studio and I am elsewhere, so I cant
give you any more details but Barnes and Noble will order any book
without obligation and some of them are open to 11pm with coffee too.
Scan city.

Umm, need a programmer of any sort.  I am flexible and available.  A bit
of retreading and I will do just fine.  It's like riding a bicycle...
So I am open to job opportunities or other?

  New simple, seed homepage at http://{*filter*}verse.com/~spirit/index.html
  "LA, Chicago, The Valley, Chicago again.  Who knows where next?"

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. type field ''money''

2. IndexDefs.Add('Help','Please',[ixD2WorksGreat, ixD3Errors])

3. 'C' to PASCAL translator

4. Looking for equivalent to 'friend'(C++) in object pascal

5. TmT Pascal Lite question 'Speed Bumps'

6. Playing CD's or MIDI's in pascal

7. 'Bitfields' in Pascal

8. Playing AVI's and WAV's Through Turbo Pascal

9. pascal 'real' data to vb 'double'

10. CLPB Mini-FAQ V1.39 - Essential Reading if you are new to this newsgroup

11. Mini & Meta FAQ's

12. Timo's FAQ: Bug in #108