That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug
Author Message
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Okay, before you flame me read this entire message first because I'm
_not_ posting a question about how to fix the much talked about delay
bug, I'm asking how to duplicate it.

Currently, I have three programs I distribute as shareware (and a fourth
in development). All are DOS based text mode utilities compiled with
TP5. Each of them not only uses the CRT unit but the delay function as
well. None of them, however, have this divide by zero error I've been
seeing posted so often.

The fastest machine I have run them on is a 400mhz PII with 128 meg of
RAM. Each one loads and runs fine, without a single problem. The
reported problems seem to be on 300mhz or higher machines, but I can't
duplicate it at all.

Is there something in specific that a program must do before the problem
manifests itself? Does it only occur under certain circumstances? With
the number of posts I see regarding this issue I would have to say that
it is rather prevelent but I sure can't seem to duplicate it.

--

Regards,
Jim Wilson

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Quote:

>Okay, before you flame me read this entire message first because I'm
>_not_ posting a question about how to fix the much talked about delay
>bug, I'm asking how to duplicate it.

>Currently, I have three programs I distribute as shareware (and a fourth
>in development). All are DOS based text mode utilities compiled with
>TP5. Each of them not only uses the CRT unit but the delay function as
>well. None of them, however, have this divide by zero error I've been
>seeing posted so often.

>The fastest machine I have run them on is a 400mhz PII with 128 meg of
>RAM. Each one loads and runs fine, without a single problem. The
>reported problems seem to be on 300mhz or higher machines, but I can't
>duplicate it at all.

>Is there something in specific that a program must do before the problem
>manifests itself? Does it only occur under certain circumstances? With
>the number of posts I see regarding this issue I would have to say that
>it is rather prevelent but I sure can't seem to duplicate it.

It's only present in TP7 / BP7 I believe, as it was actually a bug fix for
the delay in earlier versions - you should have noticed the delays in your
program were pitifully short on your 400mhz computer.

Lors, Paradice Software
Christchurch, New Zealand

http://surf.to/paradice
Creators of the cool new graphical RPG, Hymn To Tourach.
--

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Quote:
>Currently, I have three programs I distribute as shareware (and a fourth
>in development). All are DOS based text mode utilities compiled with
>TP5. Each of them not only uses the CRT unit but the delay function as
>well. None of them, however, have this divide by zero error I've been
>seeing posted so often.

This bug is not a TP5 feature; to obtain it, you must upgrade to (IIRC)
TP7/BP7.

Also IIRC, but what I have known is on
http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-time.htm ,
you will be getting delays that are both incorrect and machine-
dependent; other delay methods could be better, such as by wait-looping
on a prudent manner on the 55ms clock if that resolution suffices.

--

  Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - TP/BP/&c. FAQqish topics & links.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Quote:
> This bug is not a TP5 feature; to obtain it, you must upgrade to (IIRC)
> TP7/BP7.

I realize this bug is not a "feature", otherwise it would have been
developed by Micro$oft!  :-)

BTW; what is IIRC?

--

Regards,
Jim Wilson

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Quote:
> It's only present in TP7 / BP7 I believe, as it was actually a bug fix
> for the delay in earlier versions - you should have noticed the delays
> in your program were pitifully short on your 400mhz computer.

The TP7/BP7 association seems to be accurate, in as much as a number of
people made the same reference. But I could swear that I've seen posts
alluding to fixes for version of TP other than 7. Hmmm...

And pitifull is indeed a good word for it. So too would be non-existent
or useless.  :-)

--

Regards,
Jim Wilson

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Quote:
>> It's only present in TP7 / BP7 I believe, as it was actually a bug fix
>> for the delay in earlier versions - you should have noticed the delays
>> in your program were pitifully short on your 400mhz computer.

>The TP7/BP7 association seems to be accurate, in as much as a number of
>people made the same reference. But I could swear that I've seen posts
>alluding to fixes for version of TP other than 7. Hmmm...

1) people may fix non-existing problems. 2) TP before 7.0 has also a
delay bug, delays are too short from 486 machines on. The TP 7.0 bug was
introduced when that old bug was fixed.

Osmo

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Quote:
>BTW; what is IIRC?

Standard, for "If I Recall Correctly" (or similar).  Lists of such are
linked indirectly from below.

--

  Web <URL: http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQish topics, acronyms, & links.
  Correct 4-line sig. separator is as above, a line precisely "-- " (SoRFC1036)

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 That little :-) delay/div by 0 bug

Quote:

>... I could swear that I've seen posts
>alluding to fixes for version of TP other than 7. Hmmm...

Fixes like RDELAY.ZIP (available at Garbo or
http://users.leading.net/~rdonais/tpascal.htm)
can be used with versions other than 7.0 to correct
inaccuracies in the delay procedure.

    ...red

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. DIV/0 bug in crt unit?

2. Another Delay bug?

3. Delay() and/or divide by zero bug.

4. Division by Zero, Run-time Error 200, CRT delay() function bug

5. tppatch.zip A patch of the TP files for the 200MHz delay bug, A.Bauer

6. Fix for Crt Delay bug (200MHz / PPro) updated

7. ERROR 200:Div. by zero

8. DIV & MOD EXAMPLE

9. TP - sin and div!!!

10. CRT unit div 0 err on fast computers

11. crt unit - div by zero error

12. Pentium II Compilerprobleme (Runtimeerror 200 (Div /0))