Download problems
Author Message
 Download problems

I am new to Oberon but I'm very e{*filter*}d to try it out on embedded
single board computers for material handing and industrial control.

However, I'm having a heck of a time downloading the files.  I have
tried getting the System3/Native/DosBased files from ftp.inf.ethz.ch
and from wuarchive.wustl.edu.  After a suprisingly slow download, I
assemble the pieces using the copy /b dosbased.aa+... etc to get a
dosbased.zip, but each time the resulting zip file shows corruption
part way through.  I've tried this on several machines through several
ISPs.

The file sizes on my machine match the sizes on the host machine,
and my ZIP file is 6,668,652 bytes large.

Any ideas?  Can I buy a CD, or a book with a CD?

Thanks,
Mark Woodworth
Numina Systems Corporation
60 Shore Dr
Burr Ridge, IL 60521 USA
(630) 323-0110

www.numinasys.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Download problems

Quote:

> I am new to Oberon but I'm very e{*filter*}d to try it out on embedded
> single board computers for material handing and industrial control.

> However, I'm having a heck of a time downloading the files.  I have
> tried getting the System3/Native/DosBased files from ftp.inf.ethz.ch
> and from wuarchive.wustl.edu.  After a suprisingly slow download, I
> assemble the pieces using the copy /b dosbased.aa+... etc to get a
> dosbased.zip, but each time the resulting zip file shows corruption
> part way through.  I've tried this on several machines through several
> ISPs.

> The file sizes on my machine match the sizes on the host machine,
> and my ZIP file is 6,668,652 bytes large.

> Any ideas?  Can I buy a CD, or a book with a CD?

> Thanks,
> Mark Woodworth
> Numina Systems Corporation
> 60 Shore Dr
> Burr Ridge, IL 60521 USA
> (630) 323-0110

> www.numinasys.com

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

I have successfully downloaded the set of 5 files from:
"ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/oberon/System3/Native/DosBased/"
Here is the log report:

System.ChangeDirectory E:/temp/dosbased
System.Time 22.06.1999 12:02:11
FTP.GetFile dosbased.aa => dosbased.aa Transfer complete.
FTP.GetFile dosbased.ab => dosbased.ab Transfer complete.
FTP.GetFile dosbased.ac => dosbased.ac Transfer complete.
FTP.GetFile dosbased.ad => dosbased.ad Transfer complete.
FTP.GetFile dosbased.ae => dosbased.ae Transfer complete.
System.Time 22.06.1999 12:06:36
The complete .zip file was built with copy /b ....
and checked out with WinZIP. The file is not corrupted.
Each file can be extracted without difficulty.

How about having a try at the standalone 2.3.6 release?
"ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Update/v236/StdAlone/"

The CD-ROM that is in The Oberon Companion book is not valid anymore.
Several releases have appeared since it was issued.

Appart from that, did you order the file names correctly?
We are evaluating another distribution form for this file.

Andr Fischer

Consult our FAQ regularly: http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Download problems

Quote:
> I have successfully downloaded the set of 5 files from:
> "ftp://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/oberon/System3/Native/DosBased/"
> Here is the log report:

> System.ChangeDirectory E:/temp/dosbased
> System.Time 22.06.1999 12:02:11
> FTP.GetFile dosbased.aa => dosbased.aa Transfer complete.
> FTP.GetFile dosbased.ab => dosbased.ab Transfer complete.
> FTP.GetFile dosbased.ac => dosbased.ac Transfer complete.
> FTP.GetFile dosbased.ad => dosbased.ad Transfer complete.
> FTP.GetFile dosbased.ae => dosbased.ae Transfer complete.
> System.Time 22.06.1999 12:06:36
> The complete .zip file was built with copy /b ....
> and checked out with WinZIP. The file is not corrupted.
> Each file can be extracted without difficulty.

> How about having a try at the standalone 2.3.6 release?
> "ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/Oberon/System3/Update/v236/StdAlone/"

> The CD-ROM that is in The Oberon Companion book is not valid anymore.
> Several releases have appeared since it was issued.

> Appart from that, did you order the file names correctly?
> We are evaluating another distribution form for this file.

> Andr Fischer

Thank you for your kind and rapid support.  The problem may have been
me, or maybe an inconsistency in Microsoft software (can you believe
it?)  :-)

I had been doing the copy /b... part in a Dos Box under Windows NT.
When I redid the copy under DOS 6.22, it skipped the last file.
When I redid the copy with shorter names under DOS 6.22, all was well!
I can now bring up the system.

Part of what I am looking for is a remote system that I can support
with the thinnest of services, say a serial line and a terminal or
terminal emulator.  I was attracted to Oberon because it seems small
enough to fit on the Single Board Computers I am using, lean enough
to run fast, and complete enough not to require a tethered environment
on a desktop machine.  I apologize in advance if I am asking a silly
question, but can Oberon be run from a simple terminal, and if so,
how much is given up without a graphical display and mouse?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 08 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. NCVW7 download problems?

2. J download problems

3. Dolphin: Download problems

4. VW: Linux - download problem

5. Dynamic Caml v.0.1 download problems

6. Edipar download problem

7. Downloading problem with LOD

8. Lattice isp daisy chain download problem

9. A download problem

10. file download problem with mozilla

11. Tracking download problems

12. Logtalk: www download problem solved